Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 22nd May 2020, 20:38
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Default What experience (if you were to do it) would leave you completely happy to die 2moro?

What experiences would fill you with the upmost joy?
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:42
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Default Re: What experience (if you were to do it) would leave you completely happy to die 2m

That i truly meant something to someone and that they would miss and remember me.

(not exactly what you asked in terms of doing things but... I would be content if I had to go with just the knowledge of the above)
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:46
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Default Re: What experience (if you were to do it) would leave you completely happy to die 2m

Old 22nd May 2020, 20:53
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Thanks Deer . Sorry that wasn't meant to be a pity post!! it was just the first thing that popped in my head.
Old 22nd May 2020, 20:55
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Going in to Space and looking back at the Earth and out into the expanse of it all....I would be happy to die for that maybe.
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:06

Re-experiencing a family holiday from the early 90s.

Or drugs.
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:56

Shaking hands with my boyfriend.

It's been nine weeks.
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:01
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

God, you are easily pleased :p
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:08

Mood
Cynical

Shaking the hand of Jeremy Corbyn
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo34
Going in to Space and looking back at the Earth and out into the expanse of it all....I would be happy to die for that maybe.
That'd be a cool moment to die.

Bit of a tangent, as usual, here but I was watching a YouTube video talking about different planets in our galaxy.

There is a planet that is 6x the size of Saturn (unless I made that up) but if it to were fall onto a body of water it would float like a cork because its that light.

And,

There is supposedly a planet in our solar system that we can't see. It has only been detected and evidenced from computer models (whatever that means). It was described as if we could see it, it would be like a fish looking up at the underbelly of a whale as it swims over the fishy. The planet is that big. Mind-blowing.
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:11
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
Shaking the hand of Jeremy Corbyn

Aye, aye! We all know what that means!!
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:23

Mood
Cynical

^ I think that's a very valid and understandable thing to want.
Old 22nd May 2020, 23:27
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Oh come on, Hesse. There is no one as miserable as you who doesn't know the feeling of esctasy.
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:01
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer
That'd be a cool moment to die.

Bit of a tangent, as usual, here but I was watching a YouTube video talking about different planets in our galaxy.

There is a planet that is 6x the size of Saturn (unless I made that up) but if it to were fall onto a body of water it would float like a cork because its that light.

And,

There is supposedly a planet in our solar system that we can't see. It has only been detected and evidenced from computer models (whatever that means). It was described as if we could see it, it would be like a fish looking up at the underbelly of a whale as it swims over the fishy. The planet is that big. Mind-blowing.
Yeah it would be pretty awesome.

Cool. Saturn's also lighter than water and would float onto a body of water

I love watching those kind of videos on you tube. I was reading rather than watching about an odd planet that is made of burning ice. It's something like 800F so any water should well and truly have evaporated but instead the water is solid and burns. (its a special kind of ice i might add!).
Old 23rd May 2020, 00:56

To know, without a shadow of a doubt, that my son's future will be one that is filled with an abundance of all of the things that make life worth living: A fulfilling job, good friends, good health and, above all, love. Only then would I be happy to die tomorrow.

A bit of a tall order perhaps.
Old 23rd May 2020, 03:06

Some sort of drug that would give me a proper blissful disconnected from reality feeling, strong enough to not be wise if you have any plans to continue living afterwards. Can't think of a better way to go out than tripping off your nut.

Either that or like something out of Uncut Gems

Old 23rd May 2020, 03:31

Fake joy via some sort of off-my-tits experience,or being reunited with the people I love,which is impossible. Better start doing drugs I suppose.

I gave up on joy though,I'd settle for peace and shallow pleasurable distractions,none of which I'd be content to die after.
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raks1981
Going on a date, knowing someone saw some worth in me
. Lots of worth in you. That's for certain

For me, I don't think any experience, no matter how life fulfillng would leave me ready to die. You're a long time dead, so I'd like to be alive as long as possible
Old 23rd May 2020, 17:26
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Mine are:

Sing a song that I meant a lot to me to a packed out crowd singing along together. That's got to be an incredible experience right?

