Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > SAUK Community > Club 30-81
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 15th April 2014, 02:17

Mood
Alienated

Default BEER, ALE, LAGER ect.

As suggested in the we need to talk more thread.

Well i like a good beer but being a little arorophobic these days i dont get to the pub anymore. So i started to buy beer online to try at home and i'm loving it, i have found so many unusual beers to try that i would have never found in a pub. Here are a few i would recommend tho they might not all be to everyones taste as they vary from white beer through to black beer.

Fraoch Heather Ale (scotland) - A light amber ale with a floral, peaty aroma, full malt character, a spicy herbal flavour and dry wine like finish
Kelpie Seaweed Ale (scotland) - Including bladderwrack seaweed in the mash tun along with organic barley gives this wholesome dark ale a distinctive flavour. A rich chocolate ale with an aroma of sea breeze, a distinctive roast flavour and a crisp salty finish.
Theakstons Masham Glory (england) - A smooth creamy english ale
Wells Banana Bread Beer (england) - Tropically fruity; its ripe banana flavour, emphasised by a hint of bitterness, comes from the addition of real fair trade bananas and finishes with an emphatic, steely dryness.
Mongozo Mango Beer (belgium) - Mongozo Mango is the sweet, refreshing flavour of fresh mangos. It is a fruity beer with a refreshingly fruity flavour.
Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer (scotland) - Innis & Gunn Original typifies this approach.Its lengthy 77-day maturation imparts flavours of toffee, vanilla and oak that perfectly complements the beer's backbone of luscious malt and fruity hop notes.The oak helps to give Innis & Gunn Original its appealing colour and also mellow the alcohol character, so although the beer is 6.6%, it's very smooth and easy to drink.
Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Beer (scotland) - Maturation in special oak barrels imparts Navy rums with the sweet, spicy character for which they are renowned.
Badger Golden Glory (england) - Badger Golden Glory is an award winning premium ale, well balanced with distinctive bitterness and a delicate floral peach and melon aroma.
Liefmans Fruitesse (belgium) - A fruity belguim white beer
Fruli Strawberry Beer (belgium) - Fruli is a high quality Belgian white beer blended with pure fruit juice. The strawberry juice compliments the zesty fruitiness of the wheat beer and the result is a natural, soft and refreshing drink that is simply delicious!
Alba Scots Pine Ale (scotland) - Alba is a triple style ale brewed to a traditional Highland recipe from Scots pine and spruce shoots pickled during early spring.Pure malted barley, is boiled with the young sprigs of pine for several hours then the fresh shoots of the spruce are added for a short infusion before fermentation. A tawny brown strong ale with spruce aroma, rich malt texture, complex wood flavour and lingering finish.
Old 15th April 2014, 16:50

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: BEER, ALE, LAGER ect.

I get them online from beersofeurope. They have a fantastic range (inc cider) and great service. I am really into the belgium fruit beers at the mo but other wise scotland are doing some great beers to, have edited original post to show where the beers are from .
Old 15th April 2014, 17:23

Mood
Alienated

You can get just about every friut you can think off, strawberry, raspberry, cherry, peach. mango, passionfruit, apple, coconut you name it.
The FLORIS & MONGOZO brands are nice in the belguim beers but always check the bottle size, most are only 330ml not a pint, some are only 250ml.
Some english brewers have started to do fruit beers now, i have 2 samuel smiths (cherry & apricot) but have not tried them yet to compair them with the belgium beers.
Some of the scotish beers are also only 330ml but most of the english are the full 500ml pint
Old 15th April 2014, 17:45

Mood
Alienated

Stared just over a year ago when my sister brought back a Mongozo Mango Beer she found when she visited the eden project (i know strange thing to sell in their gift shop ).
The seaweed beer is a black beer like a stout (guiness, murphy ect) but not quite as rich or heavy and with a slight undercut of salt.
The worst one i've tried, tho i got it for a laugh to share with my sister & family, was a mexican chilli beer. It had a green chilli in the bottle and you needed a drink to cool your mouth down from the drink
Old 15th April 2014, 17:53

Mood
Alienated

No no would deffo recomend not eating the chilli, the beer was enough
Old 15th April 2014, 18:00

