SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 30th September 2015, 18:16

Default How much can you remember

How much of your childhood can you remember
for me one or two vague things
a nervous breakdown being most memorable
Old 30th September 2015, 18:24

Default Re: How much can you remember

sorry to hear you had troubles so young. i can remember a fair bit, mostly with friends in the summer or at school. between the age of 6 and 9 i would say. and they are the only whens where ive been truly happy.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:28

I can remember quite a lot, I have always had a good memory. My earliest memory is when I was 3 years old, in hospital for a whole month around Christmas time, maybe that's why I love Christmas so much despite being in hospital it was amazing.
Old 30th September 2015, 18:37

Mood
Shoveit

More than is good for me
Old 30th September 2015, 20:38

My memory is awful. I remember vaguely about things but never much detail. It upsets me really
Old 30th September 2015, 22:20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waine
How much of your childhood can you remember
for me one or two vague things
a nervous breakdown being most memorable
Yes, that possibly would be a little bit memorable.
Old 30th September 2015, 22:28

Mood
Dreaming

I've blocked out the more traumatic memories to the point where I have no idea if I made them up or not.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:25

I was just thinking about this tonight because I was talking to a friend about his niece...not much. I've got a couple of clear memories that last a few seconds long each and nothing in between. I don't really remember specifics that well, nor how I felt. I remember my daydreams back then fairly well and bits and pieces of stuff with friends.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:36

I remember loads of stuff, back to when I was about 3 years old. I love remembering stuff and can spend ages trying to remember things happening. Some bad things I try and forget but away from school I had a mostly lovely childhood.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:40

^^I think sometimes it's that, but other times it might literally be that there wasn't much to remember.

One reason could be that everything was so routine and nothing really happened that you only really remember stuff that seemed like an event. With me, I assume it's largely because I was a big daydreamer and spent a lot of my time in a fantasy world, so it makes sense that some of my most vivid memories are actually daydreams - or actual dreams - that I had, since these would have meant the most to me at the time.

I also had psychodynamic therapy and I think it's kind of warped the way I look at my childhood now, as it has been analysed too much. When I first started in therapy I said there wasn't really anything to talk about because everything was fine when I was a kid (except for at school, I mean at home), but I was encouraged to almost kind of look for bad stuff...I'm a bit confused nowadays whether I had a good childhood or not, but I have decided to just revert back to what I thought before therapy (i.e. everything was basically "good enough") because that makes more sense really than looking for something wrong if I doubt there was anything particularly wrong even if things weren't ideal.
Old 30th September 2015, 23:53

My memory of my childhood is patchy, maybe, I don't know. I can't compare to other people directly so it's hard to know. I guess in my case I either don't want to remember or don't care to remember. I generally don't think about childhood anyway.
Old 1st October 2015, 04:23
Banned at own request

Mood
Doubtful

For me my childhood memory is fuzzy. My brother remembers a lot more of what were shared experiences.
Old 1st October 2015, 07:34

Not very good.

I'd say if I were to count my memories from 0-15yrs of age, I'd say I have about 20 different separate 5-sec flashbacks.

Which is hardly any help to me at all :/
Old 6th October 2015, 14:00

Mood
Sweettooth

I remember quite a bit ! I remember some of the times I was anxious as a child, like going to other kids parties and absolutely hating it and wanting to come home and then I remember nicer things like being on holiday
Old 6th October 2015, 14:25

I can remember my second birthday. There were two little plastic racing cars on my cake--one red and one blue. One would be mine, the other my older cousin's. I wanted the blue, so did he. I knew I'd get it because birthdays trump oldest-gets-first-dibs, although I wasn't fully confident in this estimation. I got the blue. He got the red. We sat on the steps outside pushing them back and forth. It was the only time I can ever remember getting first choice before that greedy fat prick.