SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 21st December 2017, 19:13

Default You up for it? 100 push ups and 50 pull ups a day for 1 month challenge

Anyone up for this? I'm going to do this in January. I've done this previously, I promise you it's really not that difficult. You can spread out your reps through out the day if you want, like 20 push ups & 10 pull ups every hour, or whatever, until you've reached your daily target.

Let's do this. Start the year off in great physical shape. Then get laid.

Who's in?
Old 21st December 2017, 23:35

Default Re: You up for it? 100 push ups and 50 pull ups a day for 1 month challenge

I'll stick to eating burgers every week. And then get laid

In all seriousness, sounds like a great idea jam, I hope more people join you
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:34

Mood
Tired

Default Re: You up for it? 100 push ups and 50 pull ups a day for 1 month challenge

how do you do pull-ups?... my house seems to be missing a pull-up area.
pull-ups are insanely difficult too,. unless you're carrying very little body weight,
if you're like me,. and about 14st. pull-ups are basically impossible, without ripping your hands off in the process.
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:15
Banned at own request

Is a pull up the same as a chin up?
Not that I can do either!
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:23

Mood
Fine

Chin-ups are much easier I can only do about 3 atm because I haven't done them in nearly a year

I was trying to do 100 press-ups (we're not American ), but it makes my joints ache, probably cuz I'm fat
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:28
Banned at own request

Ah right. Some people do them one-handed don***8217;t they, I reckon if I had six arms I still couldn***8217;t do one
Old 22nd December 2017, 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Change87
Alright, lets do this Jam!

I can do 50 push up in one rep in under a minute. Not bad form either. My problem is consistency and missing them for a day, then 2, then 3. It's something I should be doing every morning as a routine.

If we keep this thread going we can make sure none of us are slacking.
Nice one, let's do it. Let's not miss a day either. Ok, if we are, then an exception is only 1 missed session a week, no more. 6 days a week on the odd occassion is acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits
What are pull ups? My arms are too weak for push-ups, so I suspect I won't have the upper body strength to pull myself up.

I've never worked out or been to a gym before, so can I aim to some things that are different?

Can I ease myself into this by doing 5 leg ups (laying down and lifting my legs up - it is something that I find really hard to do in yoga haha) and 20 star jumps? Then I'll increase it and and try different things. I'd like to go back to being more toned.

So in the wimpiest and weakest way possible - I'M sort of IN !
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
most women can't do push ups or pull ups, so I'll have to think of my own too.

Plus I'm quite broken. I've started going to the gym, but can't run because of my damaged spine, so I do an hour walking, 20 mins on the bike & go swimming. I need to find something I can do everyday that won't break me.

@biskwits, The leg one is one my physio gave me & I miss it out of my physio routine because it's too hard! Maybe I'll join you on that, I have to do sad cat happy cat, some kind of hip raise, the cobra, I think it's called in yoga & other bits all to help my spine. Atm I just do them the days I go to the gym, but I could try & do them every day.
No worries, find two things you think you can handle, and aim for doing 100 reps of each. Something like 100 squats and 200 jumping jacks. Spread them out during the day (or do it all in one go if you can), everyday until the last day of January. Your body and fitness levels will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon(cycle)Fodder
how do you do pull-ups?... my house seems to be missing a pull-up area.
pull-ups are insanely difficult too,. unless you're carrying very little body weight,
if you're like me,. and about 14st. pull-ups are basically impossible, without ripping your hands off in the process.
Not true. I've seen bigger guys doing pull ups with ease, and that's just their warm up. I don't weigh 14stones, but in my regular training i do pull ups with 20kg on my back, 5 reps x3 sets, twice a week. 20kg = 3 stones, which means im pulling a total weight of over 14stones. My 1 rep max is probably well over a total weight of 16stones. I've even done them with my daughter on my back in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
Is a pull up the same as a chin up?
Not that I can do either!
Almost the same, the only difference is hand positioning. Chin ups are easier too.
Old 22nd December 2017, 14:46

By the way
Pull ups- predominately builds your back, mainly the lats, and it also works your bicep.
Push ups- Chest builder, also triceps and shoulders.
Old 23rd December 2017, 13:22

Mood
Fine

You can do press-ups on your knees too

Here's some skeletons and weird faceless nude blobman:
Old 23rd December 2017, 19:10

Quote:
Right-o. I'm going to do this then. Jumping jacks, squats and leg-ups every day. I'll take a before and after pic to see the results!
Oh nice one, Biscuit. That pleases me that you'll do it.
Old 23rd December 2017, 21:20

If you're too big or too weak to do normal pull ups you can use a resistance band.

