SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 22nd April 2011, 19:04

Default Leading Light?

I have asked this question, about a week ago, so I'm sorry to bore you with it again, but does anyone know if this group exist?

One person was good enough to answer my question, but did not have direct knowledge.

It is called 'Leading Light' and is based at 356 Holloway Rd, London. It claims to be by, and for, people with social anxiety.

I went to London (about 50 miles away), and even stayed in a cheap hotel, to get there. But the address given on their website seems to be a shop.
Can anyone tell me if it has, possibly, moved?
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:09
Banned

Default Re: Leading Light?

Sounds like the same group.
Where you from?
http://www.meetup.com/leadinglight/
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:31

Mood
Musical

It does exist, I'm friends with Steve on Facebook. His name is Steve Light

Website
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:36

Mood
Creative

Ca-ching!
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:51

Mood
Dreaming

I joined the group a while back but have not been to a meet up, was thinking of going this Tuesday to check it out, the guy who runs it has not put on the website it has changed so I assume it is at the same address, apparentley a fair few people go to it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 19:55

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Ca-ching!
It's a shame some people always suspect others of just making a quick buck with these type of self help events. Nothing comes for free you know, even this forum costs money to run... plus people have to earn a living. I know Steve in person as he used to attend the Bristol SA group a few years ago due to his own SA problems. I remember a few years ago on here a friend of mine organised "the freedom to shine" event and a few regulars (still remember the names) instantly lambasted her with "scam" and "making money out of SA" type comments, grrr.... seriously pisses me off.

Anyway, hope you can find what you are looking for Stef.
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:03
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx
It's a shame some people always suspect others of just making a quick buck with these type of self help events. Nothing comes for free you know, even this forum costs money to run... plus people have to earn a living. I know Steve in person as he used to attend the Bristol SA group a few years ago due to his own SA problems. I remember a few years ago on here a friend of mine organised "the freedom to shine" event and a few regulars (still remember the names) instantly lambasted her with "scam" and "making money out of SA" type comments, grrr.... seriously pisses me off.

edit: when someones first post was something along the lines of come to my thing pay me money and i'll fix you it kind of brings out the cynic in me dunno why
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:06

His facebook if you directly want to contact him: http://www.facebook.com/#!/breadandbuddha
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:12

Mood
Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx

I speak from experience bud, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. What started as help can turn into money making. Last time I seen him on this forum, he got hounded off here.

I thought bread and buddha were selling web design now
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:12

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFG

edit: when someones first post was something along the lines of come to my thing pay me money and i'll fix you it kind of brings out the cynic in me dunno why
No worries. Sometimes I feel the same about self help websites I come across, I think it's another "SA type trait" to be cynical about "give me money" and I will help you messages?
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:19

Mood
Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***1103;emus
I speak from experience bud, the path to hell is paved with good intentions. What started as help can turn into money making. Last time I seen him on this forum, he got hounded off here.

I thought bread and buddha were selling web design now
Bread and buddha is not related to leading light in any way other than it's run by Steve. It's his side project doing web development pages/websites.
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:30

Mood
Creative

Yeah I remember it well: £800 for the cure

http://www.social-anxiety-community....t=39588&page=3 (last post page 3)

Baaa!

People here can recommend it, I'm just giving my opinion to save yourself money
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:36
Banned

7 quid for the workshop seems a bit expensive for the LL workshop. Although its for room rental which i understand is a valid reason but also states it's for 'admin' also
The Birmingham group charge only 50p but that is for the running of the site which they get charged for. Not suggesting any sly intention by the organisor just wandered why the charge is quite expensive compared to similar groups on that website.
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:39

Mood
Mellow

OK, point taken Remus (did he specify £800 for a cure?), I wouldn't of paid those asking fees myself but I detect deja vu... when the OP was merely asking for information about a social meet up.

I agree, originally he was being over zealous in his asking prices... big foo*ing time. Hopefully now he has learnt from his mistakes and can still provide knowledge and inspiration on how to battle SA.
Old 23rd April 2011, 08:42

Thank you to Johnni, Fern and 2thoughtful, it does seem it is genuine.
I will try again and give myself more time to find the place.
Old 23rd April 2011, 19:35

I keep getting bombarded by their emails on a daily basis now that I signed up to that meetup website. I thought the course/ groups they do sounded good but didn't realise they were in London... wish there was something equivalent in the north.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:08

Mood
Bored

I went to my first leading light workshop last week. I had the same experience as you, finding myself at an ominous looking set of stairs. i was really annoyed but I suspected this was obviously my poor navigation skills and after asking a shopkeeper i was redirected to the building next to Waitrose on the corner. Hope that helps.
Closed Thread