Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 29th April 2007, 23:52

Default Talking to your GP

[sorry -- deleted by author due to absence of alcohol]
Old 30th April 2007, 00:01

Mood
Pensive

Default Re: Talking to your GP

Personally I think I find it easier than when I was younger because I'm slightly more confident with people in authority but I have never actually approached a GP about my mental health problems. I only was able to talk about my depression in the last couple of years because he asked me if I was depressed when I went about a physical problem and this opened the door to talking about other things which I would have found difficult to talk about without the prompt.
Old 30th April 2007, 00:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie57
Personally I think I find it easier than when I was younger because I'm slightly more confident with people in authority
That is the same for me to, also i am a lot more knowledgeable about mental illnesses now and fully understand they are nothing to be ashamed of , have no time limit and can strike or surface at any time.

After all many people manage to bury things in their 20's and are only strong enough to start facing or fully admitting in later years.
Old 2nd May 2007, 09:16

GP = general prick

I reminded the twat who pays his OVERLY excessive wages !
Old 19th June 2007, 18:18

Mood
Sad

I've never mentioned SA to my GP, too ashamed to. I know that I should'nt be. I could not do it when I was younger because of shame, and find it even harder to do now.

I did see him about depression a few years ago and that was extremely difficult because of, guess what, the shame. But I was ready to buy a one way ticket to beachy head at that time so I got to the point where I had no choice.
Old 23rd June 2007, 19:04
Troy

I've got a telepathic doc. Never tell him anything, get the feeling he knows me better than most people. He's always a good laugh, always makes time for me, and is about the only doctor I would really trust.
So I avoid him like the plague
Old 24th June 2007, 14:25

I've come across a couple of older GPs who were incredibly uncomfortable talking about depression etc; i suppose they grew up in a time where you just didn't talk about things like that.
Old 25th June 2007, 13:04

I'm about to change GP's. My present one treats me like a fool so I feel like a fool and leave. He's no bedside manner nor shows any interest in what I might have to say - give me a woman doctor anyday.
Closed Thread