SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th September 2007, 10:54

Default Anyone who can't work

I haven't been able to work for more years than I care to admit to because of my problems, luckily for me financially I haven't needed to which is just as well as my unsympathetic doctor told me that I couldn't be signed as incapable for work due to an illness like mine so benefits were a no no.

Anyone else been unable to work for a long period of time?
Old 10th September 2007, 11:46

Mood
Dramaqueen

Default Re: Anyone who can't work

I haven't worked for about 2 years now, and with not being on Jobseekers I haven't had the push (new deal etc) to get back, so the longer i'm out, the harder it is to get back in. I've proved to myself in different jobs I can't cope, so i've given up, for now.
Old 10th September 2007, 12:13
fug

Ive been outta work for...well since i left school really.I had one job for 9 weeks which I totally failed because of my various problems and attemted college but failed for the same reasons.So i've been on IB for a while now But am doing pathways to work so hopefully ill be able to do something soon.

p.s- just to clarify ,I feel I should be working and that SA, agrophobia shouldnt be a barrier to that ,we just need a bit of extra support.Something that im finally getting.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:09

I've been out of work for a year,i've worked for a week and a half in that time. I hate being out of work but the fear of returning is greater than the misery of unemployment

I'm trying to change,i've signed up for a evening class and i'm going to a recruitment thing but i'm dreading it.
Old 10th September 2007, 14:53

Mood
Worried

I've never had a job. I'm 20 now and i've been on benefit since i was 18.

I want to get a job but right now i just feel like i wouldnt hack one =( i suffer from terrible upset stomachs (possibly IBS) and it tends to take over my life a bit sometimes.
Old 10th September 2007, 16:29

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredjane
I hate being out of work but the fear of returning is greater than the misery of unemployment
Very true. I've hardly worked in the past 12 months and you get into a rut and start dreading going back to work. I'm currently on the verge of pushing myself back into temping but the mere thought of starting somewhere new is really scary
Old 10th September 2007, 19:10

ive been out of full time work for about 2 and a half years now
and i think it definatley gets harder the longer you leave it where would be the best place to find temping work and what does it involve?
Old 10th September 2007, 19:41

Mood
Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog
ive been out of full time work for about 2 and a half years now
and i think it definatley gets harder the longer you leave it where would be the best place to find temping work and what does it involve?
The best place for getting temp work is through job agencies. It depends what you want to do but the bulk of it is office based admin/data entry type work. It is good because you are only employed on a short term basis, you get paid weekly and you can leave at anytime without giving notice. On the flip side there is no job security, you are on fairly low wages and won't get the same benefits as permanent staff like holidays, sick pay and all that.

All the office work I have done in the past has been through agencies as a temp. Its not ideal by any means but then for me personally I don't care what I do, I have no intention of working my way up the corporate ladder (don't think I could even if I tried anyway!) I am really trying to push myself back into work at the moment even if it is only till Xmas. Its very hard but sitting at home for months only makes you miserable. I suppose its better to be miserable and work and at least have some money.
Old 10th September 2007, 20:59

Mood
Cool

Sounds like you need to do something about that unsymathetic doctor of yours.

Just what illness did he say was not jucifiable enough for incapacity benefit?
Old 11th September 2007, 00:24

Mood
Bored

I'm 22 and have never done a days work in my life.

At the moment I can't see myself doing any work for at least a few more years. I'm just not ready yet. I feel like a complete failure living on benefits. My social worker is going to try and put me in some kind of work introduction course. I just hope I'm strong enough to give it a go.
Old 11th September 2007, 00:48

Mood
Worried

I feel the same way you do, shy guy.

Good luck with that course - let us know how you get on ok =)
Old 11th September 2007, 01:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy64
I'm 22 and have never done a days work in my life.

At the moment I can't see myself doing any work for at least a few more years. I'm just not ready yet. I feel like a complete failure living on benefits. My social worker is going to try and put me in some kind of work introduction course. I just hope I'm strong enough to give it a go.
beat you, im 25 and never worked, its coz of the kids but still, one day ill have too get a job and that is freaky.
ill cope, ill have too but its still scary.
Old 11th September 2007, 17:05

Mood
Balanced

i used to be relatively alright, until i approached my work place................then panik woud set in.......at worst i would i was petrified or shaking...........there was always a physiological change in me as i approached and because it was the only social activity i had outside of home it was pretty terrifying.....

if your like this then i think at the very least you should try medication to calm your nerves, then go for the holistic approach
got me through some year nightmaric years
Old 11th September 2007, 20:53

I've not officially worked for years, but i'm not saying how many. :embarass: I just do backhander jobs now, but I really want to get back into the working world. Damn those nerves!
Old 11th September 2007, 22:51

Mood
Balanced

I haven't work for... oooh ...years now.

