SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 13th April 2021, 16:00

Default Re: TV programs you're watching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
There's a jewellery one starting soon too, I'm looking forward to that
I can't sew to save my life but I love watching The Great British Sewing Bee so the jewellery one sounds right up my alley
Old 13th April 2021, 19:33
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Series 1 of Castle Rock.
Old 13th April 2021, 20:24

Given up on the jewellery show after 20 minutes I didn't realise it was hosted by Katherine Ryan, and I find her unwatchable for some reason. It seemed like a very dry show.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:10

Some generic food programme. Who knows what it's called. Terrestrial television seems to be perma-cooking shows.

They're making Wagon Wheels. I miss jam Wagon Wheels.
Old 13th April 2021, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamonD
I don't think she is at all suitable for the show. Why is it that pretty much every challenge / competition type show now has a comedian as a presenter? I didn't think Alan Carr was suitable for the recent Interior Design Masters either.

I enjoyed All That Glitters but it didn't have the sparkle or fun that the Sewing Bee or Pottery Throwdown has.
I guess comedians add a sense of fun, or they're supposed to. It works well in Sewing Bee, I think Joe Lycett puts everyone at ease and stops the show from taking itself too seriously. Katherine Ryan doesn't seem capable of doing that though, she seems like quite a cold person, and the judges appear to have no sense of humour or fun about them either so it feels far too serious and dull.

I much preferred Alan Carr to Fearne Cotton She was just sat at the side watching them being judged half the time, at least Alan gives his opinion now and then. There are probably a hundred better choices though.

I think some of these shows would actually benefit from not having a presenter, such as Pottery Throw Down, where the judges do most of the presenting anyway.
Old 14th April 2021, 15:39

Mood
Breezy

Looks like i'll have to defend katherine ryans honour.
Old 14th April 2021, 23:47
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Louis Theroux. Shooting Joe Exotic.
Old 15th April 2021, 13:27

The first episode of the new Sewing Bee was good There looks to be a few people I could get behind. Last year I didn't like anyone!

Also started the second season of the US version of The Circle on Netflix. It's odd how they still film it in Salford in the same building as the UK version, but pretend it's being filmed in the US for some reason. They cover the plug sockets with plastic boxes so you can't tell see the UK plug sizes, and insert exterior shots of Chicago and occasionally England (but play the footage in a mirror image so the cars are on the other side ).
Old 15th April 2021, 18:22

It seemed like it could have been a kind of pilot - only six episodes and eight contestants. Hopefully they learn from the reviews and cheer it up a bit if they decide to make a second longer series next time. Making things is fun! It should feel fun to watch too.
Old 15th April 2021, 21:20

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Series 1 of Castle Rock.
Hope you enjoy it,

I found it quite creepy, and quite an intense watch, but also quite confusing.
Old 18th April 2021, 22:07

Mood
Procrastinating

So just finished watching Graysons Art Club, wow it was not what I expected Have to admit I’m not a fan of his art (not that I'm super into art or anything) but what a cool guy! So every week he gets ordinary people and a celebrity to send in their art they did during lockdown and was putting together a sort of exhibition at the end.
He had Derren Brown on and he was talking about as an introvert how he needs that time with his art on his own to "recharge his batteries" so that he can be who he wants to be at other times "his stage persona" I suppose. I never thought about things in that way.
I would also call myself an introvert but as I've got older no longer see that as a fault or a flaw its just who I am but I also do like going to work these days (this hasn't always been the case) I'm very lucky to work with a group of women who all get on and I feel very comfortable with them but if I'm being honest it is still mentally draining just to socially interact all day, we're also in a communal office so I suppose that also plays a part, would like to have some energy left outside of just work
Old 18th April 2021, 22:50

Mood
Alienated

^ Never seen it but does sound interesting! I can certainly understand art can help introverts recharge their batteries! I can imagine most artists are probably introverted.

Deutschland 89. The second sequel to German thriller Deutschland 83. I'm on the penultimate episode, and I've really enjoyed the series. Some things seem far fetched, but I still think it's good. Some great characters on here, and I like the touches of humour in some scenes. I'm fascinated with this period of history. It's also helping me with my German.

Chernobyl. Probably a bit late to the party with this series, but just bought it on DVD. It really is superb, and I'm on the second episode. Although I know a lot about Chernobyl, it is fascinating to see it dramatised, and highlights how many people just had their head in the sand.
The sad recent passing of Paul Ritter reminded me of this series, and I'm fascinated with Chernobyl. At first I was disappointed the characters weren't speaking Ukrainian with English subtitles (just because I think it's authentic, and I love languages), but of course I don't think many of the actors would know Ukrainian!, and also speaking English gets people to connect to the characters more I think.

