SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 4th April 2007, 18:07

Mood
Flirty

Default anyone dread summer

does any one dread summer and can't wear t-shirts and summery clothes
and wear winter clothes when its hot out
or try to cover up and feel real uncomfortable in less clothes and never go out without a coat/jacket
Old 4th April 2007, 18:08

Mood
Angelic

Default Re: anyone dread summer

I hate summer and I usually wear the same clothes and walk around hot and bothered.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:13
gguk

I'm a boiling mass in summer, yuk
Old 4th April 2007, 18:51

Nope, I love summer.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:54

I love the sunshine but hate having to dress for it. The heat also makes me very irritable, or so I'm told.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:55

I like getting a bit of a tan, well, I just basically get more colour in me, but that's about all I like I guess.

Summer makes you feel worse if you don't go out that much either. It makes sitting indoors just feel more 'wrong'.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:59

Mood
Worried

I like summer sometimes but when its too hot and i have to wear like vest tops i really kinda hate it.
Last summer i went to great yarmouth with my then boyfriend and i wore one of my mums tops which is sorta like a vest top and i just couldnt enjoy myself. I was thinking the whole time 'fat arms argh!'.

Bigger people get sweaty really fast =(.
Old 4th April 2007, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by callu
does any one dread summer and can't wear t-shirts and summery clothes
and wear winter clothes when its hot out
or try to cover up and feel real uncomfortable in less clothes and never go out without a coat/jacket
callu, I'm not sure why you can't wear t-shirts etc. Is it because you are really self-conscious about being seen? I only wear long sleeves and long trousers and skirts, because I have eczema and I am really self-conscious about the marks it has left. When I was younger and my skin not so bad, I was self-conscious because I was really skinny and got teased about it.

Now, I would love wear things with short sleeves, this summer I will probably get away with 3/4 length, because my skin has improved since I left work. Buying lightweight clothes with long sleeves in the summer is almost impossible.

Couldn't bear another hot summer, can get quite itchy also quite panicky and feeling that I might faint.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:31

I do like summer but at the same time I don't. I love it because it's just so sunny and beautiful. But on the negative side I'm never prepared for it. I don't have summer clothes and summer seems to make me even more conscious about going out.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:34

Tis a pretty sight, no doubt.

But summer always gets me down because everyone else seems happier during the summer and i'm still a grumpy git.

Maybe things will be different this year but nothing will ever replace a cold, winters night for me.
Old 5th April 2007, 00:40
Co-Administrator

Mood
Dreaming

I hate summer. If there is such a thing as summer SAD then I have it. Two days ago we had a bright day and I felt very, very depressed, worse than I'd felt for a long while. Summer represents so many horrible things to me. Winter seems to be getting shorter and shorter and summers longer and hotter. We're getting an air conditioning unit soon and I'm going to try and block out as much sun as possible. I wont be going out unless chimpy takes me in the car with the windows open fully.

ren

Old 5th April 2007, 00:44

Mood
Sad

Quote:
Summer makes you feel worse if you don't go out that much either. It makes sitting indoors just feel more 'wrong'.
Yeah, i feel exactly like this... you see pretty much everyone going out having fun, but cos you have nobody to go out with, you end up sat inside feeling all miserable and sweaty

Appart from that, i actually like summer, i generally feel a lot more happy and positive when the weather is good, and i can wear less in the summer, which helps because i sweat a disturbing amount lol... i'm sure nobody wanted to know that!

And nice to see you back on the site, Enjay!
Old 5th April 2007, 00:58

its not summer i hate but all the people who go out during the warm sunny days....i do manage to get out but i'm not too good in crowds specially when there are lots of noisy kids about
Old 5th April 2007, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Mind
And nice to see you back on the site, Enjay!
Cheers, Blank Mind
Old 5th April 2007, 01:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_mind
Yeah, i feel exactly like this... you see pretty much everyone going out having fun, but cos you have nobody to go out with, you end up sat inside feeling all miserable and sweaty
Phew I'm glad its not just me in this situation!! This is the main reason I don't like summer, it makes me feel more alone seeing others doing stuff with friends also I hate the stifling heat like we had last July, it was unbearable, and as I have very fair skin I don't tan and have to be very careful as I burn really quick, it's not fair! I don't like having to wear shorts and vest tops as I feel very self consciuos which is daft as I have a very good figure.

What I do like though is seeing the blue sky, its lovely after all the grey days we get in this country, and blue is my fave colour too
Old 5th April 2007, 01:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank_mind
Yeah i feel like that and when i do go out its always on my own.
Old 5th April 2007, 02:35

Oh God, I hate summer. And I hate how people look at me like 'Miserable git' when I say I hate summer, even though summer doesn't equal happiness for me so it's not as if I'm revelling in misery by prefering cooler weather.

To me summer is: sweat, stink, insects, buzzing, itching, sweat again, clammy bodies, stale air, petrol fumes, weariness, more sweat.

And I also can't stand wearing a t-shirt in public. I also always wear tights and knee length skirts, even in stifling weather. I'm not prudish when it comes to other people at all, and there's nothing wrong with my skin, but somehow showing more of myself feels too vulnerable and just wrong. I love being wrapped up. I suppose it's a comfort thing, so even when the weather makes too much clothing physically uncomfortable I still grasp for psychological comfort in layers. I also love being able to wear a thick coat, because it feels like there's more between me and the world.