To write a book that clearly lays out my perspective. I always have ideas as to what I want to write about but I don't seem to have a refinement to do these ideas justice in the form of a novel.

I often imagine meeting a woman who I completely click with and we just have that mutual care and respect for each other. That pure intimacy but then I remember the reality of relationships and decide it's best not to pursue that one lol

Though I keep well away from the booze now, if I was to find out I was going to die. I like the idea of spending some of that time just getting hammered in a pub, and just dancing on my own to music I put on a jukebox.

In fact, when I remember watching the football factory I think? Two old best buddies live in same block of flats and spend their days on the flat balcony, chatting and getting stoned while having few beers. I'd love to have that sort of relationship at the end of my life.

I'd be quite happy getting stoned under a crystal clear night sky in the middle of nowhere. Add headphones in there as well and I'd be pretty happy I think.

Oh, and just spending an evening of romantic sorts with a really interesting woman. Passionate sex.

Also, I recently watched a video investigating a study that was held in an intensive care unit. This study from thousands of patients showed that (don't know the percentage so I'll just say..) a majority of patients experienced euphoria moments or periods before they died.

I find that comforting since I don't believe in after-death continuation.
Old 24th May 2020, 17:49

My experience of life so far has left me completely happy to die tomorrow.

"What experiences would fill you with the upmost joy? "

The experience of knowing that I would die tomorrow.

Sadly, my experiences to date suggest that I will not die tomorrow or any time soon.
Old 24th May 2020, 19:35
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuq
I don't want to go until I have seen my boys grow up. When I was really ill with the virus and having trouble breathing I thought I might die and it was horrible, and that's all I cared about. I had thought that I still wanted something out of life, I have always worried about 'being' something, because I always had rubbish jobs instead of a career, I thought I needed to achieve something in some way , for there to have been a point to me living. But then when I was really ill I realised that I don't care about doing anything or being anything at all, I just want to be here to be with my children and see them grow up.

It's quite nice really, realising I don't care anymore about trying to prove my worth to anyone, I am happy to be here, old, useless, poor, fat, ugly and characterless, so long as I am here.
I have a similar perspective since leaving the MH unit in December. Glad you back and breathing properly again :p

And don't make me do the 'oh, you aren't fat, ugly. Don't be silly' response :p

Instead I'll be classy and respond with, 'I'd shag ya'
Old 24th May 2020, 19:40
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamonD
To have a stress free, worry free and happy Christmas with tons of SNOW
That'd be a great way to end the year. A big white winter.
Old 24th May 2020, 20:06

Mood
Tired

Any experience would make me happy to die tomorrow haha
Old 24th May 2020, 22:39

If I could make the world a genuinely better place for future generations somehow. I have a lot of goals tbh, it isn't just one, that's what keeps me going. If I could even die fighting for something I truely believed in, it would be something, rather than to give in without a fight and achived nothing much really when you think about it in the context of human history, as I do. Life for me is stressful and depressing, we are not in normal times and the world is in a tense situation in truth, but my hope is people realise that war is pointless with the weapons we already have today, let alone tomorrows weapons which could give us the power of satan. Tbh, either we end everything or we contiue to improve - who knows maybe after another 6000 years of civilisation we will have a utopian world without borders - no violence or poverty. Life is imperfect, but it always was. What we do is keep moving in the right direction without giving in to reality. Human beings have been to the moon, can fly (faster than any bird) can swim underwater (faster than any fish), we can survive at at the bottom of the deepest oceans, at the top of the highest mountains, and even at the coldest/hottest points on earth, for quite some time. We are an amazing species, but we can also be cruel, selfish, and capable of great evil. My thinking is, either we slowly move towards utopia (in the distant future) or we all go to hell - simple as that.

I wish I could cure some major life threatening illness, for future generations and for all time so they won't have to suffer, ever again. That for me would feel like I have done my bit then I would happily trade my life for that.