I keep myself busy with studying so that it doesn't feel like my life is completely empty and pointless; but I am always aware that at some point I will have to go out into the workplace and start earning and providing for myself.

It is not a nice prospect. I don't know how people with SA difficulties can put themselves through that every day without having a nervous breakdown; they must be a lot braver than I am, thats for sure.

I know there are some jobs that don't involve much social interaction; but to get them I would have to go through the whole job application thing, going to agencies, explaining why I haven't worked in so many years, explaining why my CV is so empty. It is all so overwhelming and difficult.

Then there is the thought that any job I do get will necessarily be rubbish and boring and lead nowhere, as I have no qualifications and no skill and none of the necessary qualities to secure a decent job or advance myself in the job place.

Then that makes me consider how time is getting on and most people are well in to building their career by my age. So then I feel I have to accept that I will never have a career and that even if I work it will just be a string of low-paid, unfulfilling, dead-end jobs which at worst will cause me panic, anxiety and terror on a daily basis until I eventually have another nervous breakdown, or at best will be low-paid, tedious, monotonous and well below my (supposed) capabilites based on my (supposed) intelligence. In which case I think, well, if thats the best I've got to hope for, then theres no rush to get out there and start looking. Especially since just looking at a job website is enough to give me a panic attack.

Phew. Thats a whole heap of negative thoughts. Try untangling that mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugmaster
Ive been outta work for...well since i left school really.I had one job for 9 weeks which I totally failed because of my various problems and attemted college but failed for the same reasons.So i've been on IB for a while now But am doing pathways to work so hopefully ill be able to do something soon.

p.s- just to clarify ,I feel I should be working and that SA, agrophobia shouldnt be a barrier to that ,we just need a bit of extra support.Something that im finally getting.
What is pathways to work, Fugmaster? What does that involve, may I ask? Did you have to explain your SA problems to the jobcentre people to get on it? Did they take the problem seriously?
Old 11th September 2007, 23:02
fug

Great post rex

Quote:
It is not a nice prospect. I don't know how people with SA difficulties can put themselves through that every day without having a nervous breakdown; they must be a lot braver than I am, thats for sure.
Totally agree with that.

Quote:
What is pathways to work, Fugmaster? What does that involve, may I ask? Did you have to explain your SA problems to the jobcentre people to get on it? Did they take the problem seriously?
Well its a scheme to help people off disability benefits.So i think you have to be on Incapacity Benefit or possibly other benefits to start with.It's basically a bespoke programme customised to your needs.So far i have had free CBT sessions ,free gym membership and you get a dwp case manager and an NHS case manager.Your NHS manager is like your own personal cheerleader and also they are more concerned with getting you well and more active than just getting you into work.

Obviously it is the job of the DWP case manager to take care of the work based stuff.I havent done much with that yet,but they do programmes and taster courses and such.

If you can get on pathways I would highly reccomend it.But I think you can see a disability advisor who can helpif you dont claim IB.

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/jcp/...ork/index.html

But just phone up the jobcentre or go and and tell them your situation.

Are you claiming any benefits right now??

p.s-they are highly professional and understanding in my experience.i even had a major panic attack and the woman was brilliant.My mum works on IB actually so i'll try and get some more info for you on whats avaliable.
Old 11th September 2007, 23:44

Mood
Balanced

Thanks Fugmaster. Quick reply, and useful stuff. I will have a look tomorrow when I'm less tired.
Old 12th September 2007, 13:38

Mood
Balanced

working is hard, i seem to be fine around certain people and anxious around others, i remember one job we had to have these - mini-confrences, i just kept quite and it was alright no feedback. another job we had to have one to ones with our supervisors and it was a nightmare, i think in hindsight its best to be like everybody else if possible, low key to the max.

try not to think to much, my main problem was being fine around some and not around others, so you need to level it out somehow.

i'm sure there are people your fine around mum dad etc, try to bring that to the table when feeling anxious(i know some of you are anxious around folks to) but try to find balance

if you speak from the heart when your with those you trust, maybe try to do it around those you don't
Old 13th September 2007, 03:03

Thats really interesting about the pathways course, Fugmaster I had no idea this existed, sounds like it may help me and it is available in my town (miracle!) I'll see if I can find out anything about it.
Old 13th September 2007, 15:52

I'm only able to work about 4 hours a day in a job that just makes me feel like a complete failer... however I'm studying as well which makes me feel a bit better ..
Closed Thread