SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 19th February 2018, 23:45

Default Travelling the world?

If you had an unlimited pot of money and could travel the world what places would you like to visit.

Social anxiety wouldn't be a issue either.
Old 19th February 2018, 23:55

Default Re: Travelling the world?

I've already seen most of the places I wanted to see. There's still South America though, Brazil, Peru, Macchu Picchu, Nazca, Equador, Galapagos, Patagonia. Also orangutans in Borneo while there are still any left, and the jungle of Papua New Guinea.
Old 20th February 2018, 07:32

Mood
Balanced

I've travelled to a few places..however never have the time to see all of a place..would like to do see more of South America, Russia and New Zealand
Old 20th February 2018, 09:41

Tricky to travel when I won***8217;t fly! But I***8217;d love to do the Caribbean
Old 20th February 2018, 14:50

Mood
Shoveit

Think I'd just stay in places for a few months or however long until it was the norm and then move on somewhere else, if money was unlimited etc.

I'd love to explore America. It so vast and the landscape changes so drastically from region to region that you could probably spend a lifetime very easily just doing that!

But Japan is so beautiful too.

Greece for history.

Egypt. Australia. New Zealand. China.

I'd love to see the Hindu Kush mountains too.
Old 20th February 2018, 16:07

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
Have you travelled a lot, AL?

Apart from money, my issue is my ears & flying..it's so painful I've given up flying & that sort of stops me having thoughts of going to far flung places. I've never been out of Europe.

I'd like to see America & visit my sister there. Apart from that I always wanted to visit Iceland & see the Northern Lights & I think I'd like to see a bit of Asia: Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, places where they have really different scenery to us. Maybe travel across Mongolia on a horse. I would have loved to travel, if I had the money & the health.
I have similar Ear Pain /Pressures when flying (always when the aircraft is descending to land). Ime also usually half deaf for 6-12 hours after landing too

I havent flown for a few years (although thats mostly down to lack of cash issues).

Too many places that Id like to visit to list here, everywhere has some attractions for me
Old 20th February 2018, 16:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm
Too many places that Id like to visit to list here, everywhere has some attractions for me
Are you sure? Even Wales?
Old 20th February 2018, 16:30

Mood
Sad

@Jinny and @neilm How come some people can travel on planes without any ear troubles at all? I had that problem as a kid and I only got brave enough to fly again last year (at age of 33). I found sucking sweets frantically helped, but, yes, I was terrified of that agonising pain as your ears pop. Luckily, it didn't happen. Thank you, sweets!

As for places I'd like to visit. Italy (I'm going to Florence soon and if I like it, I'd like to explore more of it), Germany, Austria, The Netherlands. I wouldn't mind going farther afield, in theory, so Canada is quite appealing, but being stuck on a plane for over five hours or whatever would drive me insane, I think!
Old 20th February 2018, 17:30

I***8217;ve been to quite a few places in Europe but I***8217;d really like to go to Asia, especially Japan at some point plus do the whole backpacking thing around Australia and New Zealand.
Old 20th February 2018, 19:47

Mexico, to see the day of the dead festival. Then pretend to die in front of them, then get up from being 'dead' and panic 100,000 people into a stampede.

Somewhere where they've never seen white people before, some obscure place in japan/china a little village somewhere. A proper adventure, share cultures. Or just Italy, yeah I went once and loved it and I only spent a week there, would love to go back, they have the most amazing history etc
Old 20th February 2018, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle06
@Jinny and @neilm How come some people can travel on planes without any ear troubles at all? I had that problem as a kid and I only got brave enough to fly again last year (at age of 33). I found sucking sweets frantically helped, but, yes, I was terrified of that agonising pain as your ears pop. Luckily, it didn't happen. Thank you, sweets!

As for places I'd like to visit. Italy (I'm going to Florence soon and if I like it, I'd like to explore more of it), Germany, Austria, The Netherlands. I wouldn't mind going farther afield, in theory, so Canada is quite appealing, but being stuck on a plane for over five hours or whatever would drive me insane, I think!
I think shorter flights affect you more because your ears can't adjust (maybe?) I went to Italy in 08 and they popped, Canada in 09 and they were absolutely fine. So if you do have problems like I do, pay special attention on shorter flights! Italy is awesome! So jealous you're going to Florence, hope you have an amazing time! I got to Italy, on a foreign exchange... with anxiety.... and cos my ears popped I couldn't hear anything Just what i needed!
Old 20th February 2018, 20:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
New Zealand
Italy
Canada
Switzerland
Iceland
Croatia
Spain

