SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 31st December 2006, 16:36

Default do some 'friends' make your SA worse?

right, at my old place of work before i was made redundant i was pretty good mates with the other apprentaces they were a good laugh but are quite crazy! i didnt mind this at work relieved the boredom of the day, but out of work the craziness continued and say if we went out for a meal or something they would start throwing food get drunk and generally misbehave which for me felt rather embarrasing as eveyone would start looking over. also its got to a point whenever they ring they just wanna go out into town to get drunk, as as a non drinker not really any fun for me.
i havent contacted them for over 6 months and with my other friends i have become much more confident cus they are much more mature, but now these old work mates have started ringing me again and they don't take no as a valid answer lol! anyone else have friends who mean well but end up making you feel worse?
Old 31st December 2006, 19:43

Default Re: do some 'friends' make your SA worse?

My one friend who I love to bits makes me feel like that sometimes. She's very outgoing, attractive, funny, smiley and has more friends than she can fit in an addresss book. She has to arrange a schedule just to see me.

I'm her best friend (I think) but I feel like all her other friends are more a part of her world than I am. When I'm around her I just feel embarassed about myself and it makes me see exactly what I'm not.

She also has a bit of a snide sense of humour, which I don't normally mind, but she laughs in my face if I try to tell her I'm frightened of things like having a job or speaking to people. Once I felt really hurt, and guilty about feeling hurt, because she was down about her life and having no money and said she'd awake all night worrying 'Not that you would have ever experienced anything like that' and then made general comments about me sleeping a lot and being jobless. She knows that I've had depression a lot. No, I don't lie awake worrying about money and my job and those things. I'd love to feel that normal. I only lie awake at nights thinking about death and dying and worthlessness and how I'm not a proper human being and how embarassing I am. I feel worse about not having 'proper' reasons.

But I didn't say anything. I never do.
Closed Thread