SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th March 2020, 18:30

Default Re: Question for long-term users of SAUK

It really puzzles me I know there are tens of thousands of people out there with SA. So where the hell are they all going for support?? I joined this forum over ten years ago. In that time, people have become more, not less, open about their mental health problems. So there should be more people on here, not fewer.
Old 12th March 2020, 00:40

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
It really puzzles me I know there are tens of thousands of people out there with SA. So where the hell are they all going for support?? I joined this forum over ten years ago. In that time, people have become more, not less, open about their mental health problems. So there should be more people on here, not fewer.
I believe a lot more people use Facebook groups now. But that would not work for me as I wouldn't really want to be identifiable. I'd also worry that other Facebook friends would see what I post - I know many groups are private, but it some are not, and it doesn't feel as private as SAUK
Old 12th March 2020, 11:28

I've just had a speed read through the thread, including my original comment. I'm not really a user of forums or social media, so I don't know in what way SAUK appears outdated. However, in recent years, there has been a move away from "traditional" (I can't believe I'm using that word after just a couple of decades) internet to smartphone-based usage, which means apps. Of course, there is Tapatalk but someone is only likely to access SAUK through Tapatalk if they already use it through a PC (or similar device) so people just aren't finding it, perhaps.

It is possible to set up Facebook accounts in false names and I don't know how common this is, but I do know that a lot of people have multiple Instagram accounts (I don't even know how Instagram works) to keep parts of their lives separate, so perhaps this happens on Facebook too - or people just use privacy settings effectively (from the time I have spent on Facebook, I remember that SA groups there tend to be "secret" so as long as there is no public link to one's own feed, no other contacts would know).

I don't think there is a major issue with content here - I still avoid the "how is everybody feeling", "what are you doing/eating/drinking/listening to" type threads in favour of more specific titles, but that's a personal choice - and the comments above suggest that some feel more comfortable when it's quieter, which is a very valid point. Personally, I don't have the time to spend here that I did when I was agoraphobic, but a little busier might be nice (I am finding increasingly that I don't see threads to which I can add anything relevant).

I am guilty of not starting threads myself, which is largely down to not having time to "curate" them - I don't want to start a discussion, then leave it and return two weeks later as if I weren't valuing the comments posted. In the past, my threads haven't elicited too many responses, perhaps because I am seeing life differently to when I first found SAUK and am out of step with some of you in what I think might be an interesting topic to discuss? I do have some ideas though.

It seems telling, though, that the "decline" of SAUK coincides with the increased use of smartphones - I got my first in 2015 and I was relatively late in doing so (I was forced into it because everyone else had them and it was difficult to be a meetup organiser without one) and everyone seems to agree that the drop-off is post-2013 (the year when I found SAUK).

Ultimately, I think new people aren't finding SAUK because there's no app and others are turning away because they no longer use laptops (other devices are available).

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
Old 12th March 2020, 11:30

Quote:
I know it's been discussed before, but there are also 100+ people who log into here every day and never post. I know they might not feel able to post and they might get something out of just reading what everyone else is saying, but there likely won't even be anything to read at some point if the number of active members is slowly decreasing.
Old 12th March 2020, 15:39

^ If everyone who wished for it to be busier just posted a little more then it would be! I get that it's very difficult for some people to join in, but there's really only one solution to it since new members seem to either not post anything beyond an initial introduction or turn out to be bots, so it's probably up to the 100+ lurkers to influence change if they want it. I'm on a few other forums and it's true that most places have become less busy over the years, but some are still very active.
Old 12th March 2020, 16:35

Mood
Cynical

^ Very true.
Old 12th March 2020, 20:06

Mood
Alienated

I remember I started reading this forum in about 2009ish, I don't think I joined and posted till 2011? (oh I'm a terrible liar it was end of 2010)

I can imagine other people may be like this..give em a few years

Funny how you get used to places, I'll type any old shite in here now..been killing threads for years!
Old 15th March 2020, 11:27

I was just wondering whether this quieter trend on the forum is mirrored in the chatroom?
Old 15th March 2020, 12:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
^ Who knows? You need a Computing Science degree to get access to the chatroom.
Hmm, that doesn't sound encouraging.
Old 15th March 2020, 12:12

You can access the main chat room with only two clicks if you really want to, it isn't difficult. There aren't usually many people talking in there, but I have no idea how many there were when it was considered to not be quiet. It seems there are two or three other chat rooms the regulars use though.
Old 15th March 2020, 12:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen.
It seems there are two or three other chat rooms the regulars use though.
Really? Why do they do that? Are they using chatrooms from rival SA websites?
Old 15th March 2020, 12:41

I don't know, the times I've been on I've seen people asking for a link to another room or talking about it. I know they use a different one that also has voice/video chat, and there seem to be a couple of Discord servers going. I guess it's up to the people who use the chat since they seem like a close-knit group - maybe the other rooms are busier.
Old 17th March 2020, 21:11

Is it me or has the forum suddenly gone quieter than ever? I assumed that in the wake of this crisis there would be a spike, with old members returning in search of support or advice. Maybe people are afraid of being triggered
Old 20th March 2020, 01:19

Seems I joined in 2008, posted a few times, lurked till 2010 before being somewhat active for 3 yrs followed by 7 yrs of lurking till now, though that lurking could be days to probably even yrs apart.

Reading of my posts I'm not convinced it was me, I'm certainly not the same as I was, both for better and for worse. I don't exactly fit the A part of SAUK either. Though not sure 'socially inept' is any better not that i'd ever want to be social, but acceptance by others would be a nice change.

It does seem quieter, I'm sure I had moments where I thought about breaking my lurking before now and didn't partly due to this. But also lurking is my default behaviour in most places.

Now to reply in a few yrs?
Old 20th March 2020, 01:33

Welcome back, Golz
Old 20th March 2020, 19:57
Banned

Quote:
Is it me or has the forum suddenly gone quieter than ever? I assumed that in the wake of this crisis there would be a spike, with old members returning in search of support or advice.
the trouble is...