SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 11th September 2007, 10:13

Default CBT/therapy/drugs - need advice

So then, I told my Dad everything about my social anxiety, and all about this place and the meets I've been to etc. That's all well and good; no more bottling it up anymore. However, the next step now is actually dealing with this shit. As I am now, it's getting worse, and now I find my job increasingly hard to deal with on a social level, and dealing with it myself isn't working... at all.

I want to see my doctor next week and tell him about all this, and I'm wondering what he's able to offer me. What's CBT like? Has it helped anyone? Is it free on the NHS? What drugs are there? How do they help? etc etc.

I want to deal with this now, as leaving it will get me nowhere. I'm tired of this shit, and I refuse to let it continue like this.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 11th September 2007, 11:34
fug

Default Re: CBT/therapy/drugs - need advice

Welcom back Goddy nice to see you posting again.

Drugs are a mixed bag really.Like dual says your doctor will know best.Be prepared to try a few different medications before you find the one that suits you best.And once you find it stay on it for a good six months.

I dont know if you've had any psychotherapy before?My previous experience of it hasnt been all that great.What I found with CBT is that it is more solution orientated.You basically look at your life from a scientific view and analyse where youre going wrong.Again lots of experimenting trying different things and seeing how you react.

Just give whatever it ids you try a fair bit of time.It takes a commitment to get anything from it but im sure you'll be up to that.
Old 11th September 2007, 13:44

Cheers for the feedback, you two.

I haven't had any treatment myself. The only people that knew about it were the good old people of SA-UK - until recently, when I told my Dad.

I'm nervous about going to my Doctor, but it has to be done, I guess.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:59

Mood
Balanced

i think drugs can be effective for a while, depending on the situations, they've definately mellowed me out, i think though in the long run you want something more real, like what normal people have.......... so how do you get there.............. i think you have to work dam hard meditation exersise yoga diet positive thinking etc.

effort needs to be made

good luck
Closed Thread