I so wanted Paul Ritter's character to say '**** on it' after the core exploded..
Old 18th April 2021, 22:55

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_love_otters
So just finished watching Graysons Art Club, wow it was not what I expected Have to admit I’m not a fan of his art (not that I'm super into art or anything) but what a cool guy! So every week he gets ordinary people and a celebrity to send in their art they did during lockdown and was putting together a sort of exhibition at the end.
He had Derren Brown on and he was talking about as an introvert how he needs that time with his art on his own to "recharge his batteries" so that he can be who he wants to be at other times "his stage persona" I suppose. I never thought about things in that way.
I would also call myself an introvert but as I've got older no longer see that as a fault or a flaw its just who I am but I also do like going to work these days (this hasn't always been the case) I'm very lucky to work with a group of women who all get on and I feel very comfortable with them but if I'm being honest it is still mentally draining just to socially interact all day, we're also in a communal office so I suppose that also plays a part, would like to have some energy left outside of just work
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...=1618782878020
Old 18th April 2021, 23:13

Mood
Procrastinating

^Haha love it
Old 19th April 2021, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tembo
I so wanted Paul Ritter's character to say '**** on it' after the core exploded..

"I'm bloody boiling!"

"A lovely bit of three-eyed squirrel."
Old 19th April 2021, 15:29

Mood
Sad

Kate Humble on the farm watching pigs s******g!
Old 19th April 2021, 16:10

^^ excellent

Ted Lasso, appallingly bad while at the same time utterly hilarious.
Old 19th April 2021, 20:05

Superstore on Netflix - it was my distraction from anxiety in lockdown part 2. The new series is on ITV2 and not on Netflix. What’s the dealio with that?

ITV is terrible, why on Earth did they make 2 of them?
Old 19th April 2021, 20:10

Mood
Alienated

^ I've heard about this, is it any good ?

ITV2 is an odd channel. It has 'reality' stuff, but then also American Dad, which seems far too witty compared to that.
Old 19th April 2021, 20:20

^ I’ve been enjoying it, but I think it’s because I’ve got a fondness towards it because it was comforting when I was tearful and anxious

It’s an enjoyable and easy watch, but I wouldn’t go round saying, “YOU HAVE GOT TO WATCH IT!” like I would about TV programmes that I am a huge fan of.
Old 20th April 2021, 13:48

Mood
Alienated

^ I may have to give it a try! I’m glad it gave you some comfort, there’s a couple of shows which I find do that to me to. Strangely like 90s episodes of The Simpsons. I get quite sentimental watching those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.

"I'm bloody boiling!'

"A lovely bit of three-eyed squirrel."
Old 20th April 2021, 16:25

Am finding the character of Wendy Byrde really irritating in Ozark, only the realisation that transposing her initials gives ‘Bendy Word’ keeps me sane through her screen time.
Old 21st April 2021, 00:07

Mood
Procrastinating

Legomasters - not into Lego myself but its cool to watch other people doing it
Old 21st April 2021, 11:05

I didn't realise the third series of Glow Up started yesterday - I only saw it listed when I went on iPlayer to watch something else. Looking forward to seeing it later.

And the good news is they've got rid of Stacey Dooley I can't stand her!
Old 22nd April 2021, 09:59

I loved the first episode of the new series of Glow Up, there are some really talented people in it this year.

I liked how they put everyone's pronouns on the screen next to their names too. I'm surprised it's taken this long for that to happen in a reality show, but I'm sure others will soon follow. Those kinds of captions usually state where people live, their age and what their job is, which are kind of irrelevant really, so why not say how they want to be referred as instead? It makes sense when people will be talking about them online during and after the show.

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televisi...ya-jama-965033

"Not only does displaying pronouns make contestants such as Jack feel more comfortable, it’s also a sign to people watching who also go by “they/them” that they are welcome in the world of Glow Up. In a society that feels it is necessary to debate people’s gender identity constantly, it’s refreshing to see pronouns presented in a simple, matter-of-fact way.

That Glow Up, a show about make-up is among the first to make such a change, is unsurprising. The show has always been quietly revolutionary. Make-up is presented as art and a means of self-expression – the competing MUAs use their work to talk about their autism, their trauma, their mental health struggles. Expressing their gender in whatever way they want is simply an extension of Glow Up’s inclusive, celebratory rationale."
Old 22nd April 2021, 16:53

^ For Life was great

New series of Our Yorkshire Farm

Best thing on telly at the mo
Old 25th April 2021, 13:22

The Way of the Househusband - 100% will watch again.
Old 26th April 2021, 09:22

Watched the first episode of Mare of Easttown (HBO) yesterday. It was pretty good. Only seven episodes long too (it only started last week though). It feels like another season of True Detective, but in a good way. Horrible clumsy exposition though, almost as bad as the first season of Game of Thrones I can forgive it because it was the first episode, but it's still baffling why writers (especially in HBO shows it seems) are still trying to get away with people saying things like "Why would I think that? I'm your damn cousin!" or "Remember when we got engaged 20 years ago and then split up?" or "Hey, mom, would you mind babysitting my son tonight? You know, your grandchild? You're my mother and this boy right here is my child." Well, the last one was an exaggeration, but it's not far off from some of the dialogue.
Old 27th April 2021, 14:42

Mood
Sad

Call the midwife. Adore this programme.
Old 27th April 2021, 15:07

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink*Lady
Call the midwife. Adore this programme.
I like call the midwife.