SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 6th December 2018, 18:51

Default Are you looking forward to being old?

I mean 70 +? When I was younger it seemed so far off. Now it is looming up at me with increasing speed!
Old 6th December 2018, 20:19

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Are you looking forward to being old?

If I ever make it that far I'm going to be a right handful

You can say what you want when your old and no one will tell you off

I plan to push the boundaries
Old 6th December 2018, 20:23

I have a few years until I'm 70 but I'm unsure if you want to reach that age, maybe that is easy to say when I'm in my 30s.
Old 6th December 2018, 20:53

No, I'm dreading it. I was close to my grandparents and watched their final years ***8211; not pretty. They lived in a little bungalow that always seemed so dark and depressing. Plus, my grandmother was disabled from a broken hip and had quite bad depression. Eventually, my grandfather had to have an operation to remove part of his intestine. He then had a colostomy bag fitted. Then my grandmother died from a horrific stroke. After that, my grandfather was diagnozed with terminal cancer. The whole thing was just horrific. So much ****ing suffering. The callous indifference of the doctors and nurses was also chilling. They weren't cruel, but they clearly didn't give much of a shit ***8211; just two more old people for the crematorium. I was the only grandchild and lived quite close, so I saw it all. My mother used to look after my grandfather at night, while he vomitted and hallucinated and called for my grandmother. Horrible.

At least they had me and my mother. I'll have no one.

Still, I'm hoping that by the time I reach my 80s we'll have made some major medical advances. Bring on the medical nanobots and regenerative medicine. Oh, and virtual reality, new drugs...anything to make those final years less awful.
Old 6th December 2018, 21:50

I'm looking forward to retiring.
Old 6th December 2018, 23:57

Mood
Cynical

If I'm in reasonable health I'm looking forward to not caring what anyone thinks anymore, shaking my walking stick at people and complaining that things aren't the same as they were in my day (actually I do that already.)
Old 7th December 2018, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tink_
I'm looking forward to retiring.
That was my immediate thought when I read the thread title.

I fear that the retirement age could soon be 70+ if current trends continue. What a miserable prospect for someone just starting out in life.

It's not what this thread is about but if I could offer people in their 20s one piece of advice it would be to start thinking about pensions now. Right now. Work pensions, private pensions, SIPPS etc, all of them. Because the earlier you start paying in the better. They are your long term freedom plan. Without them you will likely be working when you are 70. And who wants to have to do that?

Do I look forward to being 70+? Yes and no. That's 20 years away for me, which isn't a very long time considering how fast the last 20 years has rushed by. I'm very aware that I might not even make it to 70. Lots of people have heart attacks or are struck down with cancer before they get to 70. I just look forward to being alive in my 70s. I don't want to leave the party early, thank you very much. But I'm not looking forward to the inevitable physical niggles and ailments that accompany getting older. My left knee is already arthritic, god knows what it'll be like in 20 years time. I might be walking with a stick by then (like dougella plans to do). Or not walking at all! Oh well, I'll find out when I get there. But I definitely want to get there.
Old 7th December 2018, 15:59

I've been very fortunate with my health so far and I do know some people in their 60s and 70s who are still doing the things I enjoy - like travelling, hiking, going to festivals etc. - so I'm fairly optimistic that I have another 20 years of doing the same; however, I don't know anybody in their 80s doing those things (I'm sure there are some, somewhere) so I'm not so optimistic about what might happen in 23 years' time.

I don't want an old age where I'm confined to an armchair with only Coronation Street for company (I know, I am addicted to soap operas but as part of a balanced lifestyle!) but who knows what's ahead?
Old 8th December 2018, 01:44

No. TBH I'm hardly looking forward to anything at all, so the prospect of being alive but having a defunct body and/or mind, my parents dead, stuck on a meagre pension or worse struggling with work I am no longer capable of to make ends meet, in a world already rapidly heading for political and environmental catastrophe, sounds like hell to me. Might as well enjoy what I can of today and hope that I never make it that far.
Old 8th December 2018, 09:42

Mood
Musical

Well i'm just turned 40 and now yep i'm feeling abit old but doesn't bother me the older i get i'm looking forward to retiring when i'm at that age!
Old 8th December 2018, 14:38

Mood
Tired

I did once, but reality is setting in now that the government is forever moving the retirement age higher and higher,..
I was really looking forward to not working basically,
But that options out the window now,....
I'm really not a fan of working into my seventies ..
so will probably have to come up with a cunning alternate plan now
Old 10th December 2018, 10:10

Mood
Tired

I will invent the Catbus,..
it will be an old van, populated with me and some old stray cats for insulation company
they could live on a diet of unwanted mice and catfood from old ladies' houses,
I could live off a diet of washed-up seaweed, berries and chips, paid for by painting murals and such,..

