SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 8th October 2007, 23:09

Default Cipralex side effects - I'm going crazy!

I've been on the little horrors for 12 days now and feel like utter shit - knackered, fuzzy headed, no appetite and still have a sense of dread about everything. I've researched the threads here on this subject and from what most people say, it seems you go through a bit of a rough ride of it initially before the side effects lessen and the positive effects kick in. So I'm sitting here desperately hoping this will be the case with me. But it's soooo damned frustrating!!!!

The worst thing is, I think I could handle it if I didn't have to work, as going in in this state is not good at all. It's a VERY social environment - lots of joking and banter...great if you're feeling positive, not so great if you feel like death warmed up physically, mentally and emotionally. But on the other hand, I'm stubborn and have always been determined that unless I feel absolute shite I won't let these problems get in the way of me working. Otherwise I would have been tempted to phone in sick much more than would have been acceptable.

ARGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! Why can't I just be "normal" (ha ha, that old chestnut!) NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Mmmm...is there a point to all this? No, I don't think there is. I am absolutely incoherent but need to write this down and get it out. To make matters even worse, there is someone at work who I have a bit of a "thing" for and seeing him is just adding to the stress.

Love and peace to everyone suffering from this horrid horrid affliction. xx
Old 9th October 2007, 22:35

Default Re: Cipralex side effects - I'm going crazy!

I can certainly sympathise.

When I went on Cipralex I felt just as you describe. It took around 3 weeks to ease up and by week 6 I felt really good.
I'd been signed off work at that stage, but recall thinking I could not have managed if I was starting out on the meds whilst still working.

Hopefully, if you can manage to ride it out for a bit longer the side-effects will ease. I know a guy who has just started on them a week ago and is going through just the same side-effects as you are having.

I hope you are feeling better, and far more relaxed very soon.
Old 9th October 2007, 23:04

Thanks Innervision,

Funny that you should post a reply, as trawling through the posts on here re. the subject, it was your posts that gave me the most hope that these experiences are normal and that it's worth sticking it out!

After a very frustrating day, I couldn't sleep and spent most of the night wide awake. Strangely though, going into work today for the 7am shift, I felt ok - not sleep deprived, not half as anxious and the knackered, fuzzy-headedness had seemed to fade away. I hope this is the start of things to come!

Only thing is, now I can feel any feeling in my "nether" regions also fading away.....sorry to be crude, but it's not nice!! I'm hoping this too will be a side effect that lessens in time. I'm on the standard 10mg dose of Cipralex and when I was first put on the standard 20mg dose of Prozac (back in 1995!!), it didn't effect that side of things at all.

IT's a roller coaster meds ride!! With Innervision at the front and me at the back with head in hands!!
Old 9th October 2007, 23:17

i never had bad side effects from cipralex but did from seroaxt, suffered just about every thing going on the list with them little fellas, only lasted a week or so but i spose everyone is different. i came off them eventually but soon realised i needed anti dep again ( for sa reasons) but was working by this time and couldnt deal with the side effects, so doctor prescribed cipralex cause the side effects were less!! i feel for you, hope they subside, but if they go on much longer go back to the doc, maybe they're not right for you.. good luck x
Old 9th October 2007, 23:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Thanks Innervision,

Funny that you should post a reply, as trawling through the posts on here re. the subject, it was your posts that gave me the most hope that these experiences are normal and that it's worth sticking it out!

After a very frustrating day, I couldn't sleep and spent most of the night wide awake. Strangely though, going into work today for the 7am shift, I felt ok - not sleep deprived, not half as anxious and the knackered, fuzzy-headedness had seemed to fade away. I hope this is the start of things to come!

Only thing is, now I can feel any feeling in my "nether" regions also fading away.....sorry to be crude, but it's not nice!! I'm hoping this too will be a side effect that lessens in time. I'm on the standard 10mg dose of Cipralex and when I was first put on the standard 20mg dose of Prozac (back in 1995!!), it didn't effect that side of things at all.

IT's a roller coaster meds ride!! With Innervision at the front and me at the back with head in hands!!
Yep, it can be something of a rollercoaster.
They can affect different people in different ways, as Neski's post highlights, but you seem to be sharing my experience.

