SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 26th November 2009, 17:05

Mood
Bashful

Default Reflecting on my therapy session today and feeling much happier : )

Hi all Im feeling alot more positive than I did a few days ago after having a horrid time last week. saw my therapist today and thought id share a few key points that i got from the session. probably most of you have heard it but thought id share anyway.

Me and my psych were talking about avoidance and SA....the reason I believe my SA has seemed worse in terms of symptoms of anxiety like panics recently is because I have been doing less avoidance. I became upset last week when I noticed an increase in my anxiety symptoms but Ive come to understand today that in order to tackle SA we need to minimise our avoidance of social situations. when we start doing this our sa symptoms are bound to increase but by not avoiding social situations you are on the right path to sucess. Ive now got to learn how to manage thesehorrible anxiety symptoms so that I do not try to avoid situations. One way my psych said i could do this was to practice focussing on objects in the rooms eg. what colour they are, describing themself to myself in my mind to take my mind off my anxiety. This is my task over the next week...by diverting my attention away from the anxiety symptoms and thoughts in my head and focussing on external objects she said I may begin to learn how to ignore and deal with the nxiety symptoms. This probably doesnt make sense but just wanted to say if you feel like your trying hard not to avoid social situations and get knocked down because of a panic attack or something do worry. your doing the right thing by not avoiding and by facing the situations you dont feel comfortable in (even though it may increase anxiety) you are on the right path to recovery or improvement. hope this maks sense...just thought id put something more positive on here anyhows as ive been negative of late.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:07

Mood
Bashful

Default Re: Reflecting on my therapy session today and feeling much happier : )

Sorry that is poorly written having read it back to myself...going out in a minute so wrote it in a rush. hopefully you'll get the overall message behind it. sorry for poorly written account though.
Old 26th November 2009, 17:18

Mood
Predatory

Thats good to hear

Yeah the lack of avoidance will really help, its amazing when you look back and see how far you have come with certain situations you were avoiding. I can now do things without any anxiety that i used to avoid. It really is true that the more you do them the easier it becomes. Well as long as your thinking doesn't hinder that anyway.

I actually find it very hard to concentrate on an external object, because its boring I suppose and my mind likes to wander. So I just daydream instead. Like when you are on a train or something, try and think of someone you fancy and what your life would be like going out with them etc. Its enjoyable, makes you feel good and takes your mind completely off the other people in that situation. I love doing it
Old 26th November 2009, 17:22

Mood
Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower87
One way my psych said i could do this was to practice focussing on objects in the rooms eg. what colour they are, describing themself to myself in my mind to take my mind off my anxiety.
Glad you are feeling better i'm going to try this method.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:52

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower87
Hi all Im feeling alot more positive than I did a few days ago after having a horrid time last week. saw my therapist today and thought id share a few key points that i got from the session. probably most of you have heard it but thought id share anyway.

Me and my psych were talking about avoidance and SA....the reason I believe my SA has seemed worse in terms of symptoms of anxiety like panics recently is because I have been doing less avoidance. I became upset last week when I noticed an increase in my anxiety symptoms but Ive come to understand today that in order to tackle SA we need to minimise our avoidance of social situations. when we start doing this our sa symptoms are bound to increase but by not avoiding social situations you are on the right path to sucess. Ive now got to learn how to manage thesehorrible anxiety symptoms so that I do not try to avoid situations. One way my psych said i could do this was to practice focussing on objects in the rooms eg. what colour they are, describing themself to myself in my mind to take my mind off my anxiety. This is my task over the next week...by diverting my attention away from the anxiety symptoms and thoughts in my head and focussing on external objects she said I may begin to learn how to ignore and deal with the nxiety symptoms. This probably doesnt make sense but just wanted to say if you feel like your trying hard not to avoid social situations and get knocked down because of a panic attack or something do worry. your doing the right thing by not avoiding and by facing the situations you dont feel comfortable in (even though it may increase anxiety) you are on the right path to recovery or improvement. hope this maks sense...just thought id put something more positive on here anyhows as ive been negative of late.
Beleive it or not you've really made my day with this post. You sounded like you were in such a bad place a few days ago and you've come so far in such a short space of time. You have acheived so much. You must be really proud of yourself

What you say makes perfect sense and I can completely relate. It's so reassuring to hear that the CBT is helping you - it kinda gives me hope myself
Old 26th November 2009, 19:18

Mood
Happy

A great thread - well done. I like the concept of not being able to think of two different things at the same time.
For the third time I'm going on a coach holiday by myself and have been given a seat next to a total stranger. Your thread and the responses have given me ideas on how to try and cope with this well rather than struggle ! Thank you and very best wishes. Peter
Old 26th November 2009, 20:51

Mood
Dramaqueen

I'm so happy that you are feeling better too!
Closed Thread