SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > General Discussion > The Lounge
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 1st May 2017, 10:22

Mood
Lurking

Default Re: Small things that annoy you (3)

^Also, throwing the cat out and letting her/him starve isn***8217;t a good solution. I think that if someone has done their research and tried to feed the cat a vegan diet, but the cat just doesn***8217;t thrive on the vegan diet, feeding the cat meat, whilst still wrong, is excusable given the circumstances. One of the reasons why I don***8217;t like domestication is because it throws up ethical dilemmas like this.
Old 1st May 2017, 10:45

Mood
Relaxed

^ Well I'm not sure owning a life is vegan in the first place. A human stealing a kitten from it's parents and raising it, is at best not natural.

Feeding the cat meat is not excusable regardless, but that wasn't my point, I was just saying it's not veganism, that is just a hard fact.
Old 1st May 2017, 11:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmosby
^ Well I'm not sure owning a life is vegan in the first place. A human stealing a kitten from it's parents and raising it, is at best not natural.
Domestication of animals involved evolutionary change, so over however many thousand of years it has occurred it has become natural. Although I'm not sure if it occurred by cats scavenging around camps or by humans deliberately selectively breeding the tamer ones.

(Interesting fact: domesticated animals have smaller brains than their wild counterparts, and the human brain has also shrunk since the Stone Age.)
Old 1st May 2017, 11:48

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
I agree that animals like dogs and cats are not natural and that because of the many problems with domestication, we should therefore not bring any more animals into existence to be kept as “pets”. However, I think that we do have a duty to care for the animals that are already here by adopting animals if we’re able to do so.

Quote:
Feeding the cat meat is not excusable regardless, but that wasn't my point, I was just saying it's not veganism, that is just a hard fact.
Feeding the cat meat is excusable if there is no possibility of the cat being able to live a healthy life without it. As has been argued before, what is the alternative?

Imagine a scenario where you have two vegans; one decides to adopt a dog and a couple of herbivores because all three are in desperate need of a home, and the other decides to adopt a cat, who is also in desperate need of a home and will soon be killed if she doesn’t get one. The dog and two herbivores are all fed a vegan diet. The second vegan does a lot of research into vegan diets for cats, but finds that it is impossible for the cat to prosper on a vegan diet. So, reluctantly, the second vegan feeds the cat meat. Is the second vegan no longer a vegan? If your answer is “no”, then I respectfully disagree.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:09

Mood
Cynical

^ That's what I think too, you just have to do the best thing for the animals in your care. You can opt not to have pets that eat meat or not to have that type of pet again if you are vegan and you don't feel it's right. There are unfortunately lots of animals that need homes though and it doesn't seem better to me for them to be killed or stuck in a shelter rather than be given a loving home.

It's very difficult for anyone to be a completely perfect vegan anyway!
Old 1st May 2017, 13:25

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott85
Feeding the cat meat is excusable if there is no possibility of the cat being able to live a healthy life without it. As has been argued before, what is the alternative?
It's not excusable. Killing a cow to feed a cat achieves nothing, why is it better for a cow to lose it's life than a cat?

Quote:
Is the second vegan no longer a vegan? If your answer is “no”, then I respectfully disagree.
Yes they are no longer vegan. As soon as you encourage industry to abuse animals on your behalf, by paying them to do so, you are no longer vegan. Stealing bread to feed your starving children doesn't change the fact that you are a thief, reasoning doesn't change reality.
Old 1st May 2017, 13:27

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougella
It's very difficult for anyone to be a completely perfect vegan anyway!
It is indeed.
Old 1st May 2017, 13:54

Mood
Lurking

Quote:
It's not excusable. Killing a cow to feed a cat achieves nothing, why is it better for a cow to lose it's life than a cat?
Neither the cow nor the cat should have been brought into existence in the first place. But what would you do with the cat that couldn***8217;t thrive on a vegan diet - would you let her/him starve, Schmosby?

Quote:
Yes they are no longer vegan. As soon as you encourage industry to abuse animals on your behalf, by paying them to do so, you are no longer vegan. Stealing bread to feed your starving children doesn't change the fact that you are a thief, reasoning doesn't change reality.
So should the second vegan, then, have left the cat in the shelter to be killed?

Whilst we have domestication, we***8217;re going to have ethical dilemmas where whatever option we choose won***8217;t be satisfactory.

It***8217;s not possible to be a ***8220;perfect vegan***8221; in the sense that animal products are in things like plastic in our mobile phones etc. However, that doesn***8217;t mean that it***8217;s not easy to choose to eat vegan when we have dinner tonight. In general, being a vegan is easy. And, as more people go vegan, the less likely it is that animal products will appear in plastic etc.
Old 1st May 2017, 15:14

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
Neither the cow nor the cat should have been brought into existence in the first place. But what would you do with the cat that couldn***8217;t thrive on a vegan diet - would you let her/him starve, Schmosby?
I would take it to a cat shelter and swap it for one that can eat vegan. Otherwise you end up with a vegan compatible cat living with a non vegan family being fed meat, while the vegan also feeds their cat meat.

In all reality, cats are capable of finding food, if it's not happy with it's vegan food it will eat from neighbouring cat's food, bins or hunt, so I would say little chance of it starving.