I wonder what time you take the meds?
I only ask because I take mine in the morning, but I've heard lots of people state that by taking them last thing at night they sleep through the worst of the side-effects. I never tried this, but it has helped in some cases.

I had a lot of exceptionally vivid dreaming, so maybe this would have been more noticable if I took them at night, but who knows?

Sorry to hear of the demise of feeling in the nether regions.
This happened to me too. It did recover after a while, but not to the same level as I was used to. With me it tends to be directly linked to dosage. I've been on 10mg, 15mg, 20mg which is the standard maximum dose on Cipralex, and even as low as 5mg. I've noticed the the higher the dosage, the bigger hit my libido takes. These meds help me though, so I have to balance the pros and cons.

Hopefully your libido will recover once your body gets used to the meds.

Anyway, strap yourself in and hopefully the ride won't be too bumpy.
Old 10th October 2007, 14:56

Thank you for the replies Neski and Inner,

Neski - hope the Cipralex is helping more than the Seroxat did! These side effects really are horrible.

Inner - It's good to know I'm not alone in all this! As for when I take the pills, I take them in the morning (or afternoon, depending when I get up!!)..this is a habit I've got into ever since starting on the anti-depressant route in 1995, so I'm used to the routine now.

Continuing from yesterday, I actually feel fine today, so fingers crossed the worst is over. I'm on my 14th day, so I'm hoping my body is beginning to adjust to it all now. Still worried about the whole libido thing...really really worried...but at the same time, I really think I'm one of these people that needs that extra seratonin to keep them functional, so it's something I'm going to have to deal with I suppose . I'm only on the standard dose of 10mg, so fingers crossed things will get back to normal soon.

Thanks again for responding you two. xx
Old 16th October 2007, 13:46

Holly,

Just wondering, how you are getting on with the 'cipralex', I'm considering medication to help me a bit more, and have seen these helping with problems like muscular tension.

I did not know if making a new topic, would be justifiable so added to your post . I was considering asking about 'cipralex' or 'prozac'.

I have tried citalopram twice with a bad response, and wondered if 'cipralex', would be the same, they seem to work for everyone else?.

Thanks any way. .
Old 16th October 2007, 16:25

Hi Peaceseeker,

In response to your post, I'm actually feeling a lot better now. I tend to go through phases of being particulary anxious, followed by periods of relative calm anyway, but at the moment I definitely do feel much less anxious. In fact, I don't feel unnessarily or illogically anxious at all!

I arrived at the wrong venue for a meeting today and rather than get myself all worked up, I simply got the correct address and arrived only ten minutes late..with a minimum of worry. Instead of the usual thoughts ie. "you're such an idiot" "oh my God, how am I going to live this one down" "I'm crap at my job" etc etc, I found myself thinking "So what, it's a silly mistake, I don't even have to go into detail, just say I found the place hard to find like any other person would." And it was fine. If anything though, it's a little disconcerting being so calm in such situations as it's not like me at all!!!

Also the unbearable side effects - fuzzy head, exhaustion and headache have subsided. The only side effect left is difficulty in sleeping and as said before, a distinct absence of feeling "down below".:embarass:

You mention Prozac in your post. When I was first put on this at age 18 after a severe depressive episide, it really really helped me out. I felt myself become stronger and also felt a lot of anger which I explain as all the negativity I'd felt towards myself being directed out in a far more healthy way. I'd sit alone in my room for periods of time with Radiohead on a loud volume and chain smoke till I felt all the anger leave me and I could be around people again. Don't know whether this was just a natural part of me getting better, or whether the Prozac directed my getting better in this way - all I know is, I did get better fast.

Problem is, a few years down the line and I think it sort of "pooped out" and stopped working.

I just wanted to give Cipralex a go as the fact it seems to be engineered more towards social anxiety / panic made me feel it might be more suited to me. Anyway, here's hoping.

Hope you find what you're looking for Peaceseeker.
Old 16th October 2007, 16:42

Forgot to add one last side effect that's not budging - lack of appetite!! I had two eggs and a slice of toast at 8 this morning...it's now 4.40pm, I've not eaten anything since and really can't be bothered to. The weight is dropping off and people are noticing! It's really not good to eat so little, but it's a major effort to summon the enthusiasm to prepare something I have no enthusiasm eating.
Old 16th October 2007, 16:48

Thanks so much Holly!,

I'm so glad you're feeling better over all. I don't know, I'm so indecisive, obviously I want to be well again, so don't want to make a wrong choice in medication. , I think I will try cipralex, though.

