SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 14th August 2018, 13:32

Default Really want to become a PT/Gym instructor but SA holding me back?

So I really need a career change and lifting weights is something I've been into since I lost a lot of weights. Rather than going to a gym and being awkward I bought my own equipment and work out at home. I'd love to take this further and do it for a living.

The problem, there are plenty of distance learning courses but all require a practical where you take a friend to a gym and record yourself training them. The main problem is I don't have any friends and never set foot in a gym. So not really sure how I proceed with this.

Any ideas? I mean finding a friend sounds easy doesn't it for most, it's the same reason I never enter these Facebook comps that say tag a friend, I really don't have any.
Old 14th August 2018, 15:57

Default Re: Really want to become a PT/Gym instructor but SA holding me back?

What***8217;s your location? You might find someone here who lives close by thinking ***8220;I could really use an understanding and relaxed gym instructor***8221;. But location is key
Old 14th August 2018, 18:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewyear
What’s your location? You might find someone here who lives close by thinking “I could really use an understanding and relaxed gym instructor”. But location is key
Northern Ireland so highly unlikely
Old 14th August 2018, 20:30

Mood
Cynical

There are people on here from Northern Ireland, they might just be lurking. Could be worth a try!
Old 18th August 2018, 22:25

Mood
Tired

Fantastic to hear
Quote:
The problem, there are plenty of distance learning courses but all require a practical where you take a friend to a gym and record yourself training them. The main problem is I don't have any friends and never set foot in a gym. So not really sure how I proceed with this.
That seems to be the case with a lot of things, not just courses, but many recreational activities too. Not having people available to meet-up with is a major barrier to a lot of people that just doesn't seem to occur to many. It's not just people with limited social circles, many of us find ourselves in situaitons where our friends are busy, are not interested in the same things we are, they get tied down. For some bizarre reason, it doesn't occur to people that not having people to do things with is a common problem.

For the time being, keep searching, you're bound to find the right people. Where there's a will there's a way.