SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you have an alcohol problem?
My drinking is out of control 11 22.92%
I am in control of my drinking 9 18.75%
Alcohol is not a problem for me 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 1st March 2008, 11:47

Default alcohol problem

I was wondering how many people here think they have a problem with alcohol.

I've tried to quit or cut down many times. Sometimes it seems like I've done it but it never lasts. So I guess my drinking is out of control.
Old 1st March 2008, 11:53

Mood
Crappy

Default Re: alcohol problem

yes - I have a problem
Old 1st March 2008, 12:55

hmm i find i enjoy being drunk when i get the oppertunity, as i loosen up and become less self concious. But i couldn't do it all the time, as i seem to be an uber ligtweight. i think iv thown up almost everytime iv drunk (not as bad as it sounds)- not from drinking accessivley- just a few glasses and then off to the loo! (for a spew!)
i also get cracking hangovers.
some alcohol i can't drink at all- namely vodka. i have spewed after one sip of it diluted in coke before.

hmm.
Old 1st March 2008, 13:08

No problem for me. Ive been around people who enjoyed getting drunk and had to clean up the results. That was enough to put me off getting anywhere near drunk.
Old 1st March 2008, 13:20
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. My moods are bad enough without adding drink.
Old 1st March 2008, 16:53

Yup anyone here will tell you about my battle with alcohol.

I don't get agressive or nasty, I don't hock my guts up, but I DO drink far too much.

And I'm NOT proud.
Old 1st March 2008, 17:25

Mood
Cool

Hardly touch the stuff so not an issue for me.
Old 1st March 2008, 17:44
I.G.

I don't drink, so not an issue.
Old 1st March 2008, 18:19

Mood
Pensive

I love a drink and enjoy many varied forms of alcohol, however I hate the feeling of being drunk and I'm not overly keen on mild inebriation either. It just does absolutely nothing for me at all

Similarly (and this is the weird bit) it does nothing, nada, zilch to relax me or lower my inhibitions in any way shape or form. I try not to reveal that too often as this oddness is yet another fact i find embarrassing to admit to. Usually it's either met with blank looks or a bemused grins.

To me, alcohol (some of it) is just 'a nice drink' now and again, end of.
Old 1st March 2008, 18:44

Mood
Mellow

I too enjoy a drink or few at the weekends but fortunately my body can only take 3 or 4 pints before i start to feel bloated, plus despite my drunken state I am usually aware and know my limits and stick to water or soft drinks after.
Old 2nd March 2008, 07:32

Mood
Crappy

onone I am just wondering how much you drink?? How much should one drink before it can be classed as a 'problem' . I suppose if I only had one bottle of wine a week it would be a bottle drank for all the wrong reasons and i wouldn't enjoy it, there lies the problem.
Old 2nd March 2008, 07:39

Mood
Crappy

here is the results of a quiz I just did do

Alcoholism Screening Quiz gQuestionList.WriteHTML();

You answered 10 items out of 20 Yes.
Your score is 50%. According to the Office of Health Care Programs, Johns Hopkins University Hospital, developers of this screening quiz, if you answered as few as 3 of these questions with a Yes it is a definite sign that your drinking patterns are harmful and considered alcohol dependent or alcoholic. Since you answered more than 3 questions Yes you should seek an evaluation by a healthcare professional.

SH1t! perhaps I should go to AA or something?
Old 2nd March 2008, 09:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIS
onone I am just wondering how much you drink?? How much should one drink before it can be classed as a 'problem' .
At the moment I am drinking most nights. In the past I have got it down to only at the weekends. There was a time when I would drink myself unconscious every night.

I don't know if a drink problem is only about quantity.
I figure if you have to force yourself not to drink then it's a problem.
If you're unable to stop yourself then it must be getting out of control.

http://alcoholism.about.com/od/problem/a/blquiz1.htm

I got 50% on that quiz. A lot of the questions didn't apply to me. Alcohol is not detrimental to my life because I don't have one.

Thanks for all the replies, people. I thought there would be more drinkers tbh. When you're a drunkard it's easy to assume everyone else is drunk too.
I've been a drinker since my early teens. My parents drank every night and so did everyone I knew. It is a stupid habit though. I feel much better if I can spend a few days without drinking. I don't know why I can't just be happy like that.

I'm going to make a new effort to stop. I know I am capable of doing it. If I carry on like this I'm going to end up in a bad way.
It's only the negative thinking that stops me from quitting. It makes me feel good that I look like crap. I get pain in my liver and it just makes me want to drink more. This is the thinking of an idiot.
Old 6th March 2008, 12:40

55% here.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I definitely have a problem and find it incredibly difficult not to drink in an evening. I get overwhelming cravings for alcohol. It's something that has gradually developed over the years of self-medicating with booze to escape other demons. My tolerance for red wine is astounding and I rarely get hangovers. I never drink in the day, but my evening habit is now completely out of control.

My doctor has told me to try to cut down gradually and not to stop suddenly, which is dangerous at my levels. This will be a challenge because when I start drinking, the cravings for more are stronger than if I'd not opened a bottle. I hate alcohol and want to reach a point this year where I'll never touch another drop of the evil stuff, but it's going to be a long, hard fight.
Closed Thread