Mood
Alienated

This is a little sad but i keep a record on all the beers (which includes large) and how much i liked them. However it does mean i can look back at the brand for that chilli beer - Cave Creek Chili Beer.
The best larger style beer i've tried, well there are two but they are very simular as are both Tequila based and are available in most places in the uk now, DESPERADOS & AMIGOS both tesco & co-op sell these.
Old 15th April 2014, 18:16

Mood
Alienated

Yes i hate to big up tesco but they do have a very good range of ales, infact i have used them as well as beers of europe esp when they do the 3 for £6 offer, they also rotate and change their lines quite well. Infact i wanted to try Timmermans Peche from them but they ran out of stock before i got around to it and have not had it back since.

P.s. Great idea to try and get 30-81 more active, i've never spent this long in here before
Old 15th April 2014, 18:46

Mood
Alienated

Talking of alcopop's the company who gave us the original Hooch do a couple of nice drinks.
Hoopers Strawberry & Elderflower Brew & Hoopers Dandelion And Burdock both are 4.0 abv and you can get them at tesco
Old 15th April 2014, 19:55

Mood
Breezy

Just tried Marks and Spencer 'Orange and Coriander Belgian Beer' clearly a ripoff of Hoegaarden but I was suprised to find it was even nicer! More orangey, more coriander but not as heavy. Great summer beer.
Old 16th April 2014, 04:33

Mood
Alienated

^ sounds nice might have to try that one
Old 26th April 2014, 02:47

Mood
Alienated

^ Yes i've tried the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, it was ok but then a stout is not my favourate style of beer either. If you enjoyed the Fruli you should like the Liefmans Fruitesse to but i would not recomend the Melvilles Strawberry Fruit beer which is a british attempt at a fruit beer. I found it rather like adding some strawberry fruit juice to a newcastle brown ale
Old 4th May 2014, 01:28

Mood
Alienated

Just tried the Hop Back Taiphoon Lemon Grass Beer, it's a crisp, refreshing pale ale which is ideal for summer. A word of warning though, they add a little yeast before filling and sealing the beer so open and pour with care unless you like drinking sediment.
Said warning is printed at the bottom of the lable on the back of the bottle under the description and ingredients. Now i tend not to read that the beer has been made in blah blah since 18 blah blah nor that on the nose it smells of elderflower, cinnamon, brut 33 & old spice, i just read what it is supposed to taste like. So i did not see this warning before i took the bottle for the 5 minute walk to my sisters to have with tea.
Picture if you will the formula 1 winners rostrum upon opening the champagne and you will get an idea of what it was like when i opened the bottle, needless to say when i finally got some into my glass the sediment was pretty well mixed up.
Old 8th June 2014, 17:01

Mood
Alienated

Update on a few new beers i have tried (turning into a bit more of a blog than a thread but hay ho )

Belhaven Fruit Beer (Scotland) - The nearest fruit has come to this beer is the apple in one of the workers lunch boxes. No aroma nor taste of fruit i might have well have been drinking a BASS.
Burton Bridge Bramble Stout (England) - Slight undertones of blackberry, very bitter and not quite as creamy as a usual stout.
Growler Brewery Lemon Head (England) - This is described as bitter with added lemon and ginger, but i got no ginger from the taste or aroma. Think old style top deck bitter shandy but not as sweet and you will get the idea of how this tastes. The beer is a bright gold in colour and a nice summer pint.
St Austell Clouded Yellow (England) - Very interesting beer and hard to describe, very light yellow and cloudy as its name suggests. With added vanilla, coriander and clove i can liken it to no other beer i have had but i would have it again.
Redds Apple (Poland) - More a lager style beer, not much beer flavour so if you like apple you should like this. Would make a great summer drink with plenty of ice.
Redds Raspberry (Poland) - basically as with the redds apple, this is my favorite raspberry flavour alcoholic drink.
Old 11th June 2014, 15:07

Mood
Alienated

The Fraoch Heather Ale and Alba Scots Pine Ale are from the same brewery as the Kelpie Seaweed Ale and i have also since had their Grozet Gooseberry Ale too! all of which are very nice. In fact scotland has some of the best mico breweries going at the mo even the Belhaven Fruit Beer was i nice enough beer it has just never seen any fruit
Old 11th June 2014, 22:17

