SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 15th April 2007, 00:03

Mood
Cool

Default SA Success Storys

I'm wondering.

Has there ever been examples of people actually being cured of SA?

In the few years since i've discovered that i was a sufferer i don't think i've ever actually come across a case were someone has been completely rid of it!

I sincerly hope there are some!!
Old 15th April 2007, 09:15

Default Re: SA Success Storys

no one is completely cured, because everyone has SA to some extent, i mean, we have too much of it, but its natural to have some concern about what others think. its like a natural level of SA is say 4, and we're at 9.5 or something. so you can learn to reduce your SA level to a more normal level.

i think an enormous amount of people have got alot better, to the point where they feel their quality of life has improved enormously, and they are really living a very different sort of life.

i dont think im 100% cured, but i certainly feel alot better, alot less ashamed of myself and content with who i am. i feel fear much less now, and beat myself up much less about what others are thinking or if people dont like me. some people still dont like me, but ive come to the conclusion this is normal, no one is liked by everyone, some people are just different, and its not my fault or problem if others dont like me.

what therapies have u tried? i know i bang on about CBT, but it worked very effectively for me, and it seems to have worked very effectively for other people too.

you could try going to david clark's therapy sessions in London. if thats not an option, try dr richards' tape course.

its not full-proof, because to some extent its in your hands. but if you have a really good go at it, i would be very surprised if in 6 months to a year you hadn't felt at least some improvements, and potentially quite large ones.

but that involves leaving where u are now, and i think a problem is, that sometimes its difficult exposing yourself to anxiety-provoking situations on purpose. however, thats what u have to do. call it 'intentional suffering'. you intentionally put yourself through some short term anxiety for the long-term benefits.

you do it bit by bit, you dont suddenly try and give a speech or something, but bit by bit it can work, and it can transform your life.

cheers pal,

jules
Old 15th April 2007, 17:24

Mood
Blah

Theres also a success story section listed on the main page of this site.
Old 15th April 2007, 18:05

Mood
Thinking

Mmmmm......Interesting.

Yes, everyone experiences anxiety to some degree........Its human....... Imagine the existential dilemma we'd face if humanity had no anxiety at all?......'Twoul be purely absurd.

But, two years ago- during period of psychotherapy- I was as close to being anxiety-free that I've ever been.

'Twas a delight to behold.

Old 16th April 2007, 13:11

Mood
Inspired

As Jules says there are lots of people who have managed to get their SA down to "normal" . Obviously they don't need a site like this so youre not likely to hear about them!!
Closed Thread