I'm a bit worried about the sleeping part, I tried citalopram before, and did get to sleep as usual (which is bad at best of times!), but would wake about 3 and a half hours later, wide awake!, then 2-3 hours after that felt really exhausted and tired again!. Then started going a bit loopy after that! .

The absent feeling 'down there', is also a concern but I've been single all my life so, it won't be missed .

Again, thank you so much for your reply, and do hope you continue to get better and better! .
Old 16th October 2007, 16:59

Good luck with it Peaceseeker - I really hope Cipralex works for you. With me, I really do think I need this extra serotonin in my brain to keep me afloat. I've gone through years of counselling / CBT etc - all thought provoking and useful in parts, but making no real difference to the way I felt about myself and my life. When meds do their "thing" with me, I can really feel a difference and those negative thoughts / beliefs you are supposed to learn to replace with more realistic ones in CBT and the like are more easily dispelled as I actually believe in the alternative. I think with CBT etc..I understood the theory etc behind it, but try as I might, I just couldn't FEEL or BELIEVE any of it...

Anyway, going off subject here...all the best and do post to let me know how you're getting on. xx
Old 16th October 2007, 17:02

Also Peaceseeker, just wanted to mention my post re "lack of emotion" under a thread about Citalopram on here. I do feel this way today ie. worried about not caring etc...but would still take that over crippling anxiety! And anyway, it's early days so I'll still have to wait and see how things pan out.

Just didn't want you to think I was being all positive here, then to find a slightly negative post elsewhere and for me to give the impression I'm contradicting myself!
Old 16th October 2007, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Also Peaceseeker, just wanted to mention my post re "lack of emotion" under a thread about Citalopram on here. I do feel this way today ie. worried about not caring etc...but would still take that over crippling anxiety! And anyway, it's early days so I'll still have to wait and see how things pan out.

Just didn't want you to think I was being all positive here, then to find a slightly negative post elsewhere and for me to give the impression I'm contradicting myself!
Don't worry, thanks for the information in advance though! .

I checked out that, post, do you think that anxiety 'powers' some of our everyday emotions?, could it have calmed you down so much, and as you are used to the anxiety, it feels strange at first, and you just need to get used to your new calm, self! .

And thanks again, been a real help!.
Old 16th October 2007, 18:16

Yes, this could be right! Anyway, I shouldn't base everything on a feeling lasting only a few days..got to just go with it and see what happens. Take care.
Old 16th October 2007, 20:57

Mood
Nerdy

I,ve been on ciprlex for about 8 months now and feel they are helping me a lot.

Started a course on computing this week and probably if i wasnt on them i would have been 'high as a kite'

Cant remember any side affects but maybe thats because whne on seroxat there was a few eg , sweating, weight gain,no feeling down below etc

i would recomend cipralex to anyone
Old 17th October 2007, 00:22

I was on Cipralex a couple of years back, and it gave me hardly any side effects at all, especially compared to Paroxetine. Maybe it was due to being more careful in increasing the doseage at first and tapering it down when I came off it. The guidance leaflet given in the box recommends too radical changes in dosage in my opinion, I think I added some intermediate steps. I have to say, I didn't feel much direct benefit for my SA from the Cipralex, but it did help with my depression at the time, which I guess can have a knock-on effect on SA for some people.
Old 18th October 2007, 21:32

Hi everyone,

Here I am back again - with no horrible side effects such as exhaustion, headache and inability to focus...also feel quite a bit calmer and not like my heart is going to jump out of my chest at any moment. But I'm now getting myself all worked up about something I've mentioned a million times before, and the obsessive in me can't help but repeat myself.

I'm only on week 3 of Cipralex and I'm on the standard dose (10mg) but my libido is non-existant. I'm obsessing about this TO THE POINT WHERE I'M WONDERING IF I SHOULD HAVE EVER DECIDED TO TAKE THESE DAMNED MEDS IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I know I couldn't handle things before and I also know I need the boost meds give me (talking therapies did ZILCH) but I HATE this feeling of no libido. I know lots of people here say "I'm single, so it doesn't matter"...but to me, it does...how am I ever going to get with anyone when I'm like this?

