SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 28th January 2011, 23:52
Banned

Default UK Top 40

I know everyone goes on about music today being shit etc and the charts are crap but i never really cared or took noticed of who's in it but i just had a look at the Top 40 online and there's not one 'traditional' rock band listed.

The music seems to be either one of 2 genres pop or r'n'b/hip hop and there are about 5 artists with 2 or more singles in the top 40. There's nothing wronmg with these 2 genres but ppl listen to others so why not represented that well in terms of sales.

I remember the last time i listened to the chart show on a Sunday afternoon about 5-10 yrs ago and the range of music what much much broader than it was now.
You could argue who gives a toss as bands and artists don't need to be in the Top 40 to get recognised/successful but i do think we are poorer for having such a musically limited UK chart.
Old 28th January 2011, 23:55
Banned (at own request)

Default Re: UK Top 40

yeah , i take no notice of the top 40 . its garbage

id say its teenagers with their pocket money buying singles (just like i used to do)

The top 40 is no reflection on the success or quality of a band at all , it just means 75,000 kids bought a cd and 75,000 people aint that many . its just a football ground full.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:01
Banned

But teenagers in the past would buy all like different types.
I think nowadays record companies for these 2 genres market more heavily whilst record companies representing the others don't as much as sales is not as a high priority.
Artists like Rihanna will churn out albums quite quickly in succession and take aroudn half the album as singles which is why some of them have more than one single in the chart as before they would wait till it went out of the Top 40 to release the next one and concentrate on promoting that song.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:03

Mood
Alienated

They should bring back Top of the Pops. I wouldn't have a clue what is in the charts at the moment and suspect most people don't either. The only music the average person is aware of these days is what they see on the X Factor
Old 29th January 2011, 00:07
Banned (at own request)

i think radio is a major factor too , as radio is quite influentional when it comes to people buying cd's.

Mainstream radio tends to shy away from rock , metal , folk , classical . Its all RnB and artists like lady gaga , katy perry
Old 29th January 2011, 00:07

Mood
Mellow

Likewise, I must be showing my age though finally. Chart music is primarily aimed at teenagers anyway methinks (I confess I even bought "Smash Hits" magazine in my early teens)... Anyway, I'm off to abuse my ears with sounds from the underground.
Old 29th January 2011, 00:35

Music tastes are much more diverse now, the charts are filled with generic crap and the radio spammed with it. The only way I really find new music is browsing Youtube videos.

As most people tend to share the above mentioned generic crap when you ask for different music.
Old 29th January 2011, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnni
Artists like Rihanna will churn out albums quite quickly in succession...
Rihanna features on just about everyone's song at the moment, as does Taio Cruz, Tinchy Stryder, Flo Rida.... it's all getting a bit predictable and auto-tune is being used far too much.

As people have said, there doesn't seem to be much variety in the charts like in those olden days when there was something for everyone.

Even though rock isn't my favourite genre, I hope there'll be some sort of rock revival soon!
Old 29th January 2011, 01:34

Mood
Breezy

It's not just R&B and hip hop. Looking at the top 40 list now there is also UK Funky, Dubstep, House, Ballads, Grime, Trance, Electro house, pop rock. But yeah not much rock or indie admittedly. It's definitely stuff that teenagers buy, but that's who buys singles as opposed to albums. The album chart has a lot more rock stuff in it.
Old 29th January 2011, 17:50

Mood
Cynical

I think kids have been pretty much brainwashed into thinking 'good' music is whatever makes money, and is advertised on TV, it's a sad state of affairs really. I remember when POP used to be short for popular, now it's short for quite a few four letter words I don't think I can say on this forum ...
Old 29th January 2011, 17:55
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeby
I think kids have been pretty much brainwashed into thinking 'good' music is whatever makes money, and is advertised on TV, it's a sad state of affairs really. I remember when POP used to be short for popular, now it's short for quite a few four letter words I don't think I can say on this forum ...
they should put a extra "o" in the middle
Old 29th January 2011, 18:22
Banned at own request

Mood
Doh

A couple of years a go we did have a chart full of bands, first with the Oasis/Blur era and then a while ago with Coldplay and Co.
Nowadays, the only band that really gets into the charts are Kings of Leon and they're American! (I think that they are actually not popular in America and we've kind of adopted them).

I'm not really sure where the bands went, music does seem to be going through a quiet stage at the moment.

Whilst we're on the subject of music, here's an interesting debate from the Today progamme. I liked how James Blunt's mum got involved to defend her son against the nasty rough boys!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9373158.stm
Old 29th January 2011, 19:18

Mood
Cloud_9

Different genres play more varieties on different radios, the top 40 is full of pop / hip hop / r & b / grime / dub step / dance, because thats what the majority of people like to listen to.
Alot of music channels have for instance top 10 new rock beats or something like that =)
Old 29th January 2011, 21:59

Mood
Bored

The charts are horrible, yep. Crappy pop, electro house (all of it sounds exactly the same), grime (absolute worst genre ever, it's like having poo forced into your ears) and crappy commercial dubstep. Indie is terrible too, all of the groups sound the same.

Compare that to what the charts were like ~40 years ago. Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick (the whole album, not just the intro) #1 worldwide, now that's a work of art.
Old 29th January 2011, 22:16

Mood
Blah

I havent properly followed the top 40 for nearly 10 years now. And when I do glance through the charts its mostly pop/hip hop etc churned out by artists I barely know or be bothered to learn about cos theyll be forgotten within a year.
Old 29th January 2011, 22:27
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Prunes
The charts are horrible, yep. Crappy pop, electro house (all of it sounds exactly the same), grime (absolute worst genre ever, it's like having poo forced into your ears) and crappy commercial dubstep. Indie is terrible too, all of the groups sound the same.

Compare that to what the charts were like ~40 years ago. Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick (the whole album, not just the intro) #1 worldwide, now that's a work of art.
kudos
Old 29th January 2011, 22:34

Mood
Dreaming

rights about the crud up there. So many metal bands, experimental, electro artist that deserve it.
Old 29th January 2011, 22:59
Banned (at own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xTKsaucex
So many metal bands that deserve it.
Certainly agree with that. some of the metal bands i like are infinitly more talented than what most acts in the charts could ever dream to be .

Also metal bands are 100 times more hard working.

It makes me sad to watch some of my favourate bands , that are just sheer brilliance , never make the charts and play in little underground clubs and struggle to sell 3000 - 4000 tickets
Old 30th January 2011, 20:47

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplodocus
It's not just R&B and hip hop. Looking at the top 40 list now there is also UK Funky, Dubstep, House, Ballads, Grime, Trance, Electro house, pop rock. But yeah not much rock or indie admittedly. It's definitely stuff that teenagers buy, but that's who buys singles as opposed to albums. The album chart has a lot more rock stuff in it.
I am an old person and consequently have no idea what Grime and Dubstep and Electro House are. Could somebody help me out and post a link to examples, please?

Just as a preliminary I will say that I don't like them.

And what the young people today call "Indie" and "Alternative" just isn't. It's guitar pop with a shouty chorus that you can wave your lighter to at festivals.

I can remember when all this round here was Howard Jones and Nik Kershaw...
Old 30th January 2011, 20:55

Mood
Brooding

Whats the top 40?!
lol
Closed Thread