The addition of people getting more sociable in summer when I'm not and the fact that being too hot makes me grumpy just makes summer one long nightmare for me.
Old 5th April 2007, 09:39

Hate summer. 1. Can't sleep when it is hot

2. Summer evenings just depress me so much and I don't know why...sunsets really make me low

3. I am tall and have very broad shoulders so in the summer they show up more as I have to wear a T shirt. You often read in books on SA that one of the symptoms is extreme self-consciousness about a particular part of your body and for me it is my shoulders. It is sad really, because many guys go to the gym in the hope of building up their chest, I starve myself in the hope of becoming less conspicuous

3. Sweating

4. Headaches due to heat and bright sun + anxiety
Old 5th April 2007, 11:16

I hate summer too. So many people around all the time which makes a trip to the shops that bit more intense, plus you have all the couply people enjoying themselves and being all affectionate which makes a bitter, single me feel even more bitter and single

At least in winter everyone is anonymous. You can just engulf yourself in layers and not draw any attention to yourself. In summer it's a case of sweating like a bastard or wearing few clothes - neither of which is very appealing to me.
Old 5th April 2007, 14:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
absolutly! i know what you mean. i hate it when its hot and sunny and ive got nothing to do , nowhere to go , just sat indoors and it makes me feel like i should be outside doing something. it feels like such a waste. i do prefer winter now. i go to bed around 8-9pm and when its still light kids are still playing outside and its hard to get to sleep!!
Yeah, I prefer winter too, it has a nice feel to it. I'll usually go to bed at about 3am to 4am, I just don't seem to get sleepy any earlier than then. I've got myself a sleep mask and some earplugs under the pillow, so I don't end up waking up really early because of the bright light and incase there's any noise.

Those two items are probably the most important things that I own.
Old 5th April 2007, 14:50
Bluboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannysbabe
Phew I'm glad its not just me in this situation!! This is the main reason I don't like summer, it makes me feel more alone seeing others doing stuff with friends also I hate the stifling heat like we had last July, it was unbearable, and as I have very fair skin I don't tan and have to be very careful as I burn really quick, it's not fair! I don't like having to wear shorts and vest tops as I feel very self consciuos which is daft as I have a very good figure.

What I do like though is seeing the blue sky, its lovely after all the grey days we get in this country, and blue is my fave colour too
Danny, I am also fair skinned (red head & freckles) I discovered something last year which is a sunscreen called P20 which is absolutely brilliant. You only have to apply it once for the whole day and it is not sticky or greasy at all and really works, give a go.
Old 5th April 2007, 16:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by magika
absolutly! i know what you mean. i hate it when its hot and sunny and ive got nothing to do , nowhere to go , just sat indoors and it makes me feel like i should be outside doing something. it feels like such a waste. i do prefer winter now. i go to bed around 8-9pm and when its still light kids are still playing outside and its hard to get to sleep!!
is it possible for you to sit out in your garden for a couple of hours...just to get some fresh air. i dont go out much because i dont have anyone to go out with, except for shopping at the supermarket i'm in my flat most of the time but i do manage to get out into the garden (i have to make sure theres no one around first though ) its amazing what an hour or so of fresh air can do to you....take care
Old 5th April 2007, 16:33

I hate the beginning of summer with a passion. All my friends asking me to go out, which i have been doing but right now im anxious as hell. I think its the feeling of everything opening up and the sterotype of people coming together in summer and having a great time. Having said that its mainly the social connotations that i dislike, and this is usually only at the start of summer, as i adjust and get into i love the sun, sitting outside pubs the blue skies etc. Just the change always gets me.

I had a breakdown at the start of summer a few years ago, i wonder if my body has programmed like a warning signal at the start of every summer. Either way this next month is going to be tricky but by may-junish things will pick up

ben
Old 5th April 2007, 21:26

Mood
Flirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by D66
Yeah i feel like that and when i do go out its always on my own.
how can u hate ronaldo he is hot stuff
Old 6th April 2007, 00:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluboy
Danny, I am also fair skinned (red head & freckles) I discovered something last year which is a sunscreen called P20 which is absolutely brilliant. You only have to apply it once for the whole day and it is not sticky or greasy at all and really works, give a go.
Thanks Bluboy, I don't have red hair now, did up to about the age of ten, it gradually darkened, unfortunatly the skin will never tan, my arms just come out in tiny freckles! I've got a factor 30 sunscreen but if I have to be outside more than a few hours I still burn
Old 6th April 2007, 00:35

I understand all the reasons given as to why people hate Summer, but personally, I love it! Was driving around today, with the window down and my tunes on, and I just felt this surge of happiness - like, yeah, I feel shit a lot of the time,but the fact I still have the capacity to feel great counts for a lot.

I love the fact it makes me feel freer - like I feel more compelled to go out and see people. The heat and the sunlight makes me naturally more relaxed and positive. And also I don't have to smother myself in scarves and coats (hate that, feel like a mummy). Summer dresses and sandals rule!
Old 6th April 2007, 18:10

Mood
Gloomy

I hate Summer too! Just hate how it makes me feel all hot, sweaty and majorly uncomfortable, doesn't help either that i love wearing black....and like everyone else said i hate wearing skimpy clothes and seeing everyone else havin' a fabo time wearing next to nothing, laughing with mates etc just makes me relise what a poopy sheltered life i lead.... Roll on Autumn it's my fav
Old 6th April 2007, 18:57

To be honest i dont have issues with clothing, but mainly the social side! Everyone seems to be out and about in the summer and it makes me more depressed that i am stuck in most nights. xx
Old 7th April 2007, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles21
To be honest i dont have issues with clothing, but mainly the social side! Everyone seems to be out and about in the summer and it makes me more depressed that i am stuck in most nights. xx
i think you'll find a lot of people stay in at night time nowadays...most of the people where i live stay in...its not just an SA thing....its a sign of the times....if everyone went out...there would be no programmes on tv....
Closed Thread