Sorry to go on but I CANNOT get this out of my head, I'm thinking about it constantly. I suppose I just want to know if there's a chance things may improve once my body gets used to the meds?? I can handle a LOSS of libido to a ceratin extent, but NONE??!! Surely things shouldn't be this dead on just the standard dose? When I was initially on the standard dose of Prozac, this didn't happen - it was only when the dose was increased that my libido suffered. My friend is on this and she's had no problems at all.

I don't know which is worse - the actual loss of libido or the constant obsessing about it.

I'm just so sick of there always being something for my brain to ruminate over and worry about!!!!!!!
Old 18th October 2007, 21:39

By the way, sorry Fourstar and Rayman for being so rude in not acknowledging your posts - this is what obsessing does to me - it's not a nice trait!!!

Rayman - I'm glad these meds are helping you. I'm not going to give them up yet as I do believe they are capable of doing a lot of good - just can't help worrying.

Fourstar - thanks for your input and good to know that you didn't suffer from side effects. Interesting what you say about them helping your depression but not SA....saying that though, maybe one could have a knock on effect on the other. Ie. with me, if I've had an anxious period, this can sometimes lead to feelings of depression, which in turn highten the anxiety I feel when I'm "out there" again as I feel so bad about myself. But everyone's different.
Old 18th October 2007, 23:58

Hi Holly,

I recall it taking longer than three weeks for my libido to recover after starting Cipralex. It never got back to what it was before, but I can still function ok.

Of course your libido matters whether you are single or not. If it matters to you ... it matters.

At least if you do not have a current partner pressurising you it will possibly be a little easier to give it time to see how it pans out. Your libido may well recover, but if not maybe you could try other meds that may not affect you in this way quite so much.

It's good to hear that many of the side-effects you experienced have now faded. The loss of libido may well fade too. I certainly hope so.
Old 19th October 2007, 00:23

Thank you Inner,

As ever, a concise and realistic yet hopeful post. I will see how things go and give it more time..my problem is I'm extremely impatient (and a tad obsessive!!)

Thanks again. xx
Old 19th October 2007, 08:27

Mood
Crappy

Hi Holly - is your appetite still gone?? I SURE hope I get that side effect with them!!! :D I really do!
Old 19th October 2007, 16:51

Hi Iris,

Yeah, appetite still way down!! I get hungry, but have no desire to eat and when I do eat, I don't enjoy it! mmmm, no appetite for food, sex...I'm not impressed, but can see that if you WANT to lose weight, it'd be a bonus! As it is, I'd prefer weight loss to weight gain. And I do make myself eat despite not really wanting to.

I take it you're yet to start these meds Iris? If so, good luck with it and keep me posted...would be interested to know how you get on.
Old 19th October 2007, 16:59

The side effects seem similar to citalopram (I know they are basically the same now ), on citalopram I lost my appetite and just felt overall 'can't be bothered', which I hated, because I do want to do things thats why I took the medication!. .

These meds seem to calm everything down, and some probably find this helpful.

Hope you feel better soon.
Old 13th March 2008, 02:53

Hi every body, i thought it would be helpfull to share my experience as i dont want any one to go through it, For me i just had mild anxiety from studying and some other problems ,i am a dentist bytheway ,Relative psychiatric prescribed me CIPRALEX , he told me its just smooth and no side effects to worry about,i took it for two weeks, i swear i never felt that horrible my whole life i felt totally numb all thetime, gained 4 kilos while i werent almost eating a shit,i had a complete lack of any kind of sexual activity,i was about to break up with my girl friend who's the love of my life,and i tried to reassure myself that things are gonna be better its worth it as i dont wanna feel anxious anymore, not to mention that my anexiety was doubled atleast,i dont eat, i sleep for like 14 hours and i wake up and still feelin tired ,and when i started to feel better i felt totally detached,till the day i tried to have sex when i knew that i am totally impotent,which never happened to me before,i felt like crazy,i ****in threw the rest of the medication , i started thinking about it, oh now i know why they call it an anti depressent ....cause when u quit takin this <censored> up tablets u can really feel good again, and can appreciate ur previous life before takin them. now i ve got my sex life again feelin happier than ever really appreciating my life now...starting a diet to lose these 4 kilos..,, i would really advice any one,dont take these pills unless ur dyin without them!!
Old 17th March 2008, 22:49

Angry Re: Cipralex side effects - I'm going crazy!

hey, day 4 here.. this pill better kick in soon, it's taking so much out of me to keep it together.

i am dealing with every single side effect that these bloody pills offer.. grrr.

nausea,constant headache, throbbing joints and muscles, vertigo, confusion, heart racing, chest tightness, random moments of extreme fear, shakeiness,random twitching of my muscles, diarrea,stomach never settled, no appetite, random heat flashes up the back of neck/pins and needles,.. oh and waking up to a panic attack every morning. i always feel like i want to call an ambulance.

