SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Other Issues and Conditions
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 28th October 2021, 09:02

Default Alcohol addiction

Im nearly 2 months into AA and 2 relapses. I just wondered if anyone else is in my position. I'm able to keep sober for a length of time then eventually I get complacent and I slip.
Old 28th October 2021, 18:46

Default Re: Alcohol addiction

It's still good to hear different perspectives
Old 28th October 2021, 19:01

Mood
Cynical

I haven't been through alcohol addiction personally but I do know it can be very hard to stop and you are doing well already trying to do it! Do you have a sponsor through AA? (It's ok if you don't want to say.) I wonder if having someone specific to talk to who has been through it could help you in the times where you feel you might be about to slip.
Old 7th February 2022, 13:43

I drink way too much.
Slipping as you put it, is very common. Happens all the time to nearly everyone.
I've quit myself a few times and restarted mainly because I was bored than anything else.

I hope you can keep going sober
Old 7th February 2022, 17:55

I once was sent to an AA meeting on the recommendation of a psychiatrist friend, but it turned out not to be my main problem, more of a symptom of other problems.
I used to drink a certain amount socially as a crutch against SA, but it's less of an issue nowdays. I do like booze, though, but in recent months have hardly touched a drop as I'm dieting and it's probs the number one source of empty calories.
Hope you can get and stay sober, Sophie. I know someone who's done it. It takes considerable willpower but it's certainly achieveable. Try to consider also what is driving you to drink: is there an emptiness or something missing in your life and you're trying to fill the void? I suspect this can be the case in many cases of addiction.