SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 7th January 2018, 22:47

Mood
Sick

Default How do you spend your 30th birthday?

Hi guys, It's my 30th birthday in two days and I've been asked countless times what I am doing for the big 3 0 and even told that I MUST have a party. Actually the idea of a party or a large group thing fills me with anxiety and dread

Any alternative ideas? How did you spend your 30ths?
Old 7th January 2018, 23:10

Default Re: How do you spend your 30th birthday?

A (landmark) birthday doesn't necessarily have to involve lots of other people. Do something that pleases YOU if you want to celebrate it in your own special way - go somewhere new or somewhere from your childhood that you loved, or just stay at home and keep it low key but nice - stuff your face with crisps, sweets, jelly and a caterpillar cake. Or maybe that's just my ideal birthday! It's YOUR day after all, whether you choose to celebrate it or not.

I went to Cornwall for my 30th birthday for a couple of days with a friend - it was all planned by my own self and I did everything I wanted to do, visited some old sights from childhood holidays and didn't have a "celebration" as such. I just wanted to do something a bit different than my usual sitting at home and it all worked out okay.
Old 7th January 2018, 23:10
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

I had a meal with a couple of friends (in the days when i still had a social life!) and a large-ish group meal with work colleagues which was a joint 30th with someone else I worked with who's b.day was roughly the same time as me.

I'm the big 4-0 this year for which I will probably do nothing.

You don't need to have a party tho (unless you want to). Just do what ever floats your boat. Go on holiday, go out with a small group of friends, or do nothing
Old 8th January 2018, 06:47

I went to Canterbury with my sister, we booked into a hotel for the night. It was New Year's Eve so we went out for dinner then onto a bar. They had a wonderful piano player so we saw the New Year in listening to him and drinking cocktails.
Old 8th January 2018, 13:30

My 30th was spent lumping compost around a garden centre during the morning for my mother and then being alone in my room during the afternoon ā€“ just as if it was a typical weekend day. Just a few cards from direct family but nothing whatsoever to acknowledge it was a landmark birthday. There were no phone calls, no text messages (barring from my brother who lives the other side of the country) and about two social media messages (whilst others get hundreds for every birthday regardless). Not even a meal out was arranged ā€“ which is what usually happens. I spent most of the evening with 'weepy eyes'.

It was an even bigger non-event that my 18th and 21st birthdays turned out to be, and to say it depressed me for many weeks afterwards is an understatement .

I'm 33 in April. I didn't mention my 31st or 32nd to anyone ā€“ and I was in work for both of them. I have no plans to acknowledge or celebrate any other birthday of mine until I've experienced having a 30th in a similar fashion and equal positive acknowledgement to most other people. I don't mind it replacing a regular birthday of mine one year, but I want to have a 'proper' 30th.
Old 8th January 2018, 14:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman
and about two social media messages (whilst others get hundreds for every birthday regardless).
And I wonder how many of those hundreds of birthday messages are actually sent with genuine love and sincerity. I'd guess that they often get sent out of routine or just because a lot of people feel obliged to send a birthday message for one reason or another.

Quote:
Not even a meal out was arranged ***8211; which is what usually happens. I spent most of the evening with 'weepy eyes'.
I learnt to do all my own arranging, or at least prompt family members or a friend when I actually wanted to do something for a birthday. For years I never wanted to do anything on any birthday and told people exactly that, then I got to the point where I decided I did want to do something unique to me and I made it happen. Luckily my sort of unique and mundane ways means it never has to involve many people or much money! I've coincidentally been on holiday with family on some recent birthdays so those birthdays have been easy enough to make a little bit different.
Old 8th January 2018, 15:04

It would have been doing nothing,but the specifics of the nothing I don`t remember. That was my choice though so it wasn`t a sad thing for me,that much I know.
Old 8th January 2018, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
And I wonder how many of those hundreds of birthday messages are actually sent with genuine love and sincerity. I'd guess that they often get sent out of routine or just because a lot of people feel obliged to send a birthday message for one reason or another.
I understand that, but my question is that where are all of mine? Even if they weren't sincere? It at least gives them a confidence boost whereas someone who's confidence is rock bottom is expected to produce it out of thin air.

There's a reason why I lack them now (didn't at the time) because I have a different account and a very select number of people on there. So it's now impossible for me to get as many - but even those on my new account (barring one exception) choose to ignore the event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling
I learnt to do all my own arranging, or at least prompt family members or a friend when I actually wanted to do something for a birthday. For years I never wanted to do anything on any birthday and told people exactly that, then I got to the point where I decided I did want to do something unique to me and I made it happen. Luckily my sort of unique and mundane ways means it never has to involve many people or much money! I've coincidentally been on holiday with family on some recent birthdays so those birthdays have been easy enough to make a little bit different.
I tried to arrange my own 18th, but the three or four people who I'd invited to go out for a drink with. However, one by one, they pulled out within a week of the event. In the end, my brother had to come out of work early to take me for my first legal pint - so I could at least have someone there to enjoy it with. It was a waste of time in me arranging it. The warning signs were already there, but at that age I was too naive to see it.

