SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 2nd January 2007, 14:29

Default BDD and OCD

Old 2nd January 2007, 16:36

Default Re: BDD and OCD

Your doctor could be right, loss of confidence does bring with it a degree of self-consciousness. That alone gives you SA type feelings, thinking people are looking at you, or judging you. or that you look 'ugly' etc, which makes everything fearful.

The good thing is that whether SA or OCD your thoughts can be changed, so you have a good chance of recovery.

Good luck
Old 3rd January 2007, 00:26
Banned

Hi Twinkle
I have BDD & OCD and my BDD is the thimng that's really affecting my life now whereas i have seem to have my ocd under control fingers crossed.
With my BDD i am constantly checking my hair amongst other things in any refelctive surface i pass lol and trying to fix my hair. FGace to face conversations seem to get harder for me now.
My counsellor has said that with my low self-esteem/confidence i have this anxiety that manifests itself as ocd and bdd (they are inter-related) and constant worrying about everyday things like will my train be late even before i got up in the morning to get it lol.

I'm not totally sure of ocd/BDD is caused or realted to anxiety or self-confidence issues but i agree wiht my counsellor that anxiety plays a large role.
Old 5th January 2007, 02:31
Banned

http://www.bddcentral.com/
this site is really useful especially the forum where most of my bdd info i have learnt from.
Old 5th January 2007, 10:53

Just a point from your message.

It could be that by going out of a room 20 times a day to do your hair could be SA related. Although you might think it is something else, the brain seems to direct us to 'aviodance' of fearful situations, and any 'escape' from a room, whatever you do when you are out, seems like it could be avoidance (that allows you to keep 'safe' for a while).

Maybe you should confront the fear and try to stay in a room all day, or just the morning to start with. If you confront SA directly and head-on, it is the only way to prove there really is nothing to fear, and that your thoughts on the danger were wrong. This will rapidly improve your confidence if you can work through the fear, and you will find yourself able to do more and more.

Good luck anyway!
Closed Thread