SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st August 2019, 18:23

Mood
Musical

Default I think I have OCD

Hi guys. Haven't posted here for a while. This has been on my mind for a while and I've never actually told anyone. My mum knows I'm a little anal about things because I live with her and she notices things but I don't think she realises how bad it is.

So yeah - I'm pretty sure I have OCD. I guess it started when my skin reacted really badly to a chemical based household product and I also felt really sick with it. Basically I think it was an allergy. Since then I get recurring symptoms every now and then. I think I'm basically very sensitive to chemicals. It isn't always clear what it is though and every time it happens I get so paranoid about what it could be. I convince myself it's my clothes or certain objects in the house so I end up throwing things away a lot. I get through so many clothes because I'm constantly throwing them away convinced they're "contaminated" with whatever it causing my ailments (skin rashes/upset stomach and sometimes diarrhoea).

And yes I've been to the doctor so many times about these issues (though I never mention the OCD thing) and had tests and they're pretty sure it's some kind of allergy or sensitivity but could be a number of things.

But yeah - it's pretty much made me OCD about things. Touching things. I'm constantly washing my hands (I'd say 20+ times a day) and I don't pick up my phone or my remote controls without tissue being wrapped around them. I'm terrified of spreading germs/chemicals/whatever. It's making daily life a little tough and it's always sort of there on my mind. This idea of things being contaminated.

I don't know if anyone can relate to this but I thought sharing it somewhere could maybe act as a sort of first step to acknowledging that it's not normal behaviour and perhaps doing something about it (though I can't imagine it ever going anyway).
Old 22nd August 2019, 00:46

Default Re: I think I have OCD

Hi Charlie, welcome back

As you suffered from a bad allergic reaction to a chemical based household product, but don't know exactly which one, I think it's completely natural and understandable that you would become overly cautious about touching certain objects and are meticulous about regularly washing your hands.

I think the fact that you have been to the Doctors lots of time and it's been established that you ARE allergic to certain chemicals but you are none the wiser to exactly which ones doesn't help matters at all as you're left guessing if anything you touch could cause a bad reaction. I think anyone would feel the same in these circumstances so personally I wouldn't automatically assume that your reaction is a sign of OCD. However, as I'm not an expert on OCD I don't know. As your fear of touching things has obviously started to interfere more and more with your day to day life I would certainly mention OCD to your GP.

I'm thinking if you had more of an idea about which particular chemicals you are allergic to and so was more able to avoid them (for example changing your washing powder, or whatever) then your anxiety might significantly reduce.

I don't know if your GP has referred you to someone who is more knowledgeable when it comes to detecting specific allergies and how to treat and alleviate them? Also I think you should definitely bring up your concerns about possibly suffering with OCD as it's causing you to worry.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Good luck Charlie
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:53

Hi Charlie,
I can relate to some of this.. I’m allergic to a lot of things (skin allergies) and I avoid touching certain things. I’ve thrown a couple of handbags away because I thought they were contaminated. It might be worth speaking to a doctor about possible OCD as therapy can help. But all the allergies make it more complicated -:/
Old 23rd August 2019, 12:21

Mood
Musical

Thanks for the replies! It's a tough one isn't it because I feel like I have OCD and some of my behaviour feels irrational/over the top but then I do actually have an allergy (or possibly multiple allergies) with symptoms that actually make me feel ill.

I wish I could just sort of wave a magic wand and vanish anything that I'm allergic to.