SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 18th September 2016, 15:55
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Default Are you a catastrophiser?

I am one of the world's worst catastrophisers. Always imagining doomsday scenarios. Always expecting something to go wrong.

I find myself obsessively looking up stuff to try and cover the bases to avoid disaster occurring. It's as though I have to treble and quadruple check that all the I and Ts are dotted and crossed and all exits are known.
Old 18th September 2016, 18:46

Default Re: Are you a catastrophiser?

Yes. It's a major part of my SA. I've already played out many, many scenarios in my head of how things will go (always negative) before a social situation occurs. And nine times out of ten, nothing even remotely like my catastophising ever happens. You'd think I'd learn from that, but no.
Old 18th September 2016, 18:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloSunshine
. And nine times out of ten, nothing even remotely like my catastophising ever happens. You'd think I'd learn from that, but no.
Same here but the same thoughts reoccur.
Old 18th September 2016, 18:57

I can even recognise that my catastrophising is utterly ridiculous. The scenarios I dream up are never going to happen. My brain likes to entertain them anyway
Old 18th September 2016, 19:54
Global Moderator

Mood
Scared

Yes, I always expect the worst outcome, and assume the worst has happened.

I am assuming the worst about something right now, hope I'm wrong but sadly I doubt it.
Old 19th September 2016, 16:20

Yes, I'm the worlds worst catastrophiser.

I always imagine the very worst thing that could possibly go wrong in a situation. Before I went on a long flight recently I convinced myself that it was going to come down somewhere over the Atlantic. I played out the whole scenario in my head of people screaming and panicking and then the plane crashing into the Ocean and breaking up into little pieces by which time I'd be dead anyway. Then, if by some miracle, I arrived at my destination in one piece (which seemed doubtful) I convinced myself that I was going to get caught up in a terrorist attack and die in a bomb blast or a hail of bullets.

I'm surprised I can leave the house the way I am, although I've heard that more people die at home doing DIY tasks etc, than anywhere else
Old 19th September 2016, 18:45

I'm better these days. The more I've had to confront it. But have to admit castrophising probably stopped me going college.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey
I am one of the world's worst catastrophisers.
Sorry, but I had to chuckle as that seems to be catastrophisating about being a catastrophiser .

Like most with SA on a bad day its like having that Scottish bloke from Dads Army waking up in my head, running around, arms waving, shouting "We're DOOMED!" - but it's slowly getting better over time.

In an SA Group I attend a few of us sometimes share the catastrophising spirals of worry that hit us. Obviously they're no fun at the time but when your safe/calm and can objectively reflect on them with others who understand it, it can be pretty amusing (and possibly theraputic? ) talking about (and challanging/rationalising) the sort of off the wall stuff your mind throws at you at times .

Last edited by Sun Wukong; 19th September 2016 at 19:42. Reason: Bad spooling
Old 19th September 2016, 19:40

I hope so, I wouldn't want the things I worry about to be realistic or come true.
Old 19th September 2016, 21:08

Mood
Sweettooth

Yes I am ! I swear I am getting worse too.