SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 25th March 2015, 16:50

Default Awkward

I was asked the other day by someone if I had any hobbies, I was a bit thrown by the question as I wasn't expecting it but had to answer no, not at the moment. I felt really quite embarrassed as it sounded like I don't do anything (I don't to be honest). I used to have hobbies and interests as a youngster but haven't had any for years now, would like to find something that interests me but nothing appeals. Does anyone else feel like this?
Old 25th March 2015, 18:05

Default Re: Awkward

Hi Dannysbabe,

I don't think I've been asked what my hobbies and interests are since I was a teenager. If someone asked me the same question now do you think the answers I gave people way back then would shut them up - "Stamp collecting, French knitting and Adam Ant"
because, like you, I wouldn't really have very much to say.

Seriously, I would have politely given someone short shrift if they'd asked me that question in recent years while I was bringing up my son as I had neither the time, energy, or money to indulge any hobbies or interests that may have appealed to me such as Photography, and travel.

It sounds like the person who asked you this question was just trying to make polite conversation and had no intention of causing you any embarrassment, but nonetheless, when those awkward questions like "What do you do?" start coming you want to make a quick exit don't you. In such a situation maybe I would have said I spend a lot of time on my PC, which could cover a whole multitude of things, and then turned the focus of attention back on to the other person by saying 'So, what hobbies do you have?

You say that nothing appeals to you, Dannysbabe, but could it be that there are things that you would be interested in but SA and lack of confidence holds you back from having a go? I suffer with Depression which sometimes means it takes all of my energy to get out of bed let alone pursue hobbies.

At the moment my interest is posting gobbledegook on a mental health forum and the, skydiving, bungee jumping and running Marathons can wait till later

Hope that helps
Old 26th March 2015, 23:01

Yea, hobbies are something you do when your younger I think mainly to keep you out of trouble when you have too much time on your hands. Perhaps pastimes is more relevant now. But in reality I think when people become adults and have all the extra responsibility to deal with ; bills, work etc there isn't as much time and you would probably find most adults don't have hobbies. At the same time I think interests come along at times when your not looking for them. Wouldn't call it a hobby as such but I'v recently become interested in keeping fish and am building an aquarium, not something I would give an answer to a hobbies question right enough.

All that aside I would rather someone told me they didn't have a hobby rather than start into some tall tail about bog snorkeling or free diving. Refreshingly honest.
Old 26th March 2015, 23:47

Mood
Lurking

I don't have any hobbies as i really don't have time. I've been asked before and i never know whether to make up some nonsense about scuba diving or mountaineering to make my life sound exciting, or just to say that i don't have any. I usually say something like...."well i like reading......." then there's a silence as people get the jist of me.
Old 27th March 2015, 15:06

Mood
Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
I was asked the other day by someone if I had any hobbies, I was a bit thrown by the question as I wasn't expecting it but had to answer no, not at the moment. I felt really quite embarrassed as it sounded like I don't do anything (I don't to be honest). I used to have hobbies and interests as a youngster but haven't had any for years now, would like to find something that interests me but nothing appeals. Does anyone else feel like this?
hey danny,
i felt the same way as you a while ago. but i started to realize that there a quite a lot of people who do not have hobbies and other interests. you ask a 100 people at random if they had any interests or hobbies i am pretty sure a good proportion of those will not have an answer. i feel as those these days its normal so no need to feel embarrassed.
Old 27th March 2015, 18:01

Mood
Nerdy

I think it's easy to imagine that everyone else has a really exciting life, but a lot of people don't really do all that much in their spare time. Loads of people just sit and watch telly, and there's nothing wrong with stuff like that if it's what you enjoy doing.

It's all too easy to forget your interests when you're put on the spot!
Old 27th March 2015, 18:15

Mood
Curious

I don't have any hobbies. I have things I sometimes enjoy doing like reading or listening to music.
I have been asked the question quite frequently in recent years and I just tend to say none and then feel like quite embarrassed. However, the last time someone said "what do you like doing" I said "I just like chilling out.. on the intenet or watching TV" and they accepted that as a good answer! Because they meant "what makes you happy" and I just like to be occupied by things that are relaxing and don't cause me stress like working etc.
In reality I'm quite a restless person and my attention span is quite short due to depression so I even get distracted and bored watching TV much of the time. But hey ho
Old 3rd April 2015, 14:10

Thanks for all the replies Things are difficult now as my mum recently died and I've soon got to leave the home I shared with her an have lived in all my life. Maybe if/when I get settled in elsewhere I will have more opportunities to find some interests, or if I'm brave enough, a job!
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:36

Be brave.