SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 17th April 2016, 08:18
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Making the first move

Is something I suck at. Truth is I never know what to say to get the conversational ball rolling. I am very much a "You speak to me and I'll respond as best I can" person.
Conversationally the other person has to be in the driving seat. If they metaphorically let go of the conversational wheel then I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Then before that is the whole issue of knowing when to approach people or not.
Old 17th April 2016, 13:19
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Re: Making the first move

The funny thing is someone who used to be my support at a mental health charity and the befriender I had both said I was a good conversationalist. I suspect they were trying to encourage me.
I'm better if someone gets on to a topic I like or am knowledgeable about and If I feel comfortable with them.
I am not very good at just making casual conversation/small talk.
As most entry into conversation and type of conversation generally is casual/small talk
I struggle to initiate conversation .
The truth is having no friends and being alone a lot I don't get to talk much. Most weeks the most I talk is to tell those people phoning to ask me to do surveys that I am not interested.
Old 18th April 2016, 22:32

Mood
Sweettooth

I'm the same ! If someone doesn't come up to me and start talking to me then there is no way I'm going to start talking to them! Even then I don't ask questions I just try and answer whatever I am being asked
Old 19th April 2016, 00:00

Mood
Sad

I'm the same, too. And if someone does start talking to me, I don't like asking personal questions in case they start asking personal questions back, so I never really get beyond talking about the weather!
Old 19th April 2016, 10:28

I'm terrible at this. I always have to have someone talk to me first, and directly, and not be interrupted by anyone else so group situations are particularly a nightmare. I can't even say good morning first to colleagues when I arrive at work which is stupid because the worst they can do is not say it back but that's unlikely considering how nice they are!