SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 24th August 2016, 20:05

Mood
Tired

Default Spontaneous conversations in public

Today after lunch I had a bit of time to kill. I went to a park and looked for a bench which was shaded. There were other people sitting in benches that were not shaded, one of whom came over to the bench where I was sitting, which happened to be the only shaded bench in the facility. They asked if I minded which of course I didn't. An example of a circumstance that put people into conversation.

A few bits of chatting, pleasantries about the weather, recovering from the post lunch dip, Another person had the same idea and joined. After the first person left, she asked whether I knew the other person of which I didn't. Here's the thing; for me this implied to me that spontaneous friendly conversations like this with strangers are a rarity. Maybe it could be seen as a compliment to how sociable I actually can be?

The important thing is to carry a vibe that there's no 'obligation' to make conversation. The fact that in this context pretty much all the parties involved were taking time after lunch, plus the weather was hot made it a bit of a given that you might want to be quiet, thus taking the pressure all parties. Talk when you want to, be quiet when you want to without expectation.

Now, is getting chatting to strangers after natural circumstances like these usually off most people's radar in this country? The comment from the second woman who joined me got me curious about this.