SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 1st June 2011, 19:09

Default Working from home jobs?

Well not even working from home as such more working for myself. I've been trying to figure this out for some 15 years and as yet still haven't had a light bulb moment, I'm sure you have all read my success with work and so won't go over that again, I'm not looking to make millions, I'd be happy on min wage as long as I was working for myself/by myself what ever way you want to put it, I don't care if its online offline not bothered, However main issues I've hit in the past are due to my SA I don't drive and I live in the sticks so it would really need to be online
Old 1st June 2011, 19:41

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Working from home jobs?

my only thoughts on this is setting up a little business selling bits on ebay..i see profit alone from buying wholesale and then the going rate on individual auctions (stuff like pc cables) ..although i can imagine if i did it myself (which id really like to do!) id buy 50 cables..and sell one..then have 49 for like a year

I think theres potential here though...and thats about the only idea ive got..if a good answer pops up here im gonna rob it because id love to work from home
Old 1st June 2011, 19:52

Mood
Mellow

I tried one "working from home job" a couple of years ago, I had to pay £10 for instructions to a paypal account and realised when I received the instructions in my email it was a "spam websites" type job. I'm usually wary but I took a gamble and lost £10 in the process as I don't fancy having a job as a spammer!
Old 1st June 2011, 20:01

Mood
Alienated

Hi Dave, what sort of thing were you thinking of having a go at, what can you do.
If you're a good writer you could start blogging, if you can get visitors to come to your site and get advertisers there you can make money, probably take a long time to build up interest though.
How about writing articles, i think it's 'Vivatic' and 'pinecone Research' they'd give you some sort of online test to see if you were up to standard
Now don't laugh at this but what about adult chat lines, 'Kistel' and ''textalicious.com' i think it would be mostly women but if you could get work doing just text nobody would know if you wear a woman or not, just learn to talk dirty.
Got to say i've not tried any myself but i've been reading up on blogging, the best ones seem to be written by people who have an interest in their subject, maybe fishing; ghost hunting; motor racing, whatever . Then others with the same hobbies may come to read it..

Just read Budha was asked for money, anyone that asks for cash up front is a conman, don't touch them.
Old 1st June 2011, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienBuddha
I tried one "working from home job" a couple of years ago, I had to pay £10 for instructions to a paypal account and realised when I received the instructions in my email it was a "spam websites" type job. I'm usually wary but I took a gamble and lost £10 in the process as I don't fancy having a job as a spammer!
Oh I remember many years ago when I was young and foolish I replied to an advert in the paper working from home, I had to send £50 and it was for stuffing envelopes needless to say it was a scam lost my £50, the sad bit was I was only an apprentice at the time and only earned £55 a week
Old 1st June 2011, 20:38

Mood
Notworthy

this is an excellent thread.

of course, it could be argued that working from home merely panders to the actually need to tackle the SA, but if this thread can help each other gain some kind of financial independence, then all the better.

perhaps this thread could be used as a sounding board for opportunities and warn of scams.
great post, dave81uk!
Old 1st June 2011, 22:46
Banned

Mood
Cool

I don't think working from home is necessarily any easier than a normal job. I suppose it is quite a romantic idea for someone with social anxiety but surely an occupation should be based on something other than exasperation of current circumstances?

I suppose what I'm saying is; if you are having a rough time at the moment and not coping especially well is this likely to change? When you hit a rough patch with a new project what's to say you won't want to give up and do the same thing? I ask myself these questions when I want to give up and do something else.
Old 2nd June 2011, 10:56

Mood
Breezy

There are too many of these scams so be careful. Maybe have a look at this and it's got a list of things to be wary of when it comes to home work scams.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:16

Mood
Shoveit

Im working from home nowadays, I used to be a civil servant working for the MOD until it got too much to cope with.

So mainly out of desperation I had a brainstorming session and out of the blue decided to be a carpenter/crafts men. I have never had any training in this but with the attitude of give it a go, I did it.

Now in process of setting my own business up and very excited and positive about the future, may not be my dream job but without doubt it's the lifestyle I'm after, I get to work from home and do something I very much enjoy and get a strong sense of self worth. While spending alot of time with my family, my only annoyance is I didn't start it earlier.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:36

@ Christonabike Nice one Kris! wish you all the best with your venture.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment work wise, feeling similar to OP. Watching this board with interest.
Old 2nd June 2011, 11:43

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Paulson
@ Christonabike Nice one Kris! wish you all the best with your venture.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment work wise, feeling similar to OP. Watching this board with interest.
Thankyou Robert Paulson, very kind of you. Stuck in what way? Are you looking or unhappy with what your doing?
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:34

Mood
Curious

Don't sign up for anything that requires you to pay money up front!

