SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th September 2023, 23:55

Default Do you love the sea?

Are you attracted to the ocean and the sea?

Old 28th September 2023, 23:55

Mood
Breezy

Default Re: Do you love the sea?

I like it, I don't love it.
Old 28th September 2023, 23:59

Why don't you love it, Percy?
Old 29th September 2023, 00:03

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perhaps
Why don't you love it, Percy?
Prefer woodlands TBH. Plus I'm scared of drowning.
Old 29th September 2023, 01:15

I like the sea (the sound of waves lapping against the shore is so relaxing) but I can't say I love it for the same reason as Percy. If I had the choice of living in a house surrounded by green pastures and woodlands or a house looking out towards the sea I'd pick the former.

What would you prefer Perhaps?
Old 29th September 2023, 04:40

I love the sea. There's a seaside I go to that has a forest right by the sea, that's my favourite to go to. Although, I don't love that human waste is being pumped into the sea :[

The oceans are nicer and clearer in warmer climates and going for a swim in the sea is lully.

Lovely beaches in Wales too.
Old 29th September 2023, 08:16

It's alright, I guess.
Old 29th September 2023, 08:17

Visited stokes bay recently and the smell from sewage was so bad we had to leave. Do I love the sea? Not any more no.

Worth checking this site before visiting Southern beaches https://www.southernwater.co.uk/wate...life/beachbuoy
Old 29th September 2023, 16:07

I enjoy being beside the sea, but I don't like being on beaches - I hate the feel of walking on soft sand. I'm just back from a few days in Cornwall, where I did some lovely clifftop walks (and saw some nice beaches, from a distance).

I like being on the sea and never sleep better than when I'm in a ship's cabin, but on a recent-ish (in January) trip, I wasn't impressed by spending three days in a row without any scenery other than the sea (although sightings of passing whales and dolphins, as well as several species of birds and penguins, were very welcome).

Edit: before anyone makes this point, I am aware that penguins are birds (yes, I did say birds and penguins, but I meant birds which fly - and penguins).
Old 29th September 2023, 16:38

Old 29th September 2023, 18:02

Oh and I do like to be beside the sea! And of course the side!
Old 29th September 2023, 18:03

^ Shouldn't that be Ben Shores?
Old 29th September 2023, 18:13

^
Very good, GI
Old 29th September 2023, 19:20

Mood
Lurking

We've got some of the best empty beaches in Britain up here. Great for walking the dog on the beach all the year round, none of those stupid rules like they have in touristy places.
Old 29th September 2023, 19:43

Consolida, I'm attracted to the ocean in general, but something about traveling by the sea for days in particular gives me unknown spiritual feelings.

Even though I have never traveled by sea from place to the other side of the world like people used to in the past,, I get , not exactly memories, more like flashbacks/glimpses/obscure recollections of being familiar with the whole experience, with even its sounds, even getting to know and listening to stranger's stories since we spend long days there together. a whole parallel life but in the sea.

In real life I do live in a coastal city, but what I'm talking about is something else one can't really experience today with all the terrible lights coming from the phones in our hands we staring at 24/7

Old 29th September 2023, 19:50

I remember having a Jaws-esqe moment when swimming in the sea in Barcelona. I was swimming and a condom started floating towards me and I screamed and tried to swim away from it.

Imagine swallowing it :O!
Old 29th September 2023, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphrey
We've got some of the best empty beaches in Britain up here. Great for walking the dog on the beach all the year round, none of those stupid rules like they have in touristy places.
You mean like Redcar?
Old 29th September 2023, 21:16
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I do like the sea. Though most of the beaches near me are stoney. Climping is a bit half and half and West Wittering is beautiful (white sand dunes) but expensive and in high season too busy and full of total tw*ts

I love the beaches up in Scotland but too cold brrr. And I guess in my childhood the East coast of England (Lincolnshire/Norfolk etc..).

I'm another one though that probably prefers woodland, farmland or mountains etc..
Old 29th September 2023, 22:49

Mood
Alienated

Yes, I love the sea. I’m lucky to live about 20 mins away from the sea, and I always feel better when I visit. I had an incredibly stressful day at work this week, so drove with my dog to the beach after work.
While I also love woodlands, the mud in the winter really annoys me, and it’s not somewhere I like to go if it’s getting the dark. Whereas, the sea (well, more specifically the beach) I like going at all times of the year, and it’s great at dusk if there is a good sunset.
There’s also lots of wildlife on the coast - whereas in the forest I’m lucky to see one bird. There’s a nearby area which has marshland meeting the sea and there’s so much rare wildlife to see.

Although the sea does relax me, it’s starting to make me feel a bit angry sometimes - considering the amount of excrement the UK government are allowing water companies to pump in to it. There have been huge amounts of sewage releases at my local beaches recently. Starts making you wonder which brown slimy stuff is naturally from the sea and which is not.
Old 29th September 2023, 23:01

Old 1st October 2023, 11:49

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
You mean like Redcar?
No. Like Boulmer, Bamburgh, Alnmouth, Duridge Bay etc, the ones in Northumberland.
Old 1st October 2023, 12:25

Mood
Melancholy

I've never lived inland. All my homes have been within half a mile of the sea. In one case less than 100 yards. I miss it when away inland somewhere, for sure. Also, having a coast nearby gives you a sense of direction. This also applies to mountains or big visible landmarks in cities (Edinburgh castle for example). I get hopelessly lost if I visit our HQ in flat Cambridgeshire
Old 1st October 2023, 12:27

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
I do like the sea. Though most of the beaches near me are stoney. Climping is a bit half and half and West Wittering is beautiful (white sand dunes) but expensive and in high season too busy and full of total tw*ts

I love the beaches up in Scotland but too cold brrr. And I guess in my childhood the East coast of England (Lincolnshire/Norfolk etc..).

I'm another one though that probably prefers woodland, farmland or mountains etc..
I used to go to West Wittering with my family when I was young Very typical British seaside.

I like the sea but there's no way I'd go in it knowing what's been pumped into it in recent times and the risk of illness!
Old 1st October 2023, 13:40

Yes, it's probably my favourite thing.
Being in the sea all day, the sound and energy of it, swimming, body boarding (left it too late to learn to actually surf sadly), lying on the sand, shells, the smell of it, the taste of seawater, the way you feel when you're all sunburned and seawashed, sun sparkles on waves. Love it.
Old 2nd October 2023, 16:59

I do. It's really relaxing to look at.

I'm really lucky because our house backs onto an old dock, so we have views of the water from all our back windows/doors. It feels like being on a ferry from upstairs.

The compromise is we have a couple of balconies instead of a garden, which is a bit of a pain at times. I'd find it really difficult to move and lose the view though.
Old 4th October 2023, 20:36

Yes, I do love the sea. I especially like it when it's stormy and there are waves and wind and spray. The Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland has the best waves.
Old 4th October 2023, 21:37

Old 5th October 2023, 22:22

Mood
Musical

I'm lucky i guess i live within walking distance of the sea... for me when i need to clear my head abit i often walk down and hear the soothing waves if the tides in.... always its great for watching the sunset in the summer months!