SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 5th February 2024, 19:49

Default OCD bathing

Does anyone else feel like they have to bathe all the time to kill the germs? I recently have been imaging germs crawling all over my body and I think its becoming an obsession.

Maybe its anxiety over catching bugs because I have cancer. The other day I went into the kitchen and noticed how dirty the fridge was...Im not cooking at the moment because my mum is staying with me and does all the cooking but Im scared she is gping to poison me!
Before she arrived I used to get a cleaner in to clean my flat including the inside of the fridge!

I cant say anything to her or she will take offence and she had just had an operation to temove a lymph node so she cant do much .

So I feel scared that Im going to catch something and die....but I know this is irrational
Old 5th February 2024, 19:59

Default Re: OCD bathing

Maybe you could gently say, "Shall we clean the fridge tomorrow?"

Cleaning out the fridge is probably top of my list of favourite things to do with a cloth.

Yes, I have OCD around germs. I wash my hands so much.
Old 6th February 2024, 00:04

I used to love cleaning the fridge....when I had hands!!!!!

Im joking!!!
Old 6th February 2024, 08:25

Hi Angela,
Is it possible that you could have the cleaner come back in? Lots of people have cleaners while still doing a lot of housework themselves too, it's no judgement on your mum, just an extra pair of hands to do the bits that are hard to get to on top of tidying/cooking. Maybe once a fortnight even?

If not, I agree with Biscuits, rather than say the fridge needs cleaning, just say "I think I'll clean the fridge" (next time it needs stocking up, I always do it between shops as it gets emptier as it's easier) and then hope your mum offers to help. Breaking it down into areas might help? One shelf each day if the whole thing is too much.
Hopefully it will help with the feelings of germs if you can feel more in control of what gets cleaned x
Old 6th February 2024, 10:54

Yes I did run the idea by her just now but she had a real go at me saying that she cleans the kitchen fine and I dont need a cleaner.

I knew that would happen!!
Old 7th February 2024, 01:41

Maybe she’d feel more positive about a naked cleaner? Perky butt and cleaning perks along with it. Peachy keen.

Failing that- buy a new fridge. Tell her you saw a bargain and had an early hour morning of madness spending spree. Some even do a recycle offer. So goodbye old eyesore.

Failing that- maybe say you come across a promotion for a new cleaning product and want to try it out.

Failing that- wait until she’s out. She’ll have a moan when she sees it, but by the sounds of things what’s new? Or she could walk in to find a naked cleaner prancing around with a pink duster. We will expect you to add him or her to the appropriate SAUK candy thread. Sharing is caring.
Old 7th February 2024, 19:57

^ thank you for saying that. it's really good to use those thoughts for grounding. My OCD doesn't want to listen to logic. So it helps to try and combat intrusive thoughts with grounding thoughts.

Sometimes it can be really intrusive - what if I get ill? What if I pass it on to other people and they get really ill? That sort of thing. Those are the hardest intrusive thoughts about causing harm to others.
Old 7th February 2024, 22:51

A friend some years ago developed OCD about washing his hands and showering and even wears gloves or a bag on his hands to hold the vacuum. Also has general paranoia.

I honestly think that thoughts about everything being dirty and harmful are making him ill. I was reminded of this when watching The Diary of CEO. A therapist was saying that the things you believe become true because of confirmation bias. And that you can turn it around if you think positively.
Old 8th February 2024, 08:43

I think there are degrees if OCD. I personally dont have it to the extent it makes me ill but I have recently been more OCD than before.
I think its more things like rituals though! Like doing things in a certain order .