SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Welcome & Introductions Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 11th June 2018, 21:20

Default hi!

Hi everyone

Iíve been checking this forum now again for a while. Over the weekend I finally decided to create an account and make my first post.

Iím 23, male and for as long as I can remember Iíve been terrified of people and talking to them.. It took me until secondary school to speak to people in anything more than a whisper.

Things have gotten better over the past few 5 years in terms of being able to get by in society as my job requires me to be on the phone quite a lot.

What Iíve found increasingly depressing recently is my lack of much social life or intimate relationship. I luckily have two close friends but no experience or ability to speak to women around my age in any social context. Needless to say Iíve never had a partner or any conversation with a woman socially.

I long for friendship and an escape from loneliness yet do my very best to avoid social situations at all costs.

After feeling particularly down on the weekend I decided that I canít carry on like this.. Signing up to this forum and posting feels like a first step in getting some help.

Contacting my GP is my main concern at the moment. The thought of calling someone and telling them I believe I have social anxiety worries me a lot. Any advice on making this first contact would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is too heavy and rambling for a first post. Itís quite a relief to get some of these thoughts out of my head for once.

Thanks!
Old 12th June 2018, 21:20

Default Re: hi!

.. Come, come, join us!

Seems our welcome brigade are on holiday - i don't usually do welcomes. There's plenty of relatable stuff from your post, i'm sure you'll find this place a valuable resource
Old 13th June 2018, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidsseeghosts
Contacting my GP is my main concern at the moment. The thought of calling someone and telling them I believe I have social anxiety worries me a lot. Any advice on making this first contact would be much appreciated.
Hi and welcome
Definitely contact your GP. I've suffered SA for years and finally went to the doc about 2 months ago. What a difference it has made. I was prescribed medication, various lifestyle tips, websites etc.
Just go for it
Old 13th June 2018, 22:13

Thanks so much for the reply. Iím going to try and make the call tomorrow. Anxious but excited to see how things go.
Old 14th June 2018, 11:31

hi & welcome

I hope you manage to contact your GP today. Anxiety and depression are very common reasons for seeing a GP so they will be used to dealing with your symptoms.
Old 18th June 2018, 16:21

Mood
Dreaming

Hey kidsseeghosts, welcome aboard