Quote:
So should the second vegan, then, have left the cat in the shelter to be killed?
I would say so, because taking it from the shelter means killing other animals to feed it. I don't think it should be for us to choose which animals to kill.
Old 1st May 2017, 16:33

Mood
Lurking

^ So you are saying that vegans should only adopt animals that can eat a vegan diet, and that it is better to kill a healthy cat that can***8217;t eat vegan than to adopt her/him. I disagree.
Old 1st May 2017, 18:45

Mood
Relaxed

Quote:
^ So you are saying that vegans should only adopt animals that can eat a vegan diet
Yes. You should have pets that fit in with you lifestyle, like not buy a huge energetic dog if you live in a tiny flat and are out at work all day every day. This is basic stuff.

Quote:
and that it is better to kill a healthy cat that can’t eat vegan than to adopt her/him.
So it's better to murder 10 cows to keep 1 cat alive? I don't understand your logic.
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:29

Old 3rd May 2017, 16:50

One thing that has annoyed me for years is getting smudges or specs of dust on my glasses. The smudges just smudge more and the specs of dust immediately turn to smudges the moment you try and clean them off.

I do have various microfibre cloths and even two little containers of the proper cleaning product that opticians use. Neither clean them properly enough for me...

I actually have two pairs of glasses. One cleans 'okay' but the others are always smudgy. I returned them to the opticians and even they admitted there must be a fault with the lenses as they couldn't clear them properly. Sadly, by the time I returned them, they'd long since gone out of their warranty/returns period.
Old 3rd May 2017, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman
One thing that has annoyed me for years is getting smudges or specs of dust on my glasses. The smudges just smudge more and the specs of dust immediately turn to smudges the moment you try and clean them off.

I do have various microfibre cloths and even two little containers of the proper cleaning product that opticians use. Neither clean them properly enough for me...

I actually have two pairs of glasses. One cleans 'okay' but the others are always smudgy. I returned them to the opticians and even they admitted there must be a fault with the lenses as they couldn't clear them properly. Sadly, by the time I returned them, they'd long since gone out of their warranty/returns period.
I'm exactly the same. It's more difficult to keep glasses clean than it used to be, because of the fancy coatings on the lenses. They also get harder to clean over time.

I've got some lens cleaner from the opticians, but it's not that good really. I also tried some of those lens cleaning 'wet wipes' you can buy, but they just smear the grease around.

I recommend washing them under the tap with a little drop of washing up liquid on your fingers. Clean the frames too, or that dirt is just gonna be transferred to the lens when you polish them. Dry them with a towel or tissue and only then do you bring out the microfibre cloth. Those cloths are useless once they pick up grease, so buy a big multipack from Amazon and bin them when they lose their polishing powers. You can wash them but I find they're never as good as when they're new.

I'm considering buying a lenspen. They're for cleaning cameras but they do a good job at removing grease for any sort of lens.
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:11

Mood
Shoveit

Giff gaff or jiff Jaff as I like to pronounce it , ****ing up buying a bundle cause it used my credit while I was in the process of buying a new goodybag( moronic term btw) so had to get the next one down in price. Wank stains.
Old 3rd May 2017, 21:44

^ That is rubbish

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk
Old 5th May 2017, 14:38

Mood
Mellow

teenagers with mouths that run away with them. wonder who she gets that from....sigh.

having to go to bloody (xcuse language) school meetings again -
guess when...almost the height of summer...midmay....why dont they just make it june/july and have it over and done with in the sweltering heat.

almost got the beginnings of tourettes syndrome with the headshake, raised eyebrows and mouth grimace when i'm out or even within range of her personal space. not good. Lol.
Old 5th May 2017, 16:16
Co-Administrator

Mood
Tired

IDS's never ending stints on different news and TV shows on basically any political news story. GO AWAY.
Old 5th May 2017, 17:35

When you're ready to pop outside and then you see a neighbour out the window and think 'probably best to give it a few minutes'.
Old 5th May 2017, 17:47

Painful foot and it's restricting my walking.

Old 5th May 2017, 18:16

it's been playing up for a while but it's much worse today .

Old 5th May 2017, 19:39

Mood
Mellow

Lol Merritt - same.
Old 5th May 2017, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine
Just had a text from my ex. He must be bored and wanting to amuse himself by messing with my head again.
Did you reply?

Old 5th May 2017, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Vale 1942
I wonder whats caused that :/ you could try bathing/massaging it. sorry that's really obvious!
I'm not sure, I've been suffering for a while but it's been really painful today.

Old 6th May 2017, 18:12

Mood
Tired

Public toilets that aren't open, grr

Also, boxers that keep riding up and exposing my bits 10 times a minute

probably shouldn't have posted those 2 things together
Old 7th May 2017, 01:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplesnarf
When that wondercore smart advert comes on and you're feeling really full up and fat and your wondercore smart is gathering dust in your bedroom.
I have one of these

Old 7th May 2017, 22:08

^^ I like it but I need to use it more.

Old 7th May 2017, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte Vale 1942
When I type texts and miss that my phone converted hun to either nun or gun 'hello nun' 'ok thank you gun'
I'm sure your friends do not mind.

Old 8th May 2017, 00:08

Microsoft word can seriously **** off, with its ****ing crap formatting shit. Just do what I want you to, you ****ing useless ****
Old 8th May 2017, 10:57

Mood
Mellow

^undo button is useful....formatting is a bit like predective texting - u cant control how you want to use it or how you want it to look.

just to round my social destruction off again - shes decided to take a sicky off school - when she looks perfectly fine and not her usual white self. i was enjoying gtg back out there too in some small way. after 5 lates its a detention so i really hope she gets it. i'm now stuck in for most of the day until we sort this out - and i moan when i feel edgy about heading out. Oh dear. Lol.