There are various sites where you can do quick writing/editing/research jobs, many of which are genuine. Although they pay low wages, you can often do the work whilst watching tv or listening to music so it's a good way to earn a few extra £. I've PMed you a referral link to one that I think is quite good.

You could also try trading stuff on ebay or setting up a blog/website and monetising it using google adsense, but you would need huge numbers of hits to earn anything from ads.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:32

Mood
Mellow

I've taken voluntary redundancy and leave in October. I'm also a civil servant BTW.

I hate the stress, including the commute and working in open plan. Working from home for a bit would be a good break before I go back to another job (hopefully more local).

I do remember adds for envelope stuffing before but it seems like that is a scam.

Looking forward to reading posts on this thread.
Old 2nd June 2011, 15:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christonabike
Thankyou Robert Paulson, very kind of you. Stuck in what way? Are you looking or unhappy with what your doing?
I'm looking, been up for a couple of support worker interviews but no luck. Starting to doubt my suitability for that job.
I think my problem is low self esteem when it comes to working, especially around other people and in groups. I just get the feeling I'm useless, the frustrating thing is I know I'm fairly capable but the SA kicks in and I get tense and quite and find it difficult to communicate. when i'm stressed my mind does this thing where it initiates a system shut down and I slowly turn into a shop window dummy, who has trouble thinking and speaking.

Some sort of little business with minimal stress, minimal contact with people would be nice. I've never been too interested in being rich, just happy.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:33

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley
how do you work from home doing this? dont you have to visit other peoples homes or businesses. and how did you teach yourself cos its a very practical area? cant imagine you can just read up around it... the reason i ask is because im thinking of doing interiors.
I read an article about this guy who made a name for himself making rocking chairs using japanese methods, when asked how he learnt to do it he said he just did it "either you can or you can't" so taught himself from scratch.

Being inspired by this i decided to give it a go, i bought myself the tools i needed and also a load of timber, which in itself was very anxiety provoking as i was on the phone (which i've always struggled to do) asking for timber not having a clue what i was talking about, let alone what i needed and what size.

I then worked very hard pretty much every day and night teaching myself how to do it, admittably not all went well to begin with but eventually it started coming together, was even proud of some of the things i was producing. the turning point came when a few people saw what i was doing and asked whether i could make them something similar. It was an incredibly liberating and exciting experience knowing i could actually do this.

I'm very lucky to have a very understanding and supportive partner, who has pushed me when i needed it. All the times i doubted it and thought it couldn't be done, the times i was worried im going to make a bloody big fool of myself i just kept going and pushing myself.

Everything i make is bespoke and to order, my partner takes the orders over the phone and i make it. I deliver the goods or sometimes the customer comes to collect depending on size, at times use a delivery service also. At times its very anxiety provoking, dealing with customers or delivery workers but i just do it because it has to be done and im getting better all the time, I now have a very aggresive and never give in attitude when it comes to my SA. Yes its extremely hard at times but i just keep at it and it gets easier and easier.

Using this guys ethos of you can or you cant i just went with it and realised i could, it is a very practical job but its as simple or as hard as i make it and from my own experience pretty easy to self teach as i do and make things how i want to.

My advice to anybody in a similar boat who has an idea/ambition or a dream in the back of your head, is just do it, start it today and work your hardest, try your best and believe in what your doing. You are in charge of your own life, your own future and you can take out of life what you choose to, i know its hard to believe it sometimes but it is true. Slowly but surely im making it happen.

You have to believe you can instead of telling yourself that you cant.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:36

Mood
Shoveit

From what I can tell, theres only a very very small chance of working from home these days. You can become self employed easily though. I was doing self employed gardening for a few years, driving to jobs. Was easy enough. Not fun though, was a lonely job tbh.