I'm waiting to see the positive results on this.. i suffer from extreme panic and anxiety attacks so this medication is making this worse..

is this normal to have every bloody side effect thats on the box?
Old 7th April 2008, 10:41

Mood
Devilish

Hi, not posted for a good while.
Dr has changed me from 40mg Citalopram to 20mg Cipralex.
As it's a change from another drug, will I still get the side effects at the beginning of taking a new drug?
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:44

Hello guys, First of all i would like to ask Holy how he is feeling now? if he still active in the forum. It has been around 6 months that we got last reply from him. My doctor recommended me Cipralex 10mg after lunch only. First four days he asked me to have half tablet. It felt bad, loss of appettite, confusion, laziness but all things were under control. Just want to inform that i have been going to gym from last 4 months and doing aerobic exercieses for 30 to 40 minutes and doing some strecth exercises and workout for 1 hour (4 to 5 times a week). Exercise really helped to relax the muscles specially near the neck and shoulders. On 5th day i did take 10mg as doctor recommended i felt really bad could not sleep well at all and because of work reason i could not go to gym as well and next three days i felt bad but after all side effects gone. The problem now i am having is i do not feel any difference after taking the tablet i m continuesly feeling anxiety and shoulder-neck tension. My doctor asked me to see him after 1month again. Let see but just want to inform you i do not feel to have sex and have some problem of delay eraction. I do not know if these things will go away or will remain until i take cipralex. I want to be ralex but i do not know how....
Old 24th June 2008, 01:52

Hi Everyone,

I was on Cipralex 10mg for 6 weeks and wasn't showing significant enough improvement (am suffering from severe depression) so they now have upped my dose to 20mg. I have been on the 20mg dose for 4 days now and feeling completely out of it, fuzzy headed, unable to do much, tired all the time, no appetite, serious nauseau, and a serious case of the sh*ts !!! I just do not feel good at all. It wasn't like this when I was on 10mg. When will it get better? And when? Anyone out there have a clue?

Thx
Old 24th June 2008, 02:21

I was on cipralex for three weeks last year. Almost instantly I developed hypomania and a more extreme form of -already problematic- insomnia. I slept maybe an hour or two every day, and was pretty much hyperactive and antagonistic the entire duration of my waking hours.

One of the weirdest side-effect I developed was an uncontrollable smile reflex. I smiled at everyone. People in my class were smiling at me for the first time, and I couldn't understand why, until I realised what was happening: I was literally smiling against my own will.

Unfortunately for me, the smiley, happy-clappy apearance didn't come with mood-improvement. In fact I felt worse than ever, resenting the suddent contrast of my outward appearance and internal mood. Plus, I looked like shit while I was taking them; paler than ever, sickly.

I was only on them for three weeks, they say you should wait longer, but I could tell they were not right for me and I wasn't going to allow myself to get so drastically worse by continuing with them. There will be something more suitable for you, if they don't work out. Personally, I'd suggest a med switch, Holly, but I ain't gots no newfangled doctorate...

EDIT: THIS IS AN OLD POST - WHY BUMP OLD POSTS! Damn, probably irrelevant then. Well, since Nile is the only recent activity here, I'll suggest the med switch to you instead of Holly. Six weeks is plenty long to wait, in my book. (I'd recommend sertraline.)
Old 24th June 2008, 19:58

Mood
Lurking

ah ive been on cipralex too, i didnt suffer the side effects as badly as you are ..hope you're ok..

well if its been 12 days its still workin in your system, which means its working from what my doc said, your body is just adjusting to it..the side effects should die off...if they get any worse though id go back to the doc and maybe change them?

i had to change mine bout 5 times b4 i settled on sertraline..
Closed Thread