SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 2nd October 2017, 14:29

Mood
Sad

Default anxiety

I had social anxiety since I remember after being moved to another place when I was a kid and got bullied really bad which I think triggered this, throughout my life I've had social anxiety, depression, ocd. Only recently has it got worse, after my voluntary job ended, a college course I was on. Now my anxiety. ocd has got the better of me and i'm not eating really I think something is wrong with my food and someone has poisoned me. If I get symptoms afterwards like a sore mouth, throat, stomach ache and other things. I'm having cbt soon in a week and i'm a bit worried about telling the therapist about my thoughts of people poisoning me or trying to harm me, should I mention this im so nervous about it Also I have no idea what this really is these thoughts of someone trying to harm me, if it's ocd or something else. I'm just a little scared of telling others.
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:41

Mood
Sad

Default Re: anxiety

Maybe this shuold be put in another section of the forum . im sorry about that
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:52

Mood
Fine

Hi there Nothing wrong with where you've posted I don't have OCD but the symptom of feeling like you've been poisoned is quite common as far as I know.
Old 2nd October 2017, 14:56

Mood
Sad

Hi. I'm just a bit of scared of actually telling someone my thoughts but i'm just at an end and tired of feeling this way.
Old 2nd October 2017, 16:49

Mood
Sad

A lot of the time I do believe my thoughts but then again I think that they're irrational sometimes and i'm being silly but I do find it hard to shake my thoughts too, like everything I eat i have to check it before i eat it but even then I still worry after eating it , I will tell the therapist about these thoughts as I think because im mostly just fed up of it all and it's causing me so much stress that I can't enjoy life at all and mostly cry a lot and worry so much that these thoughts are on my mind most of the day and thank you for the reply. I do feel like im not so alone in having these thoughts as much.
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:21

I find this hard to understand, does it revolve around that there is this remote risk that person A might poison.
But I can relate with pure o. pure o this is maybe the best article on the subject: https://www.ocdonline.com/articles-phillipson
Therapist might diagnose CBT.
Old 2nd October 2017, 19:42

Mood
Tired

I have sometimes wondered if a work colleague has put stuff in my tea, to spoil it / harm me,
I have a lot of odd, irrational thoughts which appear feasible at the time,
But on reflection later, in the light of day, I can sometimes realise how out of sync with reality they are,
It's sometimes quite a shock to see how far removed from reality my thinking can be,
Not sure what to do with that, it's all a bit unsettling, that you can't rely on your own thoughts.

- hopefully your CBT course will help you gain more realistic thinking processes
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:49

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon
I find this hard to understand, does it revolve around that there is this remote risk that person A might poison.
But I can relate with pure o. pure o this is maybe the best article on the subject: https://www.ocdonline.com/articles-phillipson
Therapist might diagnose CBT.
Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:52

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon(cycle)Fodder
I have sometimes wondered if a work colleague has put stuff in my tea, to spoil it / harm me,
I have a lot of odd, irrational thoughts which appear feasible at the time,
But on reflection later, in the light of day, I can sometimes realise how out of sync with reality they are,
It's sometimes quite a shock to see how far removed from reality my thinking can be,
Not sure what to do with that, it's all a bit unsettling, that you can't rely on your own thoughts.

- hopefully your CBT course will help you gain more realistic thinking processes
Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 15:18

Mood
Daring

Personally, I think you'll only be doing yourself harm by not disclosing the full picture to the therapist as they won't be able to fully understand your afflictions and thus how to best help you. I agree that it is perhaps wise not to share some, if not all, of this stuff with people you don't feel 100% comfortable with and have full trust in. My vague understanding of CBT is that the degree to which it can help you is directly proportional to your commitment and to how truthful you are to your therapist and yourself. Don't be afraid of them as it is their job to be compassionate and help you and others conquer these terrible afflictions.

Good luck!
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:45

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by migster
Personally, I think you'll only be doing yourself harm by not disclosing the full picture to the therapist as they won't be able to fully understand your afflictions and thus how to best help you. I agree that it is perhaps wise not to share some, if not all, of this stuff with people you don't feel 100% comfortable with and have full trust in. My vague understanding of CBT is that the degree to which it can help you is directly proportional to your commitment and to how truthful you are to your therapist and yourself. Don't be afraid of them as it is their job to be compassionate and help you and others conquer these terrible afflictions.

Good luck!
Thank you. It really all depends on how comfortable I feel with therapist I guess ,i'm going to meet them and see how I feel and I guess I can open up more to them even after a few sessions depending on how many I have with them.
Old 3rd October 2017, 23:11

Mood
Bashful

Lady A, I agree that you need to mention these thoughts to your therapist to help them get a clear picture of things.

When our nerves are sensitised and highly aroused for a long period of time, not only does the body produce a whole range of intense unpleasant physical feelings but also frightening thoughts which, however bizarre , are just thoughts.

Please discuss with your therapist. I'm sure they will have heard far worse than this, so p!ease don't worry what they may think.