SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 18th October 2009, 22:03

Mood
Sneaky

Default IBS and beta blockers

my IBS has been hella hella better since i've started guzzling beta blockers. i guess it just goes to show the effects of stress on your stomach...beta blockers cut out the physical reactions to the fight-or-flight response. so basically i don't get up every morning feeling too sick to eat because my stomach isn't trying to evacuate from my constant state of terror

anyone else find this? i just thought it would be worth mentioning since IBS is such a frickin nightmare. might be worth looking into the ole beta blockers
Old 18th October 2009, 22:34

Mood
Worried

Default Re: IBS and beta blockers

Yes! I dont think I had full blown IBS but I definately had a really upset tummy every time i felt anxious. My doctor prescribed me Bedranol (which I understand is a sort of slow-release beta blocker) the start of this year and my stomach has felt a LOT better.
Before these I couldnt even get through the morning without having a bad tummy =(.
Old 18th October 2009, 22:39
Banned

Mood
Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth brundle
my IBS has been hella hella better since i've started guzzling beta blockers. i guess it just goes to show the effects of stress on your stomach...beta blockers cut out the physical reactions to the fight-or-flight response. so basically i don't get up every morning feeling too sick to eat because my stomach isn't trying to evacuate from my constant state of terror

anyone else find this? i just thought it would be worth mentioning since IBS is such a frickin nightmare. might be worth looking into the ole beta blockers
are you joking about guzzling? coz their a dangerous drug if you abuse them.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:44

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist23
are you joking about guzzling? coz their a dangerous drug if you abuse them.

lol, guzzling is just a word meaning "swallowing on a daily basis following prescription by a qualified general practisioner", you should look it up

whats happening to that woman in your avatar?
Old 18th October 2009, 23:46

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
Yes! I dont think I had full blown IBS but I definately had a really upset tummy every time i felt anxious. My doctor prescribed me Bedranol (which I understand is a sort of slow-release beta blocker) the start of this year and my stomach has felt a LOT better.
Before these I couldnt even get through the morning without having a bad tummy =(.

were they prescribed for your tummy, or for the anxiety? if they are routinely prescribed for the tummy, i'm gonna kick my drs ass that he never gave me them like 19 years ago!
Old 18th October 2009, 23:48

Mood
Worried

Quote:
were they prescribed for your tummy, or for the anxiety? if they are routinely prescribed for the tummy, i'm gonna kick my drs ass that he never gave me them like 19 years ago!
For my tummy. But as I said before, I dont think I had/have IBS as such.
Old 18th October 2009, 23:51
Banned

Mood
Curious

Quote:
lol, guzzling is just a word meaning "swallowing on a daily basis following prescription by a qualified general practisioner", you should look it up

whats happening to that woman in your avatar?
she took to many beta blockers.
Old 19th October 2009, 00:01

Mood
Fine

Quote:

I found that beta-blockers actually gave me stomach pains!?!
Old 19th October 2009, 10:47

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
the ones i have aren't big enough to get that kind of reaction - no matter where i took it
Old 19th October 2009, 10:49

Mood
Dramaqueen

Amitryptiline (why can I never remember how to spell it?) is the best thing I ever found for IBS. And not eating pizza. I don't remember beta blockers ever making a difference.
Old 19th October 2009, 16:23

Mood
Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by teal
Amitryptiline (why can I never remember how to spell it?) is the best thing I ever found for IBS. And not eating pizza. I don't remember beta blockers ever making a difference.
My doctor tried me on them when i first experienced these tummy upsets but I found they made me very zombiefied.. and yeah I know pills take a few weeks to settle down but I just couldnt manage feeling that way =(.
Old 19th October 2009, 17:45

Quote:

thanks for posting... i didn't realise stress had anything to do with ibs
Old 19th October 2009, 17:58

Mood
Sneaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb86
thanks for posting... i didn't realise stress had anything to do with ibs
the way i understand it, ibs is kind of like a catch-all term for stomach problems of a particular type where they can't really find out whats the matter. my opinion is that many with ibs have undiagnosed allergies, bad diet, problems with stress, or a combination of these and a bunch of other things.

theres never really a time when i don't feel stressed, and they say you shouldn't eat when you are stressed. is it any wonder i get heartburn, bloating, nausea, constipation etc etc more or less constantly?
Old 19th October 2009, 22:28

Mood
Worried

As I understand it, IBS can be either food-induced or stress-induced.

I feel sorry for anyone with food-induced IBS though - I've seen a list of foods to avoid ...its pretty much everything apart from 'water'
Old 20th October 2009, 05:34

Mood
Dramaqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyDoll
My doctor tried me on them when i first experienced these tummy upsets but I found they made me very zombiefied.. and yeah I know pills take a few weeks to settle down but I just couldnt manage feeling that way =(.
I agree entirely - I've stopped taking them again because they give me all sorts of side effects that I don't like. But they do work brilliantly for pain and IBS, even in tiny amounts, and they seem to regulate the speed with which my bowel processes food, which means I could go camping and things like that which are really difficult otherwise. It was only when I was given the amitript. for other stuff that I experienced what it was like not to have IBS for the first time in my life.

Mind you, my IBS isn't stress related, or at least I have had it since I was tiny and there is no correlation at all between when it is bad and when I am stressed. There is a correlation between wheat and my IBS but I've been tested and I'm not actually gluten intolerant. Every so often I just have to stop eating wheat for a few weeks to let it settle down.
Closed Thread