I've made occasional prompts with family over going out for my birthday during my 20's. It's resulted in huffs, puffs, "not got enough time / money" comments most times - so by my late twenties I'd already pretty much lost what faith I had left in people. When I was about 28, I had to have a 'combined celebration' (just a meal out - nothing special) with my parents as it's their wedding anniversary about three weeks before my birthday.

Barring my 21st (which I paid for out of my own pocket and went to a hotel -
alone...), I've never been away for my birthday. There's been no party since I was single digits in terms of age. There's been no 'get together' to have a few drinks on that evening (or nearest weekend to it) - nothing! Now, I must stress that I'm not an outgoing person. I wouldn't be here otherwise! However, it would be nice to just have something happening. A day where people would acknowledge me - just as they do for anyone else they know. No prompts or anything required!
Old 8th January 2018, 16:24

I had been at a music festival at Butlin's Bognor Regis for the three days prior to my 30th, so I would have started the day by checking out of my chalet and driving back up the A29, after which I spent the day alone indoors.
Old 8th January 2018, 19:46

Mood
Balanced

I spent the actual day at work and had a family meal out the weekend after, my mum had a life limiting illness and she needed very little excuse to throw a celebration meal or party.
Old 8th January 2018, 19:51

I had a birthday party, I hired a room and provided food. It was a quiet venue so it's suited me.

I would happily have gone away for the weekend with family or friends.
Old 9th January 2018, 16:40

Might be wrong chocolatechip, but as on 7th you said it was your birthday in two days I***8217;m thinking that it must be your birthday today? HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! And I hope that you have found a suitable way to celebrate the occasion!!!
Old 9th January 2018, 19:10
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

If I remember correctly I was working on a truck during the day and spent the evening at home with parents, I'm 32 now and still haven't had a birthday party
Old 9th January 2018, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Wreck
Might be wrong chocolatechip, but as on 7th you said it was your birthday in two days Iā€™m thinking that it must be your birthday today? HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! And I hope that you have found a suitable way to celebrate the occasion!!!
Probably partying the night away with hundreds of friends as we speak.
Old 9th January 2018, 20:17

Mood
Relaxed

I pretty much always take the day off work to avoid attention and being pestered to go out after work. So I would have been in bed I guess.
Old 10th January 2018, 15:29

My 30th birthday was spent in a hospice, where my mum was dying. There was cake, candles, etc. Despite the obvious grimness of the situation, it's a mostly happy memory, as it was one of her last days of proper consciousness.
Old 10th January 2018, 18:57

Mood
Alienated

I actually spent my 30th going back to work for the first time in 4 weeks

I'd spent the first 2 weeks in mexico (which was my first trip abroad...ever)

then the next 2 weeks with a sick note because I had some sort of immune disease attacking my blood cells which may or may not have been because of mexico

All in all..it wasnt a bad month, I think I worked about 3 days!
Old 11th January 2018, 16:47

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic
I actually spent my 30th going back to work for the first time in 4 weeks

I'd spent the first 2 weeks in mexico (which was my first trip abroad...ever)

then the next 2 weeks with a sick note because I had some sort of immune disease attacking my blood cells which may or may not have been because of mexico

All in all..it wasnt a bad month, I think I worked about 3 days!
Not Montezuma's Revenge then?
Old 11th January 2018, 19:05

Mood
Alienated

^ no no, had none of that

Apparently my immune system was kicking off and attacking my blood vessels, my feet and up my legs to my knees was lots of red blotches and veins and whatever from blood under my skin

It didn't even hurt really, it didnt half surprise me when they said I had to rest for 2 weeks and gave me a sicknote..I only went in expecting some cream
Old 11th January 2018, 22:57

My 3 and 0 is not far away now.

I've never made anything of my birthdays before. I've always done the 'gone into work and nobody knew about it' kind of thing. Yet, I tend to honour others birthdays (I'm so selfless). I might treat myself to something this time. A trip away maybe. Or buy myself something really frivolous.

I can't wait to post in this section of the forum more regularly though. So far any post here has filled me with earth shattering guilt.
Old 14th January 2018, 13:56
Banned

Me and my then fiance had a meal out with my parents. Then went back to ours for some cake. I'm not bothered about birthdays, im quite happy ignoring it.
Old 14th January 2018, 14:04
Banned at own request

I got a tattoo
Old 14th January 2018, 18:59

I gave up celebrating birthdays in a big way long before then, I worked during the day part and then went for some Korean food in the evening with my girlfriend as I'd been meaning to do that for a while. That was about it