SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th September 2017, 17:13

Mood
Dead

Default Bad days after good

Is it normal to have a really bad day after you've has what could be deemed a good day? I was okay yesterday but today, I've been in tears most of the day.

Does anyone experience this kind of thing?
Old 25th September 2017, 17:33

Default Re: Bad days after good

I do. I just try to roll with it as best as I can. Sometimes moods can have no rhyme and reason.
Old 25th September 2017, 19:14

Mood
Fine

Yup, nearly every time I do something good.

A good example is today; I'm feeling shit and drained after a lot of good driving yesterday (with family in the car ).
Old 27th September 2017, 15:26

Mood
Daring

I have experienced this in the past too. I'd have a day where something would happen that would act as a trigger to boost my mood all day or most of it, only to be followed by an emotional crash the following day. In hindsight, these feel-good moods tended to actually have contours of euphoria/mania and so my my personal theory is that the crash is nothing but the brain adjusting its neurochemistry after experiencing a brief manic period where the levels dopamine (and possibly other neurotransmitters) are released in abnormal quantities. I think this is similar to what happens in the brains of drug addicts.

In my personal experience, my euphoria came about from a naive belief that the trigger that led to it was proof that I was improving and getting better; I have since learned to keep my emotions in check, both positive and negative, through mindfulness.
Old 27th September 2017, 15:38

Mood
Dead

^ That kinda makes sense
Old 28th September 2017, 10:05

I tend to feel quite apprehensive on the rare occasions I have good days because as the saying goes, "pride always comes before a fall".

One example that always sticks in my mind was back in 2005. I remember getting my first ever inflation pay rise (a whopping 1 or 1.5% over the four years I'd been working…and that was only because of minimum wage going up making my existing salary illegal) which I was quite happy about. The following day? My mother had a heart attack – then aged 49, and I had to rush out of work at lunchtime the moment I found out. In the same job, I was signed off on the sick in 2010 with stress, anxiety and depression. I was off work for about six weeks from memory (it might have been eight...) and I felt okay enough to return. Infact, I felt pretty good during the final week and I even called the doctor to ask them to cancel the time left on the sick note. The day I went back to work? An ominous brown envelope was handed to me inside two hours… I was being made redundant (it was actually constructive dismissal but didn't have the energy or money to pursue the case).

I'd rather have 'average' days than good days.
Old 1st October 2017, 07:48

Mood
Sweettooth

Yep, this is me all over, it's the good day blues.
Old 4th October 2017, 20:59

Mood
Musical

Yep i go through those good and bad days. I wish i could magically stay balanced so i could get on with my life. I have more higher and lower moments than Bruce's Play Your Cards Right.