I really want to go to Canada, but my sister hates flying and I have no one else to go with. I guess I could go on my own.
Ah yeah Croatia! And places like Slovakia look interesting. I went to Canada on my own, not fussed if I never go back. It was just average, CN tower was good though! Actually saying that I never saw places like Banff which look awe inspiring. NZ looks amazing for scenery too
Old 20th February 2018, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle06

I remember getting getting a lot of pain my ears the first time I flew (to America) then didn’t fly for over a decade but every time since they’ve been fine, I can feel it but it’s very minor compared to the first time.
Old 20th February 2018, 20:45

It was alright I guess, Uncle took me to the airport, after that, stuff was fine. I was kinda anxious and then kinda confident on the trip, just veering between the two. Like went with one guy to Niagra, to the islands with one girl, CN tower with another, but yeah, probably be better if I went now, i'm better with people now and knowing what to say, despite my anxiety being a similar level to how it was back then. Plus i'm pretty confident in some areas now that I wasn't, like when I went I was the youngest (19) at this hostel by about 4 years I think, and this one girl liked me and she was older and experienced and I spent ages not making a move till she lost interest It was quite liberating travelling solo, I did feel all grown up
Do you think you'd be able to go alone right now? It depends what you want, if you want to feel all free, not knowing anyone then alone gives you that, I guess if you go with a friend or family you have to do a few things together. But yeah depends where you stay as well, hostels are great for meeting people.
The year before, with the exchange to Italy, was so fun, all laughing about there and back, made the travelling fly by (pun intended). Don't get that travelling alone! I was sat next to a really big guy who smelt like he hadn't showered in a month on the flight back, and It was delayed four hours. Joyful :laughing
I wrote loads, you were just looking for ''yeah it was ok anxiety wise'' weren't you? when I ramble I super duper ramble
Old 20th February 2018, 21:08

Quote:
haha no. I was actually hoping for a super duper rambling detailed response because I wanted to know what it's like. I would have asked lots of questions if you'd just said, "Yeah it was okay anxiety wise."

That sounds amazing. You're brave. I need to do something to get me out of a current rut.

My worry would be that I'd end up with nobby people that I don't feel comfortable with. I wouldn't be able to sleep in a hostel haha as in I wouldn't be able to physically sleep with random strangers in the room.
I think you can get your own room though, I was ok with it, it was all clean etc. But I totally understand what you mean, probably harder for girls, you'd feel more vulnerable etc. Yeah I really want to go again, just somewhere, either alone or with someone. But you know, broaden the mind and all that! I think at a hostel it's mainly the Aussies! But you know people come and go so really you could meet someone nice and do stuff. Do you have anyone to go somewhere with? Where would you go? Probs best if going alone to go somewhere you speak the language! But i'm itching to go, my passport runs out in October as well!
Old 21st February 2018, 00:12

I've been to a lot of Europe, some of Asia and Central and North America. I have lost a lot of my enthusiasm for travelling now though. Nothing excites me much these days.
Old 21st February 2018, 00:46

I think if money was no object and I had the time I would be traveling all over the place.

As a child my family used to take me on lots of holidays in Europe but I felt like I had never been out of Europe before so I booked a trip to Thailand and I loved it; I would defintely go again.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:13
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Oh everywhere probably. If I could. West Coast of Africa, the Middle East, Western Europe, East Coast of USA, China, South East Asia. Arctic circle nations.
Old 21st February 2018, 12:43

Mood
Sneaky

every year i get utterly miserable, like, mentally ill, when winter starts up. and every year when it brightens up again i see how it affects me and i realise that my life wasnt actually on the brink of falling apart, i just get miserable in winter. even though i know i get miserable in winter its impossible to separate the effects of this from whats going on in my life.

the only sane choice seems to be that i should piss off to lanzarote, i need to get some kind of online job i guess and then just bugger off somewhere thats actually fit for human habitation
Old 21st February 2018, 16:08

Mood
Sad

^ That Wanted Down Under show is the worst. People want to relocate to Australia or sometimes New Zealand and the BBC (or the production company) pays for the family to go to Australia, live there for a week and decide whether they want to live there permanently. Most of them don't pay attention to the realities of moving; they've already decided before they even go there, and it's just a free holiday, really!

Sorry, I've wanted to whinge about that for a while now Talking about the problems of ears popping, I did actually think it would be fun to take the train to wherever I wanted (to avoid my mild plane phobia), but when you look at the cost and the amount of time it takes, it just isn't worth it. If you wanted to go to The Netherlands or France, or somewhere not too far away, the Eurostar could be a good option. If I was rich and had all the time in the world, I'd just travel the world by train. I like looking out of the window and day dreaming.
Old 21st February 2018, 16:29

It would be easier to list the places I don't want to see, but top of the list is Peru/Machu Picchu and South America in general, closely followed by Asia and the Far East - I'm hoping to manage a couple of long-haul destinations by the end of this year.