When I see this thread I'll make sure to do 50 pressups just for you though, I like doing pullups at the gym anyway but I don't go enough to make 50 a day, a daily thing.
Old 24th December 2017, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinny
100??
I only do 5 of anything

Y'o is crazy... crazy
That's fine, just do 5 a day then. 20 times a day. Spread through out the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandmiles
Can we have a female challenge, please? I don't think I can do 1 of either of those, how about 100 squats and a 5 minute plank throughout the day? Ladies you with me?
Yeah, go for it. Cool idea.
Old 24th December 2017, 08:52

I've come up with a plan that'll suit all levels of fitness. Pick a minimum of 2 from the list, or more, and do them every day from 1st Jan to 31st Jan. The core/abs is optional, you can't pick it as part of your 2 daily workouts. I've kept it really simple and basic to suit anyone who wants to give it a go.

Upper body strength:
-Push ups x100
-Pull ups x 50

Lower body strength:
-Squats x100
-Lunges x 100 (each leg)
-Squat jumps/tuck jumps x 50

Cardio:
-Jump jacks x 200
-Sprinting on spot/high knees x 5 mins (emphamsis on high knees)
-Burpees x 100
-Mountain climbers x 100 (left leg, right leg= 1 rep)

Optional- Core strength (abs):
-Plank x 5mins (on elbows if you can)
-Side planks x 3mins each side
-Leg raises/leg ups x 100
- Russian twists x 100

At a minimum you should pick one from lower body and one from cardio.

A good one would be to pick 1 from lower body + 1 cardio + a core. Or 1 upper body + 1 lower/cardio + a core.

The optimal choice would be to pick 1 upper body + 1 lower body + 1 cardio + a core.

But as long as you're doing 2 minimum. On the odd occassion you can pick a different exercise from the list just to stop you getting bored.
Old 26th December 2017, 13:35

Over ate this christmas? Then more reason to do this. Who else is with me?
Old 26th December 2017, 19:40

Quote:
I'm still up for this!

Question: is it best to do things like jumping jacks in trainers or bare feet?

Also - outside or inside?
It's completely your choice, to both answers. The idea behind these types of challenges is for it to not intrude on your time, day or lifesstyle. That's the beauty of it. You don't need to go anywhere or get changed into a different gear to do this, just kinda do them during ad breaks, or while you're waiting for the kettle to boil, when you roll out of bed, or while your bath is running, or whatever. But if doing them outside wearing trainers is your preference, then go for it.
The excuses of "I haven't got time to exercise" or "I haven't got time or money to go to the gym everyday" goes out the window when it comes to routines like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandmiles
Me too, after trying out what I can do for few days, I am sticking with 100 squats and the plank for 2min (I'd like it for longer but it's so hard), that's on top of running every other day, plus yoga; already put it in the diary!
Yeah go for it. And nice one, you already do good training anyway.
Old 26th December 2017, 19:45

Mood
Mellow

Count me in for this.
I actually have a pair of push-up bars which I have never used. So this is a good excuse.

I'll go for squats for the other one, found this video handy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzS1vr4JxE
Old 26th December 2017, 19:50

^ Cool man. And thanks for posting that video.

I'm so hyped that y'all are doing this.
Old 31st December 2017, 13:08

This starts tomorrow, y'all. Good luck!
I highly doubt many people will be doing this, but if you are feel free to post to let us know how it's going.
Old 1st January 2018, 12:21

Day 1-
Just completed this. Push ups 50, 30 & 20 reps. Pull ups 12x3, 8, 6 reps. Then i finished off with 100 squats as I felt I had more in the tank.

Done. Feels good man. It doesn't matter how I'm feeling in mind or body, I'm going to do this everyday of this month.
Old 1st January 2018, 22:45

Mood
Fine

I'm trying to motivate myself to do this right now actually

61 press-ups??? I could only do 10 at my strongest
Old 1st January 2018, 23:46

Mood
Mellow

Went to the gym today so this was no problem to get in.

Tomorrow might be a challenge. Using the push up bars I have got 12 is about my best - that's a whole lot of sets to get done.

The squats are easier, every time I'm in the toilet I can bust out a set. Hopefully will become a habit.
Old 2nd January 2018, 01:14

Mood
Fine

I suppose it depends how heavy you are, especially up top. I've always struggled to get stronger anyway due to my own stupidity, I tend to eat less when I'm working out so I lose weight but don't get stronger, get demotivated, stop working out, then binge like mad
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:57

Mood
Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam
Not true. I've seen bigger guys doing pull ups with ease, and that's just their warm up. I don't weigh 14stones, but in my regular training i do pull ups with 20kg on my back, 5 reps x3 sets, twice a week. 20kg = 3 stones, which means im pulling a total weight of over 14stones. My 1 rep max is probably well over a total weight of 16stones. I've even done them with my daughter on my back in the park
how long were you training,. what kind of shape were you in before you could pull-up 15 times at 14st.?

you do realise you are talking to people on here of all different shapes, sizes, levels of fitness and physical abilities,?

