SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th April 2007, 14:26
muppet

Default Dating site

reading a couple of posts who think would be a good idea to have a dating site on here and reading about kik and claire lou I just thought as an outsider to this subject id like to say I think its a fab idea! At least youd all know where you stand with people wether theyre interested in finding someone and more importantly what gender they actually are and sexual preferences!! (maybe as someone who doesnt need the dating site I am wrong?!) Just thought Id mention it!
(could be a bit like the pen pal section where you just put an ad. with your preferences and what youd like eg, meet up date or a email till feel comfortable and got to know type person, or just purely for sex ((just been in the basement)))

Good luck to you all anyway...may you all find somone or something!!
Old 18th April 2007, 23:20

Default Re: Dating site

Sounds like a good idea to me!
Old 18th April 2007, 23:26

Hmm... sounds good in principle, and I am sure there will be a few people who will put profiles up, but...

...I've seen threads in the pen pals section from people asking for partners and they don't really get much attention, how would it work and would it be kept SAUK members access only like the basement is?

Good luck on the idea anyway.
Old 18th April 2007, 23:31

But how many of us would have the guts to make contact?

It's a nice idea in theory, perhaps as a subsection of the penpals room. Or perhaps rename it the Contacts Room or something, Penpal brings up the image of two old people on the other side of the country writing letters about how much the grandkids have grown.

Certainly a lot of singletons on here but i'd be worried that some people would reply to every ad, get rejected, feel like crap, post on here they feel like crap and then reply to another ad. It could all end in heartbreak.
Old 19th April 2007, 00:04
Founder

We've discussed this before and essentially don't want to try and moderate 'a real dating site' like this. I know at least two have been set up by members in the past-I don't know if they are still active though.
Anne
Old 19th April 2007, 14:26
stu1980

Post Re: Dating site

From my point of view i'm here for social anxiety, friends and understanding. If i make a contact and something comes of it well fair enough. I have found plenty of sites where you can specify your needs for dating.

stu
Old 19th April 2007, 14:44
CaughtByTheFuzz

This is probably going to come across really badly, but I find this a bit of a hideous idea.

It sort of takes for granted that everyone with SA is gagging for a shag and is utterly desperate, which I find a bit of an annoying leap.

Also moderating it would be a complete minefield.

There are PM's, dating sites and MSN etc if people want to hook up.

Hrm, methinks I'm in a bad mood today.
Old 19th April 2007, 15:20

Mood
Worried

Can't people just use that other site? The anxiety one.. Hmm whats it called. I'm on it but i cant remember the name lol. Tghe - whats it called?
Heh anyway. What about a link to that site instead of like adding stuff onto this site? Maybe have a button on the home page. But then again you might have to pay the dating site or something. Hmm i dunno lol.
Old 19th April 2007, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaughtByTheFuzz
This is probably going to come across really badly, but I find this a bit of a hideous idea.

It sort of takes for granted that everyone with SA is gagging for a shag and is utterly desperate, which I find a bit of an annoying leap.

Also moderating it would be a complete minefield. There are PM's and MSN etc if people want to hook up.

Hrm, methinks I'm in a bad mood today.
Why would it mean that people with SA are only be gagging for a shag and are desperate? Some people would actually like a boyfriend/girlfriend or a long term relationship.
Old 19th April 2007, 15:35

i dislike the idea as well. there's all sorts of complications that come up and implications about what the site is for. people can meet one another though this site anyway simply by becoming friends first. i met my bloke (livealienbroadcast) on here. but i wouldn't have used a dating section!
Old 19th April 2007, 18:32

As I said above, anyone who has asked for a partner on this website hasn't had much luck. I don't think asking on a forum works to be honest, from what I have seen. Do that on another forum I use and you can be flamed for asking.

Best to keep the penpals section as is and let people meet others as friends. If things go on from there, then so be it.

What might work is a thread where people recommend dating sites. I think the problem is two fold:
  1. There are so many websites, some can be good and some not so good, it may be good for forum members who have had success with a website to recommend it.
  2. I am sure a good number of people wouldn't, or like me (for some reason) can't pay for a subscription dating site. Maybe there should be help for people to find free dating sites if they wish to take that path. Many people on here may be on low incomes, like myself or on benefits, and subscriptions to dating sites can be expensive or not available to people unless they have a credit card. Of course, those who are on low incomes or benefits and don't or can't get a credit card should not be denied love if they wish to seek it.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
... Tghe - whats it called?
I'm not sure, but the only one I can think of is Social Anxiety Match. However, people don't go on often, if at all after registering, I only had two people respond to me for the year or so I was on there, one person who sympathised with my situation and a male member of this forum who added me to their MSN address book.
Old 19th April 2007, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tghe-retford
What might work is a thread where people recommend dating sites. I think the problem is two fold:
  1. There are so many websites, some can be good and some not so good, it may be good for forum members who have had success with a website to recommend it.
  2. I am sure a good number of people wouldn't, or like me (for some reason) can't pay for a subscription dating site. Maybe there should be help for people to find free dating sites if they wish to take that path. Many people on here may be on low incomes, like myself or on benefits, and subscriptions to dating sites can be expensive or not available to people unless they have a credit card. Of course, those who are on low incomes or benefits and don't or can't get a credit card should not be denied love if they wish to seek it.
Think that would be a good idea.
Old 19th April 2007, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado
Think that would be a good idea.
Agreed. I keep being asked by other forum members to try other free dating sites and the ones I have tried in the past haven't been good really. But I think recommendations from other people would help so as to avoid sites which haven't offered much success for forum members.
Closed Thread