I don't think money is much of an issue these days, the major cost is the flights; no matter how great a budget I had at my disposal, I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling first class, staying in 5-star hotels, going all-inclusive etc. - it makes me feel disconnected from the place I'm staying.
Old 21st February 2018, 19:50

Mood
Fine

Quote:
For me it's just a genetic thing. The tubes that connect your ears to the back of your throat in me (and my mum & cousin & maybe my younger son) are very narrow and twisted. It caused lots of ear infections and glue ear as a child (which my son had too) and for some reason stops you being able to regulate the pressure in your ears on a plane by doing normal things like sucking sweets. After the last time I flew a vacuum formed in my middle ears and I had to use steroids for 2 weeks before it went, it was really painful. I had grommets as a child, which lets goop drain out of the middle ear, I wonder if you could use them to fly if it were a one off trip?
Ah, now that may explain my ear problem (only ever the left one).

I remember when a nurse was once examining my ears , she commented that I had very narrow ear canals.

Perhaps that could be the source of the pressure issues when flying....
Old 21st February 2018, 20:00

Mood
Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copernicium
Are you sure? Even Wales?
Certainly, Wales has plenty of attractions too.

Like I said, cant think of anyplace that hasn't got something going for it and would be worth a visit.

Of course some places would be more problematic to visit than others ( North Korea, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia etc)
Old 21st February 2018, 20:07

^^^^ that sounds amazing Canada would definitely be on my places to visit list. Would also like to visit America, particularly NYC, would prob be completely freaked out by all the people and the hustle and bustle but think it would be a great place to visit, and just wander around. Some other places on my 'to visit once i've got the money and plucked up some courage list' would be Spain, Iceland, Crete, Corsica, the ruins of Ephesus in Turkey, Pompeii, Petra in Jordan and would also like to visit the ruins of Persepolis in Iran. Would be amazing to just wander round these places, soaking it all in and trying to imagine how it must have been when they were in use. Someday perhaps.
Old 21st February 2018, 20:11

Mood
Fine

Quote:
^ quite possibly, I've done a bit of research, but there doesn't seem much you can do to prevent problems, and there's something quite serious that can happen which can cause deafness (can't remember what exactly!)

However, like I said, my cousin had the same problem, she used to fly a lot with work & it was causing problems so she had to change jobs...but I know she still flies for family holidays, but I've never asked her how she manages or if the Dr. gives her anything. I really should remember to mention it! I'm wondering if the steroid spray I got last time to fix the problem, might prevent it if you used it the week before? The trouble is, if it happens again... there's no getting off a plane! and I'm not up to taking that chance.

You try it neilm, tell me if it works
I may well do that, but Lord knows when Ill next be on a plane mind!!

I just stick to trains for long distance travel within the UK. To be honest it tends to be less stressful than flying nowadays too. I actually get ear pressure issues even when going through tunnels although its never been painful like when flying..

P.S. In relation to serious ear issues on aircraft, an elderly aunt of mine once suffered a burst ear drum on a flight to Canada. She never regained any hearing in her right ear and was left with permanent tinnitus in it. Strangely it didnt stop her from flying afterwards and she never had any problems in her remaining ear!!
Old 21st February 2018, 22:21

Mood
Lonely

Japan and Iceland are my top places I want to visit.
I'd also like to go to New York at Christmas. Australia, New Zealand, Bali, Sweden, Norway, Austria.... the list is pretty endless. If only I had money and someone to travel with.

Oh and I love Wales!
Old 23rd February 2018, 17:34

Mood
Alienated

I've been visiting a lot of Europe recently (particularly Central/Eastern Europe), and would love to have an unlimited amount of money and visit every single European country.
Old 24th February 2018, 18:26

Mood
Sweettooth

I'd like to go to Iceland to see the northern lights, Italy looks lovely too.
Old 25th February 2018, 11:33

Mood
Alienated

I would love to go to Japan, the place interests me greatly.

I'd also go to Vegas because I quite enjoy gambling/casinos

Apart from that I'm not sure theres any sort of sights or landmarks I'm particularly interested in..

I'd just need a willing victim...ahem..companion to go with me.
Old 25th February 2018, 12:05

Quote:
^ yes. I would looooooove to see T'Northern Lights :D
Blackpool? :-)