As much as it seems a good option, working at home or working on your own doing something else, for SA, is a very bad idea imo. Im at my worse when im stuck at home if im honest.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:42
Banned

Mood
Cool

Very interesting Christon. Just one thing I don't quite get is how you take orders over the phone? Does someone say something along the lines of ''I want a bookcase for my bedroom'', you go and measure up and then design it yourself? If so you must have a creative flare.
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:54

Mood
Shoveit

First I don't take the orders as I'm still not great on the phone and don't want to give a bad impression of the business, my partner takes the orders and relays it to me, alternatively we take orders by email.

I don't go and measure up we ask the customer for all dimensions then I go a make it to their specification.

I appreciate not everybody has someone who can help in this way but there is always a way around it. Being self employed does and will work if you have the right attitude to make it work. It's all about believing it.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:05

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreyger
From what I can tell, theres only a very very small chance of working from home these days. You can become self employed easily though. I was doing self employed gardening for a few years, driving to jobs. Was easy enough. Not fun though, was a lonely job tbh.

As much as it seems a good option, working at home or working on your own doing something else, for SA, is a very bad idea imo. Im at my worse when im stuck at home if im honest.
Totally disagree, working from home is becoming more and more common in this day and age. For me my SA makes me not great in crowds and busy environments so is very hard to give my best when I'm not feeling it. For me working from home is ideal I get to work when I want with none of that outside pressure, doing something worthwhile which in turn makes me feel alot better and happy which in turn improves my depression and anxiety, given me the chance to live my life and enjoy it, something I couldn't do when I went out to work.

It may not work for everybody granted but it does work very well for me.
Old 2nd June 2011, 17:19

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Paulson
I'm looking, been up for a couple of support worker interviews but no luck. Starting to doubt my suitability for that job.
I think my problem is low self esteem when it comes to working, especially around other people and in groups. I just get the feeling I'm useless, the frustrating thing is I know I'm fairly capable but the SA kicks in and I get tense and quite and find it difficult to communicate. when i'm stressed my mind does this thing where it initiates a system shut down and I slowly turn into a shop window dummy, who has trouble thinking and speaking.

Some sort of little business with minimal stress, minimal contact with people would be nice. I've never been too interested in being rich, just happy.
Yeah I know exactly how you feel it's incredibly hard, feeling you want to run away and disappear all the time. Have you got any ideas for what you like to do? May sound funny to you but you do come across on here like a very together and realistic type of chap. Hope it all goes well for you.
Old 2nd June 2011, 18:55

Quote:
First I don't take the orders as I'm still not great on the phone and don't want to give a bad impression of the business, my partner takes the orders and relays it to me, alternatively we take orders by email.

I don't go and measure up we ask the customer for all dimensions then I go a make it to their specification.

I appreciate not everybody has someone who can help in this way but there is always a way around it. Being self employed does and will work if you have the right attitude to make it work. It's all about believing it.
I am a time served carpenter, sadly its something I never had an interest in. As you will know yourself the cost of machinery would be a major issue for me, but its a real money maker, I see some of the orders we get with the prices still on the order and I think "You have clearly more money than sense" but people are prepared to pay it.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:21
Banned

Mood
Cool

Quote:

I think that's a really good attitude Christon, well done mate. If I had the room I would without a doubt have my own workshop but there's no room for any of that where I live.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:29
Banned

Mood
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
I am a time served carpenter, sadly its something I never had an interest in. As you will know yourself the cost of machinery would be a major issue for me, but its a real money maker, I see some of the orders we get with the prices still on the order and I think "You have clearly more money than sense" but people are prepared to pay it.
But then again larger firms have higher overheads. Might seem like a lot on paper but if you take into account wages for x amount of joiners in the shop + everything else you have to turn over a certain amount just to break even. Profit margins are slim despite big turnover.
Old 2nd June 2011, 23:17

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave81uk
I make everything by hand so don't have alot in the way of machinery, what I do have is only the essential bits. Probably cost me about £500 to set up and to get that I pretty much sold anything of value I had.
Old 3rd June 2011, 10:10

Quote:
Im working from home nowadays, I used to be a civil servant working for the MOD until it got too much to cope with.

So mainly out of desperation I had a brainstorming session and out of the blue decided to be a carpenter/crafts men. I have never had any training in this but with the attitude of give it a go, I did it.