I really am this profound lol, hopelessly naive, but stubborn.
Old 25th May 2020, 10:17

Mood
Tired

I've actually had one of those experiences where you were happy to die tomorrow,.(or today really as tomorrow never comes, you will always die TODAY)
it was an odd experience, where you were totally and completely fulfilled in the moment,
every second was sheer ecstasy, just breathing, just being... was enough in itself,

I think the whole trick is not that there is a great experience where something 'happens' but more that the part of you that keeps wanting more should cease.
each moment is totally enough, but there's a part of us that through habit, keeps looking for more, for something else further,
when you are stuck in the moment with nowhere to go, that part of you ceases it's striving and you find that this moment is always the best thing that could ever be, then, just to exist is totally fulfilling in itself.
Old 25th May 2020, 11:22

^ There are some great answers here (Consolida, Nanuq, Utopia...) but this one strikes a real chord with me; there have been times when, in the moment, I have thought "if I die right now, I die happy". Although those moments are ecstasy, the reality is that instead of making you happy to die, they make you want to live, in the hope of experiencing similar moments in the future.

I don't think that I am looking for something "more", it's more that I am looking for more of the same (albeit through new experiences); it is possible to live in the moment and enjoy what we have now, whilst at the same time wanting to experience more in the future. There are still so many things I would like to do, but I've also had so many wonderful experiences (and in recent times, a life beyond any that I ever imagined - so much so that I do, literally, pinch myself frequently) that if I died right now, I wouldn't consider myself unfulfilled.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody
I've actually had one of those experiences where you were happy to die tomorrow,.(or today really as tomorrow never comes, you will always die TODAY)
it was an odd experience, where you were totally and completely fulfilled in the moment,
every second was sheer ecstasy, just breathing, just being... was enough in itself,

I think the whole trick is not that there is a great experience where something 'happens' but more that the part of you that keeps wanting more should cease.
each moment is totally enough, but there's a part of us that through habit, keeps looking for more, for something else further,
when you are stuck in the moment with nowhere to go, that part of you ceases it's striving and you find that this moment is always the best thing that could ever be, then, just to exist is totally fulfilling in itself.
Your post reminds me of this quote from an essay by Kurt Vonnegut I read a few years ago:

"But I had a good uncle, my late Uncle Alex. He was my father’s kid brother, a childless graduate of Harvard who was an honest life-insurance salesman in Indianapolis. He was well-read and wise. And his principal complaint about other human beings was that they so seldom noticed it when they were happy. So when we were drinking lemonade under an apple tree in the summer, say, and talking lazily about this and that, almost buzzing like honeybees, Uncle Alex would suddenly interrupt the agreeable blather to exclaim, 'If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.' So I do the same now, and so do my kids and grandkids. And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.'"

I always try to keep it in mind, though I often forget. I enjoy moments of happiness even more when I remember to appreciate them for what they are while they're happening instead of just later when they're memories. Even the most trivial and insignificant pieces of happiness can feel like enough then.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:54
Banned at own request

Mood
Goofy

^ That's a good attitude to have. My only concern with that is, I believe we are happiest when we are not analysing or rating our experiences within the hierarchy of feelings.
I felt annoyed when Uncle Alex, stated how nice it was in the way that Vonnegut framed it. I think he has took a passing remark too literally.
I couldn't bare listening to myself or anyone else having to remark how nice of a time it is every time I was enjoying myself. I think the reasoning of Vonnegut here is a little dry and cheap.

My experience of joy, or intimacy with a moment, doesn't feel like it needs to be refined. I don't even understand your notion of insignificant happiness. if you feel happy, why isn't that enough, in that moment, in itself? To turn happiness into another pursuit is just depressing if you ask me. especially when it is to the micro level of having to tell yourself when you are happy. God, no!! Too much!! Too mechanical and robotic for my brain.
Old 25th May 2020, 13:52

Mood
Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer
Aye, aye! We all know what that means!!
As I have continually stated I am only interested in his socialist principles, and I'm sticking to that