SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th August 2019, 20:04

Default Resigned to be alone, no friends, nobody. How too get through everyday alone?

Basically too cut a long story short my rocky relationship has come to an end, it was probably one of the rockiest relationships that has ever been. She was an alcohol with aloooot of issues (anger, resentment, abuse and a lot more). But since I’ve had SA since I can remember i got into this relationship purely for company, I’m not going to go into it all as it would take forever too explain.

Long story short I’m back single with no friends due too my social anxiety and now had to end my relationship due to it being so toxic, no job as I had too quiet that as I was dreading everyday due to SA.

now I’m fully alone all day everyday. It saddens me inside I need interaction but feel so awkward in any interaction it’s unbearable. Who do any of you guys in this situation get through each day without feeling so empty?
Old 14th August 2019, 20:25

Mood
Cynical

Default Re: Resigned to be alone, no friends, nobody. How too get through everyday alone?

I think you did the right thing by ending what sounds like it was a very toxic relationship. As it's not been very long ofcourse it's natural that you'd feel worried that you won't meet anyone else etc, but that doesn't have to be the case.
There are lots of people here on the forum who have been in very similar situations to you. Online contact isn't a substitute for real life contact but it certainly helps with loneliness and by getting to know people online through places like this it's possible to develop those connections to be offline too.

Have you ever thought of doing any kind of volunteering , that can be a good way of getting a bit of social contact in a more manageable way (depending on what you do ofcourse)?
Old 14th August 2019, 20:40

Default Re: Resigned to be alone, no friends, nobody. How too get through everyday alone?

I think it is the right thing ending it too, all I’m concerned about is that I’ll cave in and get back in too the same relationship like I have done Many times since we first got too get 6 years ago, it’s dragged on and off for far too long being I’ve got no one else due to SA and me hiding away.

Yeah I guess so but I even struggle to keep up relaitionships with any single person online also as it just doesn’t feel like a real thing to me I lose interest and don’t fully connect probably cutting it short.

Volunteering sounds ok but where I’m at right now I don’t feel comfortable even talking to a delivery driver or the people on the tills at the shop so volunteering would be far to much for me right now I think
Old 14th August 2019, 20:55

Mood
Cynical

There is always the meetings section or you could also look at the penpals section to see if anyone lives in the same area to you and also wants to meet people (obviously this might be way too much for you right now, but just something to think about)

That's ok if you don't feel up to doing anything like volunteering right now, again just something you could think about further down the line if you wanted to.
Old 14th August 2019, 20:58

Mood
Daring

You absolutely done right by leaving a toxic relationship. Time heals, just focus on yourself and keep focused on what makes you happy
Old 15th August 2019, 00:12

It must have taken a lot of courage for you to end the relationship, however toxic it was, when your partner was the only person you really interacted with in life.
Believe me though, you are better off totally alone, for the time being at least, than with someone who is abusive and aggressive and only ever brings you down

I think loneliness and isolation can sometimes act as a great incentive to reach out to other people so I hope you will resist the temptation to get back with your ex again. Life is far too short to spend it with someone who doesn't make you happy.

As others have said, there might be some like minded people on SAUK that you could talk to, or there are meet up groups all around the country for shy and lonely people. Although the thought of meeting new people may understandably fill you with dread right now, you may feel a little braver if you first get to know them online. I know of lots of SAUK members who have gone on to make real life friends from here, and even partners, so I certainly wouldn't say that online connections are a waste of time. In fact for SA sufferers its often a godsend.

Look after yourself Jones
Old 15th August 2019, 21:06

I echo the other posts. This is a good place to post and receive feedback and maybe find others who can relate. You’ve definitely done a positive thing leaving this toxic relationship.
Old 27th August 2019, 13:53
Banned

I'l...let you know
Old 27th August 2019, 23:09

Mood
Bashful

I too had a relationship with an alcoholic several years ago and it too was awful so I know what you must have been going through.. Not much I can add, but when you feel a bit more confident about things I would go down the voluntary work route, but working outside if you can. Personally I find that easier than indoors. 2 mornings a week I do gardening work as part of an environmental volunteer force set up by our local council.I know nothing about gardening but I enjoy the time and we are supervised by a craft gardener so we can't do any damage by digging up any prize blooms!