SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th February 2021, 07:54

Default Has anyone used Zoom before? - Anxiety

Hey all, as I've mentioned before, I have telephobia which I think is likely to run into a video call too.

At the end of May I have a meeting with a private psychologist for a health related matter.
Since it's lockdown everything is done via Zoom.

I've never used it before so I'd like to know more about it to lessen any extra anxiety before the meeting.

Any advice?
Old 11th February 2021, 08:20

Default Re: Has anyone used Zoom before? - Anxiety

I have used it several times. If you have used facetime before it's pretty much the same thing.

Depending how many are on the zoom call will be a box with each person's camera in. There is a option to disable video during the call if I remember right.

A email or text message is sent with the link and code to join the session. I don't like zoom calls primarily because I get sick of holding my phone up to my face. It's far easier if you are sitting at a desk with a webcam or tablet.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Old 11th February 2021, 09:57

Mood
Lucky

Just check you haven't got any filters on before you start:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-56005428
Old 11th February 2021, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnxiousExtrovert
I have used it several times. If you have used facetime before it's pretty much the same thing.

Depending how many are on the zoom call will be a box with each person's camera in. There is a option to disable video during the call if I remember right.

A email or text message is sent with the link and code to join the session. I don't like zoom calls primarily because I get sick of holding my phone up to my face. It's far easier if you are sitting at a desk with a webcam or tablet.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Thank you never used facetime before but I have a laptop so it should be on a steady surface at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkin
Just check you haven't got any filters on before you start:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-56005428
Hahaha I saw that. But imagine if I was seeing the psychiatrist telling them I think I'm a cat
Old 11th February 2021, 21:58

Mood
Mellow

I really dislike video calling of any sort. Its not because I don't want to see other people, I just don't like that it an see myself on the corner of the screen because I don't like how I look. I have used Zoom a few times for social calls but I have to use Microsoft Teams in work as we use laptops at home. I don't bother putting the camera on, which usually results in comments. I'm not exactly going to start taking about how I hate my face during a meeting am I? Plus I share a living room so it's not exactly a private area. Luckily some other folk in my team don't bother with cameras either. But it infuriates me when people I don't know from my company try to video call me.... Like please email or call me normally. I find it quite intrusive tbh.

I just hate how expected video calling is. Makes me miss speaking to people face to face because at least I'm not seeing a mirror image of my mug.

But anyway sorry for the rant. I hope you have a better experience than me!
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:48

Mood
Bashful

Sillypenguin, I too share your dislike of video calling for the same reason, but unlike you I don't mercifully have to do it at work.. It's a long story but I have to do a video call with my wife in Newcastle every Sunday and Thursday but only after dark. I make sure I don't have any lights on, so my face is illuminated only by the light from my tablet. I used to try to keep my thumb over the square in the corner of the screen with my face in it but my thumb used to ache after a while!

Wife used to comment on the lack of illumination but I made some excuse and now she seems used to it. I had to do a three way conversation in daylight with wife and a nephew last summer in the daytime and found it absolutely excruciating, so much so I couldn't concentrate on what anyone was saying and the flight or fight response kicked in.

It's the strangeness of not only seeing your own face constantly but also the unnerving experience of also seeing yourself talking. It can be bad enough talking to people face to face sometimes and feeling the discomfort in my face without actually having to see it as well.

So yes, I'm with you all the way.