I think I could be quite happy in a hippy community,.. for a few minutes
Old 13th December 2018, 10:23

Mood
Mellow

I want to convert one of those mobility scooters to look like a Harley or a Vespa when i'm old,still dance as if nobody is watching and wear bright colours and make sure I don't smell of pee. I have an Uncle who is in his late 80's and still globe trotting and enjoying his life,if I can be more like him then I will look forward to old age.
Old 14th December 2018, 20:05

Mood
Tired

^
Your Uncle sounds cool,
I knew a few old people, I think its down to how you live now, to influence what you'll be like later on,
I know a guy who's 95 and I get a real laugh and a real buzz from being with him and his wife, they're both amazingly fun characters,
They just seem to live to the full and enjoy their life,
It's in the genes too I think, to an extent, his brother had an OBE and his daughter is now a millionaire,...... some family
Old 18th December 2018, 18:15

Mood
Alienated

I just prey to god that i do not get their
Old 18th December 2018, 23:18

Nope. Mainly for financial/eventual disability reasons. At one point about five years ago, I started being jealous of people who were 60 because they could retire soon and didn't have to deal with jobs and would be dead before anything gets really bad. That is mad, from someone who should have been in their prime.
Old 20th December 2018, 13:15

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossieman
I just prey to god that i do not get their
wow!!..

welcome back Mr. Mossieman,

think the last time you were posting was years ago.
Old 20th December 2018, 20:41

Mood
Insomnious

Not really....tho frankly I assumed id be dead by now so...I guess its all sort of a bonus
Old 5th February 2019, 09:57

No, not looking forward to it. My sister, if still around, will be older than I am. Neither of us is a parent, so there will be no family to help look after us.
I expect to have to work well into my 70s - maybe later? - by that time in order just to survive.
If I'm lucky, I might have a lonely care home to look forward to in my final years, otherwise God knows what is going to happen.
My aunt and uncle are around 80 and noticeably starting to suffer/struggle. My father is only a few years younger.
Frankly, I can't see much good about old age, especially extreme old age.
I'm approaching my mid-40s and can already perceive the effects on ageing on me quite well. Not saying I'm over the hill yet but I can defo feel changes.
It's only going to get worse from here.
It's weird, but the older you get, the faster time seems to go. When you're a child and a teen, you feel as if you're immortal, but as you get older you feel the effects of ageing and you see people around you age and die, and you suddenly realise that's eventually in store you for you, too. Then it's just a a matter of figuring out how best to use the time you have left.
Old 13th February 2019, 09:05

Mood
Torn

Yes - for me, my SA has improved with age. I'm 52 now and have become more relaxed as I've aged. I still have the anxiety and avoidance issues, still get paranoid and still destroy friendships etc, but nowhere near as bad as I was. I'm so much more relaxed as I've aged and developed insights and understanding into my thoughts and feelings - stopping the reaction to those thoughts and feelings is still an issue though! I'm also very lucky that I was able to retire last November on a decent pension. My health will be an issue though. For many years I've tried unsuccessfully to get fit and lose weight etc and a month ago I collapsed and spent four days in intensive cardiac care and needed to have my heart stopped and restarted to correct the rhythm (cardioversion) That was a big wake up call. I've redoubled my efforts to improve my health and have stopped smoking and drinking and the weight is coming off too! It's made me realise how much I want to live and grow old!
Old 13th February 2019, 16:41

^ Gosh, your recent health scare sounded awful, Gnash, but I'm glad to hear you have made a decent recovery. I guess a close call like that can make you appreciate each day all the more and perhaps feel thankful for having the chance to grow old.

No, I'm not looking forward to getting old at all.

If I'm lucky (or unlucky) I guess it's possible, though unlikely, that I could have another 40 years ahead of me.

I'm already suffering with aching creaking joints and am forgetting where I put something down just minutes before (I swear I'm getting early Alzheimer's) so god only knows what kind of state I'd be in 10 years from now let alone 40.

My biggest fear, besides the likely pain and indignity of it all, is being a burden on family members that are still around. I've told my husband, and I shall tell my son too, to cart me off to Switzerland with a one way ticket when I can no longer do the most basic things in life such as feeding myself, or taking myself to the toilet.

Like others here, I've sadly seen too many independent and active people suffer from a relentless decline in health until they ended their final weeks or months sitting in some awful care home or hospital forgotten by relatives/friends and surrounded by demented folk, and the stench of poop and urine. I mean who would look forward to something like that!
It's so utterly horrific to have to witness loved ones fading away before your eyes often struggling with severe pain and with not a shred of dignity left.

However, what's the alternative to getting old. Dying young? That's as equally as horrific for loved ones to witness and so cruel for the dying person if they realise that their life is going to be cut so short. My husbands first wife was only 32 when she passed away and my Dad was 60. What might they have given to at least have had the opportunity to grow old?

However, old age is by no means a bleak time for everyone. As others have said, if you have your health and are not living in Poverty retirement can be something to very much look forward to. You finally have the freedom to perhaps travel, and pursue some of the hobbies you never had time for while working. It can also be a much less stressful time in a persons life when they are no longer having to take care of children or elderly parents.

There used to be this lovely gentleman in his late 80's who used to always exchange a friendly word with me when I passed his garden gate on the school run. He seemed such an active man in mind and body and was still going out for regular outings in his little car. Then one night, a few days after I had seen him looking his usual smiley self, he went to bed as usual and just never woke up. I felt so sad when I heard the news but then I thought If growing old can be like that right up to the very end then maybe it doesn't have to be something to utterly dread.
Old 13th February 2019, 17:32

^ Technically, you must not have help to go to Switzerland. Anyone helping would be committing an offence. The law would seem to want you to go early before your time or not at all and rot.

No, dreading it really.

My body is already falling apart and I will probably be destined for some don't care home or other for a lot longer than I would like.

If you did it to a dog you would be arrested.