SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 12th June 2018, 12:07

Default Did you take anything that made you feel normal?

If so, please share it here. I am at the point where I need to get on medication, so any recommendations would be good.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:40

Mood
Tired

Default Re: Did you take anything that made you feel normal?

magic mushrooms made me feel VERY normal for a short time,
I think most humans are actually abnormal,
to be normal is quite an achievement I think, in this day & age anyway.
Old 12th June 2018, 12:41

you cannot be recommended medication since everybody reacts differently given their brain chemistry. but im sure people will try.
normal isn't a feeling its a perception. a perception of yourself and how you fit into the world. you need psychotherapy to change that. in my opinion.
Old 12th June 2018, 18:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Dog
If so, please share it here. I am at the point where I need to get on medication, so any recommendations would be good.
No, why do you need to feel normal? Isn't it better to accept yourself? You are not your social anxiety. Your social anxiety represses who you are.
Old 13th June 2018, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco Da Gama
I think most humans are actually abnormal,
to be normal is quite an achievement I think, in this day & age anyway.
When I say normal, I'm meaning without SA, so most of the population would fall into that category. I'd usually be more specific but I just went for a gut feel and description when posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjynx
a perception of yourself and how you fit into the world. you need psychotherapy to change that. in my opinion.
I do believe therapy is a useful part of treatment. Not sure about CBT, but talk therapy, definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny88
Hi Lone Dog, yep it seems finding the appropriate medication can be difficult but sometimes not so difficult. It can often be a matter of trial and error but not always. I don't take meds but I have known a lot of people who swear by it. Definitely ring up your GP and discuss it with them.
The first port of call seems to be SSRIs, they appear to be 'indicated' for PTSD, panic disorder and SA. I wouldn't want benzos, and it's hard to get MAOIs and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try them anyway. I haven't seen a doctor for a while, but it may be that I'm gravitating towards that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutedsoul
No, why do you need to feel normal? Isn't it better to accept yourself? You are not your social anxiety. Your social anxiety represses who you are.
I think most people would swap their SA for normal, i.e. SA-free, I know I would. I accepted the SA, but as the years go by without having much of a life it's a bit wearing. I know we can intellectually say we are not our SA, but that doesn't amount to much when you are in public and feel panicky and feel like you are a few seconds away from a panic attack, and the SA stops you from doing and having what normal people do and have. Also, yes it does repress who I am, that's the point.
Old 13th June 2018, 11:40
Banned at own request

you say that most people would fall into the category of 'normal' which means they don't suffer from any social anxiety. But some social anxiety and inhibition is normal, particularly within our own culture...that's why there is a huge problem with drinking alcohol in this country.

by the time anything becomes a disorder, like we have, then it's a problem, but social anxiety in itself is not unusual...so long as it doesn't impact across every aspect of your life, as it does when it becomes a disorder.
I think it's helpful to remember that, rather than thinking of people being 'normal' and 'abnormal', they're not helpful terms and it's a bit too black & white.

Personally I take a very small dose of citalopram, but only when I'm working, I don't need it to cope with the rest of the things I do. I probably could manage work fine without it, in fact I do when I forget to take it, but for me I think it's a bit of a placebo. I think my SA has improved more just from having to cope with things over & over again & not really having a choice to give up. I suppose a clinical term for that might be exposure therapy.
Old 13th June 2018, 14:36

I take an SNRI (Venlafaxine) but my issues are a lot more complicated than clinical depression, even though that's what it's prescribed for. It makes me much calmer and able to handle my emotions better, I feel emotions very intensely so it stops me from feeling overcome by them, if that makes sense. I wouldn't say it makes me feel normal (what does that mean, anyway?) but it definitely helps me.
Old 13th June 2018, 18:49

Quote:
I think most people would swap their SA for normal, i.e. SA-free, I know I would. I accepted the SA, but as the years go by without having much of a life it's a bit wearing. I know we can intellectually say we are not our SA, but that doesn't amount to much when you are in public and feel panicky and feel like you are a few seconds away from a panic attack, and the SA stops you from doing and having what normal people do and have. Also, yes it does repress who I am, that's the point.
As I said, the real you isn't socially anxious
Old 13th June 2018, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Never had, never would. The only thing I would "treat" myself with is good nutrition, good sleep, and exercise.

If you haven't tried these things, you shouldn't even be thinking of ****ing around with your brain chemistry with potions - all of which are completely unproven for effectiveness.
I agree
Old 13th June 2018, 21:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermannHesse
Never had, never would. The only thing I would "treat" myself with is good nutrition, good sleep, and exercise.

If you haven't tried these things, you shouldn't even be thinking of ****ing around with your brain chemistry with potions - all of which are completely unproven for effectiveness.
This is how I feel about myself. I haven't really extended the thought to other people though because I'm not other people. If that makes sense? I only know what works for me.

I have tried anti-ds though and they weren't the right solution for me because my problems were more about my avoidant behaviour, selective-mutism and blushing. I needed to make life-style changes and break patterns of thinking and behaviour.

Sorry to babble on.
Old 13th June 2018, 21:06

Mood
Bashful

For me escitalopram and propranolol have absolutely changed my life, I think.
Old 14th June 2018, 09:24

Mood
Tired

Quote:
When I say normal, I'm meaning without SA, so most of the population would fall into that category. I'd usually be more specific but I just went for a gut feel and description when posting.
I think that's where a lot of us go wrong, we think everyone else is fine,
whereas pretty much everyone out there has varying degrees of neurosis, varying degrees of social anxiety, but they just haven't focused on it possibly, or labelled it as such,
it's part of recovery to see that everyone is imperfect and has things like SA going on too,
it can be a bit of a relief to see and process this fact.