Now in process of setting my own business up and very excited and positive about the future, may not be my dream job but without doubt it's the lifestyle I'm after, I get to work from home and do something I very much enjoy and get a strong sense of self worth. While spending alot of time with my family, my only annoyance is I didn't start it earlier.
What you talking about?! - You're only 29! Well done - you've done a fantastic thing. The only problem is that you're making that mistake that people do when they're around thirty of thinking their lives are over! I'm 47 but don't feel any different to when I was 30 (apart from the morning after a few beers - that really can feel bad nowadays!). When you get to my age you'll have had around 20 years experience. I wish I had that much experience in a trade, now looking forward to the next 20 years of working.

The best people I've come across in trades are the blokes in their forties and fifties. They've got the wisdom and the calmness to make the customer feel they've chosen the right person for the job. So keep at it -if you're good now you've got so much to look forward to. I'm really envious! BTW did you do any courses? How did you get your first jobs? I'm really thinking of retraining now!
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:45

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robul
What you talking about?! - You're only 29! Well done - you've done a fantastic thing. The only problem is that you're making that mistake that people do when they're around thirty of thinking their lives are over! I'm 47 but don't feel any different to when I was 30 (apart from the morning after a few beers - that really can feel bad nowadays!). When you get to my age you'll have had around 20 years experience. I wish I had that much experience in a trade, now looking forward to the next 20 years of working.

The best people I've come across in trades are the blokes in their forties and fifties. They've got the wisdom and the calmness to make the customer feel they've chosen the right person for the job. So keep at it -if you're good now you've got so much to look forward to. I'm really envious! BTW did you do any courses? How did you get your first jobs? I'm really thinking of retraining now!
I'm really not thinking like that, i've created a position for myself so I can be at my best, for me and my family. Depression is not mich of a problem nowadays, my anxiety now compared to what it was is not compatible either. I needed to do it so I can enjoy my life and I finally am, in many ways I've found my place to be at my best.

No didn't do any courses I did buy a book to check a few things out, literally taught myself from the ground up. My first paid job actually came about completely by chance, I happened to be with my partner at a dentist surgery when the dentist chap started talking to me. Remember feeling very anxious as if he was interrogating me what I did for a living, but happened to mentioned he needed some work doing. My partner being her assertive best blurted out I'd take the job, my reaction would have been no I don't know and ran off. So from that I started advertising with a few flyers, now pretty much all my work comes from word of mouth.

Any ideas in what you like to retrain as?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:59

My dad's a builder and always hated the idea. Bought a house a few years back and now realise that building is what I'd like to have done! Having said that, my dad's health isn't that great - once you're in your 60's getting out on roofs in the cold isn't an ideal situation.

I'd love to make stuff - eg carpentry but I don't have much space here.

So other things I've been looking at are ipad apps programming, things to do with computing - because technology will always be developing and skilled people will always find work. Prob is that starting out at the bottom with not a clue about the area I'm thinking of investing my time in feels like such a scary thing to do.

Guess I need to find an introductory course.

The big problem that I've always had is never having had a passion for a particular career. I know people who excel in lots of areas and who love their work. Most of them have been involved in their lines of work since they were in their teens. I'm still unsure at 47. I 'm a teacher, for my sins.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:18

Oh God - sounds awful, what I said about being a teacher! (That's SA for you!) Honestly I do enjoy doing what I do and I love working with (most) kids. Just that despite what most people think if you want to do the job well the hours are long and there's always the feeling that you could do more. I like the idea of being my own boss.
Also, being a teacher with SA can be very tough!
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:20

Mood
Shoveit

Like I said, carpentry isn't my dream career but it does give me the lifestyle I was after.don't know if you have read human givens? Thoroughly recommend it if you haven't, comparing sufferers of mental illness to rare orchids it's about finding the perfect condition/environment to grow.

As for app programming, I heard on the radio the other days it's hard to make alot of money from it well unless you happened to create angry birds or such like.

My advice would deffinately be go for it though, make your mind up and go for it and don't stop until you get there.
Old 3rd June 2011, 12:37

Mood
Shoveit

Quote:
Originally Posted by robul
Oh God - sounds awful, what I said about being a teacher! (That's SA for you!) Honestly I do enjoy doing what I do and I love working with (most) kids. Just that despite what most people think if you want to do the job well the hours are long and there's always the feeling that you could do more. I like the idea of being my own boss.
Also, being a teacher with SA can be very tough!
Yeah I imagine the would be incredibly difficult for at times. What do you teach? What age group?
Closed Thread