SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 31st December 2023, 19:14

Default What are your hopes, plans, dreams for 2024?

Have you got any hopes, dreams, plans for 2024?

Is there something new you'd like to try?

Are there some things you'd like to do more or less of?

Is there something coming up that you've got planned or are going to start in 2024?

Old 31st December 2023, 20:21

Default Re: What are your hopes, plans, dreams for 2024?

Eat more cake, try new cake, have more holidays in places that serve cake.

Throw tent in bin
Old 31st December 2023, 21:08

^ YES, BFG. I’m hoping to have some Black Forest gateaux in 2024.

I hope all of your cake dreams come true in 2024.
Old 1st January 2024, 11:48

I'm hoping to go to Germany this year.

Tembo, SAUK's resident travel agent, has shared really useful info about how to get there by train :D
Old 1st January 2024, 12:51

^ Oh nice! Anything in particular you'd like to see over there?

How's your German? (mine is sadly completely non existent. I learnt English and Spanish at school)
Old 1st January 2024, 14:20

^ I'd love to go to Berlin or somewhere in Bavaria, but wherever I go I'll have fun I'm sure! Price might be the deciding factor.

I studied German for three years at school, but I took GCSE French. My brain has held on to the most important words like Guinea pig, bread, cakes haha
Old 1st January 2024, 16:38

^I admire anyone who is brave enough to learn a language as painful as French!

I want to improve my communication skills, although I'm still not sure how to do that.
I do a support and care job, which I love but think I completely suck at, since I'm mostly quiet and don't say anything.
Yea, I'm nice, gentle and attentive. But I can't entertain or lead. Which is often needed for some people I'm supposed to care for.

I already know I'll take more opportunities and have to create more opportunities for lively conversations versus online chat, although online chat does help me with the verbalisation of my thoughts. I've been interested in improv for a while too, but that's a big leap and scares me.
Old 1st January 2024, 16:48

2023 had some horrible moments for me, but ended with a wonderful plot twist that I didn't imagine.
I'm just hoping that 2024 brings more happiness of the same kind.
Other than that, I want to buy my own place, get regular exercise, eat better and feel more comfortable about being myself.
Old 1st January 2024, 16:51

^^ je suis vraiment merde pour parle Francais!

(That's probably grammatically incorrect, sorry!)

I went to France last year (for the day haha) and very quickly realised that GCSE French is in no way helpful. I have it a go though.

Those are great ideas for things to work on. Also I'm sure a lot of people appreciate the quiet and gentle approach

Does your work have opportunities for courses that you can go on? Sometimes there are free online ones.

Improv sounds like fun!
Old 1st January 2024, 16:53

^^ well, I have to ask what's the wonderful plot twist? But you really don't have to answer at all if you'd prefer to keep it personal

Great plans for 2024
Old 1st January 2024, 17:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiouslondoner
2023 had some horrible moments for me, but ended with a wonderful plot twist that I didn't imagine.
I'm just hoping that 2024 brings more happiness of the same kind.
Other than that, I want to buy my own place, get regular exercise, eat better and feel more comfortable about being myself.
Great plans

Good thread topic Biscuits

For me, eat more salmon and chocolate!
Old 1st January 2024, 18:33

Meh. Need to retrieve my motivation from the toilet. The combo of no baby to look forward to and general middle aged failure is not motivating, but I've had some midlife crisis insights.

I need to maintain muscle and I feel I should hire a personal trainer to help
Old 1st January 2024, 19:56

^^ yum, can I come round for dinner? I'm trying to like salmon - I think I just need some recipes to make it pop a bit more.

^ the gym I go to is fairly cheap (as gyms go!) and the classes are usually included in the price. Just an idea if a personal trainer is too pricy.
Old 2nd January 2024, 02:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsy*
^I admire anyone who is brave enough to learn a language as painful as French!

I want to improve my communication skills, although I'm still not sure how to do that.
I do a support and care job, which I love but think I completely suck at, since I'm mostly quiet and don't say anything.
Yea, I'm nice, gentle and attentive. But I can't entertain or lead. Which is often needed for some people I'm supposed to care for.

I already know I'll take more opportunities and have to create more opportunities for lively conversations versus online chat, although online chat does help me with the verbalisation of my thoughts. I've been interested in improv for a while too, but that's a big leap and scares me.
I also find that online chat helps with the verbalisation of my thoughts, if I'm with people I'm relatively comfortable with.

That's great that you do a support and care job. I'd like to do something like that, if I ever did I'm sure I'd suck at it, despite being nice and gentle (and I try to be attentive)

I rarely share this. I was a nurse once when I was 18. I hated it. I had SA I guess but didn't realise it then. People always said I was ''nervous'' and ''shy'' etc. I didn't get on with the bullying staff nurse on the ward. I loved the theory but also sucked at the practical side of things...But I did enjoy trying to help the patients.

I'd like to learn to play the piano properly. Which would mean lessons I guess. That would be very scary for me.
Old 2nd January 2024, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^^ yum, can I come round for dinner? I'm trying to like salmon - I think I just need some recipes to make it pop a bit more.

^ the gym I go to is fairly cheap (as gyms go!) and the classes are usually included in the price. Just an idea if a personal trainer is too pricy.
Sure, you can come round for dinner
Old 19th January 2024, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
^^ je suis vraiment merde pour parle Francais!
Haha, throw 'merde' here and there, and you can sound practically fluent

My work doesn't have opportunities to improve verbal fluency, but there is training to understand the medical conditions of our service users and how to support them best.

I was speaking to a friend recently and he made me realise that I didn't mean 'lively conversation' as in lively being chirpy. I meant 'live and spontaneous' conversation, as opposed to online chat and this board, for example, where you have some time before you reply.

Being chirpy would be marvellous, for sure, but for now I'm just trying to not stall.
Old 19th January 2024, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebear
I didn't get on with the bullying staff nurse on the ward.
I'm so sorry bullies led you to stop doing this beautiful job. There are a few bullies in my workplace too, and in senior positions. I think if I was 18 and inexperienced, there is no way I could have stayed where I am.
Old 21st January 2024, 21:40

Mood
Alienated

I think I’d better put most of my hopes and dreams on hold again. But I would like to improve my communication skills, which are so poor and I really think are holding me back severely. I can verbalise well online, but not in reality. Communication is the key to all my failings, with work and relationships. I’d also like to find a way to make my brain less of a mess.
Old 27th January 2024, 20:52

I probably would go to the gym if I had a car. I only want a few PT sessions to set me straight but they probably like to take on regular clients.
Been making a start on pensions mess. When I've finished this grief cycle I want to develop a skillet if possible. But the only thing I really care about is settling down and getting by. Also I've been getting into middle aged women woo woo stuff, but it's pretty intense. Hopefully that should set me on the right path.
Tembo, I think you should just do it and go, and improve your communication as you do so. Easy for me to say, but I find it's about fighting demoralisation as much as anything.
Old 28th January 2024, 12:44

I want to get baptised. Havent spoken to the vicar yet feel a bit anxious!