SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 7th July 2009, 19:55

Mood
Thinking

Default Fading friendships!

An inevitable part of life, I'm sure you'll agree, but just wondered how this particular issue affected peeps!

Well, I think holding onto to certain friendships over the last few months worsened my depression, making me feel all the more apathetic about friendship itself/ people themselves!

I know all relationships are draining for 'us' peeps.. I'm just trying to pick myself up and reach out again....... Coz it strikes me, when ur a deep person its all the more difficult to form friendships!....... Saying this, maybe I'm just holding onto this idea of being deep, when in fact I'm just the same as everyone else [this is a huge prob I've experienced with a lot of sufferers; the need have a monopoly over certain personality traits]

I also accept that- throughout our lives and relationships/friendships we need/want different things from peeps.......... But I do feel its more difficult for 'us', since its soooooo easy to become jaded and disillusoned by the whole process.

I'm constantly being told by 'non-sa' peeps that I need to spend more time with 'positive' people, which is an opinion I can respect, but aren't these the folk we are more likely to feel fraudulent with?

Old 7th July 2009, 21:12

Default Re: Fading friendships!

Quote:
Well, I think holding onto to certain friendships over the last few months worsened my depression, making me feel all the more apathetic about friendship itself/ people themselves!
It's quite possible to feel this way if they aren't the kind of people that you actually enjoy spending time with. Friendships are only worthwhile if both parties get something out of the time spent together. Maybe you could have a think about why you were attracted to spending time with certain people in the first place?

I think as most people get older they lose touch with some people and certain friendships reach a natural end. From what i've observed I don't really think this is exclusive to sa but just part of life. I don't make much of an effort to keep in touch with a couple of friends anymore because we don't really have much in common now we're older and our lives have changed so meeting up with them is less worthwhile than it used to be. I don't think it's anything to beat yourself up about if it feels right to let a friendship dissolve.
Old 7th July 2009, 23:58

Mood
Creative

I don't find it easy to make friends as it's hard to meet like minded people in a world that's dominated by extroverts but I'm good at maintaining contact with friends if I *have* managed to strike a connection with someone.
Old 9th July 2009, 21:20

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinInTeacups
It's quite possible to feel this way if they aren't the kind of people that you actually enjoy spending time with. Friendships are only worthwhile if both parties get something out of the time spent together. Maybe you could have a think about why you were attracted to spending time with certain people in the first place?

I think as most people get older they lose touch with some people and certain friendships reach a natural end. From what i've observed I don't really think this is exclusive to sa but just part of life. I don't make much of an effort to keep in touch with a couple of friends anymore because we don't really have much in common now we're older and our lives have changed so meeting up with them is less worthwhile than it used to be. I don't think it's anything to beat yourself up about if it feels right to let a friendship dissolve.

I think u raise some gud points here.........

But..... I do think Social Anxiety can quite easily come between two people........ Although, of course this brings self-acceptance into the equation [eg. holding onto certain people may be at the expense the need to move into a different direction].

Yes, all friendships fade...... Maybe I'm a sensitive soul like......errrr...... Sensitive Soul!
Closed Thread