Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th January 2007, 16:56

Mood
Sleepy

Default Pinning Good threads idea.

Hey i was just thinking last night that it would be nice if some of the better threads with good advice and description could be pinned up the top or maybe you could have a room specially for a selection of really good threads. It is just an idea and it saves hunting through all the threads.

It would mainly be for new comers who are after a quick bit of information about sa. People experiences, symptoms etc.

I hope i have explained this well.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:27
Shallah

Default Re: Pinning Good threads idea.

You have explained it very Freespirit

I'm sure Anne will get back to you on what she thinks about the idea.
Old 18th January 2007, 17:53

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Godfather: Part II
People get jealous very easily here, and so the makers of pinned threads could be subjected to abuse from wankers.
That wouldn't really happen would it?
Old 18th January 2007, 18:07
CaughtByTheFuzz

Well, that last post won't do much to help newcomers, which was the point of Freespirit's thread.
Old 18th January 2007, 20:33
Banned (by own request)

I think it's a good idea. Infact I've suggested that people's threads should be pinned before, there was some good ones with SA advice, particuarly useful for newcomers. Never happened though.

The room's a better idea, any threads wasting away then they can get moved into the funky new useful thread room. If anyone complains they haven't got anything in there, then they'll just have to pull their fingers out of their behinds and write down something of worth.

Seriously, so much good stuff goes to waste in here, never to be seen again. Look at some of the stuff innerspace has written. Threads by people like Nicabcuk (all gone now, sadly), even the likes of Jack and Kev have probably written some useful stuff, believe it or not. All defunct.

You can't really say that people are going to get their knickers in a twist about this making it not a good idea. Let's be honest, if you're going to get your knickers in a twist about it you need to toughen up a bit. That's support!

Or, you could get yourself along to SAS where they're now hosting articles submitted by members...
Old 18th January 2007, 20:49
Banned (by own request)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Godfather: Part II
It is a good idea, and I'm not against it at all. I was just mentioning the possible downside. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done. If people get bitchy about it, then **** 'um.

Pinned threads can take over an entire first page, so that members that aren't use to forums (looking at page 2) may never even get to read it, and it could be gold dust of advice. So if this goes ahead, I suggest inactive pinned threads with views that aren't increasing much should be unpinned to keep a fresh cycle going, and to reduce what I said above.
Get ya gegs back on Goddy. We've already voted for an entire room for these threads

And don't worry good idea/bad idea, I was merely mentioning for the eyes of any 'objectors' who come in with their darned negative attitudes.
Old 18th January 2007, 21:02
Founder

Pinned threads would get messy, but a separate archived room did work on the old board. The problem was the time needed to sort through old threads and move them to the archive. I did it myself for a long time, but no longer have the time. Maybe we can think of a way for everyone to help sort through the old threads and get them moved to a common FAQ type subforum. My feeling though is that it should be an archive (no new posts) as regulars won't check it very often.
Anne
Old 18th January 2007, 21:11
Banned (by own request)

I think sorting through the olds threads would be near impossible by now. But I do feel a new room would be worthy of some good articles, not just bits and bobs of random advice, but some good decent stuff that is worth having a new room for. There's people capable of writing, you don't need to have posting permissionss, but any decent thread that pops up you just move it into there. And people will check it if it's worth checking out. May not be a regular thing for most people, but when they come across that moment of inspiration when they want to do something about their SA, there it is, the golden advice....
Closed Thread