Mood
Bitching

Henry Westons Vintage Private Reserve is a beautiful (but very strong and increasingly popular) cider.
Old 12th June 2014, 01:23

Mood
Alienated

I picked up two cheap bottles of cider from aldi last week £1.49 each which tho only 4% were quite nice. Both were ALSKA swedish cider, one nordic berries and the other strawberry & lime.
Old 12th June 2014, 02:29

Had a Hastings Brewery Porter the other day, very nice and rich malty dark beer.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:21
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofSA
Henry Westons Vintage Private Reserve is a beautiful (but very strong and increasingly popular) cider.
Holy cow yes.....it's dangerously good!
Old 12th June 2014, 16:41

Mood
Bitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStorm
Has anyone tried them tequila flavoured beers, are they any good?
I cant remember if I like the taste of tequila because its been so long since I last drank any.

desperados? its not for me
Old 12th June 2014, 18:36

Mood
Alienated

I like both Amigos and the original Desperados as do my sister, brother-in-law and nephew but we are not as keen on the new Desperados Verde.
The limited edition Desperadoes Red is the best of the lot though.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossieman
In fact scotland has some of the best mico breweries going at the mo
I have also been enjoying trying a lot of different beers lately. Have you ever tried anything by Brewdog? It seems to have a bit of a cult following here, but I'm not too sure about them. There is one, however, Called Dogma, a 'heather honey infused Scotch ale', which is really nice.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:38

Mood
Bitching

lol let's try them and find out
Old 12th June 2014, 23:46

Mood
Alienated

^^ Hi ripple not had Dogma as yet but it is on my list to try with my next beers of europe order, i have tried Wolf Lavender Honey which was quite nice tho.

^ Well Sickofsa i have posted on here a few times saying i have the beer if anyone can get to mine for a beer taster night but never had any offers, due to delivery costs i always get around £40's worth in on every order. Lasts for months but i could post a list of 26 beers that i have in at the mo still to try.
Old 13th June 2014, 08:11

Mood
Alienated

Hi Purplestorm,

Yes posted it a couple of times but with no joy , that is why i was more than happy to start this thread as at least it gives me the chance to chat about the beers i have tried
One was just a basic i've got the beer who wants to help me taste them, but my first one was an idea for a kinda comp where you all bring a couple of your fav beers, we taste, mark and see who wins. I had more details inc an idea of paying £1 per bottle you enter which you get back if your bottle finishes in the top 3. Do that a few times putting the top 3 through to a final or even semi's and by the end you split the money made between the people who brought the top 3 drinks which have made the final.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:52

Mood
Alienated

Thanks

To detail the simple route if you got 5 people interested (4 + me) and each brought two beers you could have a nice night for under a £10 (say £6 for the beer (thats top price gear lol) plus £2 entry (£1 per beer)). Then (keeping things simple with no semi's) if you put the best beer through to the final, which could be yours so you would get your entry fee back of £2 to go towards having to buy the beer again for the final. Run this for 10 meets (to give you 10 bottles in the final) and you would then have an £80 kitty to split down for say the top 3 bottles in the final. (say £40 1sp place, £25 2nd place & £15 3rd place).
If you had some really nice beers you might even get more than 1 of the top 3 places
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:12

Mood
Alienated

Well i would hurry up and go for one then as i am trying to think of some more
Old 2nd July 2014, 22:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossieman
Well i would hurry up and go for one then as i am trying to think of some more

Old 2nd July 2014, 23:34

Mood
Alienated

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraSky
I was in Glasgow Central train station and noticed the Marks and Spencer has a few nice-looking bottled beers. The one I brought home was a single variety hop "Citra" IPA brewed for Marks by Oakham Ales, and there were at least 2 other IPAs available. I actually had the fleeting thought to get a pint of Guinness in the station bar but decided to try something new because of reading about all the beers on this thread.
From what i have tried so far Scotland has some of the best mico breweries around just now . Glad this thread tempted you to try something new
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:37

Mood
Alienated

Thanks JZ & STOOP both made me laugh
Old 7th July 2014, 23:47

Mood
Alienated

I have had japan's Asahi Beer which is a black lager and quite nice too!, it's a little strange drinking a pint that looks like Guinness but tastes like Budweiser