SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th February 2011, 17:55

Default weird coping technique when out and about

Hi everyone, I just want to know if I'm alone in doing this...

When I go out I have to take my mobile phone with me. Not for the obvious texting and actually calling people. I need it so that I can *pretend* to chat to people. I've gotten into this habit over the last couple of years, taking my phone out and having imaginary conversations with people as I walk along busy streets, or sometimes even when there's noone about if I'm feeling particularly self-conscious that day. Some of these fake conversations have gone on for over half an hour! and I find myself creating these elaborate "stories" in my head about what this fake friend is saying to me. I know this sounds really sad =( I just do it to distract myself from the people all around me. I need to get out of this habit, especially if someone is trying to call me for real, (I put my phone on silent to avoid the embarrassment if someone actually does call when I'm pretending).
Anyway I just wondered if I'm the only person doing this. =S

Also sorry I'm new here. Probably should introduce myself briefly; female, 25...not much else to tell really. I find this forum very helpful though, and it's nice not to feel so alone.
Old 8th February 2011, 18:36

Mood
Cool

Default Re: weird coping technique when out and about

Yeh Ive done that. It takes the attention off your surroundings and makes you unapproachable, so you feel safer, almost like your invisible (Like an ostrich burying its head in the sand to feel secure)
Old 8th February 2011, 19:43

Mood
Brooding

I call my mom for random conversations when Im out shopping because I hate shopping alone. Always have my earphones in.
Old 8th February 2011, 20:10

I normally just go out with my headphones on, but did something a bit like this today! Was in a shop getting some food, ordered/paid and then saw something else that I wanted, but didn't want to seem greedy so pretended I got a phone-call from somebody at home who wanted me to also get them some food
Old 8th February 2011, 20:37

Mood
Alienated

i dont think i could fake a phone call, id be convinced people could see i was talking to myself

i do pretend to text at awkward times though (which usually involves loading up the internet..perhaps typing in google.....and then closing it )
Old 8th February 2011, 20:38

Mood
Chatty

I do this exact same thing.

Problem is, I don't know how to 'be' around other people.
Its like I'm on autopilot and all the moves are wrong
I don't know how to walk past people, where my eyes should look, how my arms should move, or even trying to walk straight, ( my legs go all wobbly as people walk past me )

So I pull my mobile out and pretend to be engrossed in that, and it focuses my attention on something else.
I can't go out without it.

I guess when I do my CBT starting this month, they will work through ways of dealing with walking around outside.

( weirdly though, if theres a huge crowd, Im anxious but not seriously so, but if I'm on a street, and somebody is slowly walking towards me from a distance away, the anxiety builds and builds and builds ... )
Old 9th February 2011, 12:18

I though this topic was going to be about something really odd, however I find myself doing the same things mentioned above I rarely speak to my self but I am sure my mum is sick of speaking to me sometimes. lol

I also pretend text too.
In some situation it helps me think too, if some one thinks you are preoccupied that they will normal wait til you are done, this give me some thinking time if required.
Saritor
Old 9th February 2011, 13:25

Mood
Crappy

i use to do this in college alot as if to fool people in to thinking i had some sort of cool life outside of college
Old 9th February 2011, 14:58

Mood
Thinking

Crazy as it sounds my social anxiety extends to talking to people on the phone is well, I'm really messed up. Faking a call on my mobile would also initiate a shyness event in me.
Old 9th February 2011, 22:40

Mood
Alienated

i feel dangerous when i am out and would dare any one to mess with me. getting sectioned made me more angry and ready to explode! raagh!!!!
Old 13th February 2011, 00:44

want to thank everyone for replying to my question =) it helps to know I'm not the only one doing this! Oh and the times I've fiddled about sending pretend texts just to escape the world around me, lost count!
Old 13th February 2011, 01:32

Mood
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom

i dont think i could fake a phone call, id be convinced people could see i was talking to myself
Same here as I've seen a few people that a knew where talking to them self's i could never talk to myself for a hour and half my convos on the phone only last about 2 minutes at best, I do pretend text tho got a iphone so mostly just search the net now or read the news.
Closed Thread