I know guys who have been training for years and can still only do a couple of pull-ups,.
I just think it's way too much (and no doubt inadvisable) to be expecting joe/jane blogs to start doing pull-ups on a daily basis, let alone 50

maybe if you're already into training at the gym and whatnot, it's possibly just about do-able to do about 10 pull-ups a day,at a push
. but 50?.. that's just silly.

just sounds like boasting to be honest,..

c'mon folks,. lets bench-press 200kg,.... who's with me?... ooh .er... can someone call an ambulance please .. lol
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:00

Nice one you lot. Really glad to hear some of you are giving it a go, even if you tried it but can't be arsed anymore, good job for at least giving it a go. Well done.
Now that I'm back at work, I'm doing most of it in the mornings and the rest when I get back from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon(cycle)Fodder
how long were you training,. what kind of shape were you in before you could pull-up 15 times at 14st.?

you do realise you are talking to people on here of all different shapes, sizes, levels of fitness and physical abilities,?

I know guys who have been training for years and can still only do a couple of pull-ups,.
I just think it's way too much (and no doubt inadvisable) to be expecting joe/jane blogs to start doing pull-ups on a daily basis, let alone 50

maybe if you're already into training at the gym and whatnot, it's possibly just about do-able to do about 10 pull-ups a day,at a push
. but 50?.. that's just silly.

just sounds like boasting to be honest,..

c'mon folks,. lets bench-press 200kg,.... who's with me?... ooh .er... can someone call an ambulance please .. lol
Cool man, fair point actually.
Peace x
Old 3rd January 2018, 20:58

Good to see people doing some exercise! I attribute exercise as about 75% of the reason I beat my depression and it boosts your confidence/self esteem. Personally I like callisthenics/strength training, doing handstand pushups against a wall is fun too. I usually wake up at ungodly hours for work, drink some water then do 10-20 pushups and 10 leg raises on my door frame. I find the endorphins and blood flowing helps me start off in a better mood. Trying to learn a frog stand to handstand at the moment and almost got it.
Old 7th January 2018, 12:51

Week 1 over, I've actually increased it to 120-140 push ups and 60 pull ups a day, but I've kept my squats to 100. I split my workouts in two, before and after work, apart from weekends, where I do it all in one session.

So far my upper body feels more full. I'm not going to make bodybuilding gains at all with this workout, but there has definitely been gains. I'm feeling great, doing this before work makes me feel more confident, like I've achieved something before my working day even starts. I'm not doing this to lose weight, but I've noticed that my body fat levels has decreased a tad, I can just feel it when I skim my hands over my body (that's how I normally monitor my body fat levels tbh). Not made massive changes, but noticeable changes, especially to me, it's been worth it so far. This is only week 1, I'm very hopeful as to the changes after 4 weeks of this.
Old 7th January 2018, 13:01

I can hardly motivate myself to get out of bed at 1pm, I think any physical exercise is going to be a while away yet.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:16

Just completed week 3. Looking and feeling good. I can't wait for the end of the month for it to be over, because I'm a little knackered as there's no rest days, and I'm looking forward to resuming my normal training, but it's been worth it so far.
Old 22nd January 2018, 12:33

Full credit to anyone who is doing this. A few years ago I went through a bit of a fitness regime. Nothing too strenuous because I suffer from arthritis – but enough to make a small difference.

I don't have much upper body strength and I do find doing literally any push ups very difficult indeed. I can, with much gritted teeth and slowness, do about five before I collapse to the ground out of breath! So, I do know what sort of hard work would be involved to achieve this level of fitness. The 'burn' is real!

Coming up for two years ago, I did do a month's 'Plank Challenge' in an attempt to build some inner core muscles. I was successful at completing the month (just! With lots of 'wobbly arm' moments trying to hold me up!) but I was aching almost continuously in my lower stomach and arms for weeks… I think it was just starting to make a physical difference right at the end of the challenge but it could have been in my head. It was nothing like what you see in the pictures where it shows someone with a beer gut one month and then a ripped six pack a month later… I might have lost about a quarter of an inch off my waist and that was it! I just don't have that body-type to achieve what the pictures show unfortunately. Sure, I can lose weight (which I did…helped by a lot of walking) but muscles? Nope. Not a chance! I know when I'm beaten!

I am considering doing it again once the weather starts warming up. Not at the moment though, as I know I'd probably trigger my arthritis, so I'll have to be sensible about it.

Sadly I can't comment on pull-ups. I don't have the means to do them but I suspect I wouldn't be any good at it. Gyms are too expensive for me and again, doing things like this in a room of strangers is a "no, no" for me…
Old 31st January 2018, 22:55

Good for you Change87! The better weather certainly helps. I am using a treadmill in the garage. Running every two days then walking every other day. Five miles total either way and it makes you feel good! Combine that with sensible eating, low alcohol consumption and you are doing well! Regarding your comment 'all the reason to move abroad' that is my long term plan, to live somewhere like Florida where the sun shines every day and everyone is friendly Not just a dream. I will actually do it when the time is right! 20 years and counting