SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Board Management > The Garage
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Should post counts be eliminated?
No, leave things as they are. 18 51.43%
Yes, eliminate all trace of post counts. 3 8.57%
Remove them from next to people's names in posts, but leave them in the profiles. 8 22.86%
Create an option so that each user chooses if they see them or not. 4 11.43%
Don't care! 2 5.71%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 28th January 2006, 21:40

Default Re: Post counts. Really needed?

I like the compromise idea. Under Anne's idea, if you want to check your post count just go into User CP or check your profile.

I really do think it'd create more level ground in terms of posting between people.

As for feeling like an outsider, then yes, I still do here and other places to an extent. There have been people posting at SAUK for 4+years I think... that isn't their fault and there's nothing they can do about people feeling that way - it's a welcoming place for the most part.

Getting to know the idiosyncracies and vibe/atmosphere of a board such as this takes a while.
Old 29th January 2006, 09:58

Mood
Dreaming

I think people wouldnt post as much if there wasn't a post count. Some people like getting their post count high so are more likely to respond to people's posts. If we removed the post count then people may be less likely to respond to a greater number of posts and then this place may get quieter. I know that when I was a newby I wanted my post count higher so that I could fit in. But I never left pointless spam on threads, I tried to respond to people who needed help in the SA room. Perhpas newbies will be less inclined to help people if there isn't a little in it for themselves. I know this sounds like a selfish attitude but for someone to help someone else, they generally like to get some sort of reward no matter how small. Post counts can do that. It makes you feel like you belong when your post count gets higher. Otherwise you feel like one out of thousands, no different from when you first joined. I would also like when I respond to posts for people to know I am a regular member rather than someone who simply posts once then disappears.

I dont know if that all came out correctly, or if it sounded wrong. Anyway, I vote to keep the post count! If it aien't broke dont fix it I say!
Old 29th January 2006, 09:59

Mood
Dreaming

Perhaps is there a way in personal options to 'hide post count'? Then people who want their post count shown could, and those who want theirs hidden could? Like when we choose whether we're visable when we're online or not?

I know, this probably isn't possible. Just an idea.
Old 29th January 2006, 10:06

Alternatively just use typex on the area of the screen the post counts scroll down, though it'd leave a big white strip that may be misinterpreted.
Old 29th January 2006, 10:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberfirez
I think people wouldnt post as much if there wasn't a post count. Some people like getting their post count high so are more likely to respond to people's posts. If we removed the post count then people may be less likely to respond to a greater number of posts and then this place may get quieter. I know that when I was a newby I wanted my post count higher so that I could fit in. But I never left pointless spam on threads, I tried to respond to people who needed help in the SA room. Perhpas newbies will be less inclined to help people if there isn't a little in it for themselves. I know this sounds like a selfish attitude but for someone to help someone else, they generally like to get some sort of reward no matter how small. Post counts can do that. It makes you feel like you belong when your post count gets higher. Otherwise you feel like one out of thousands, no different from when you first joined. I would also like when I respond to posts for people to know I am a regular member rather than someone who simply posts once then disappears.

I dont know if that all came out correctly, or if it sounded wrong. Anyway, I vote to keep the post count! If it aien't broke dont fix it I say!

Possibly. That's an interesting counterpoint about the SA room, though I personally feel the time/date someone has joined is usually a good measure of how one can fit in to the forum. It takes me ages before I ever feel like I fit in anywhere, and that's because for me I have to feel as though I'm sustaining my expression for a period of months. Which is usually too sapping to think about.

The problem I would say is that high post counts might make new users feel like those 'one in a thousand' that you describe and discourage them from posting. I'm not sure if VB can technically allow people to tick an option in their User CP whether they want to see post counts or not on the forum, but that would be a good alternative method to take perhaps, with the default setting 'off' so as to encourage new users.

You make a concise argument for them to stay though.
Old 30th January 2006, 00:48
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0hn0
I would imagine the fairest way is to put it to a vote, anne.
I will. I've looked a bit more into this tonight. There are 4 possibilities-1)change nothing, 2)remove post counts everywhere, 3)remove them just in threads but not the profiles, and 4)lastly, we can give the option to choose to see post counts or not. Although the last one has a certain attraction, it seems rather silly to me-some people will see them, others will not?

My problem with this issue is that I never look at the postcounts except when I see a name I don't recognise-basically I want to know if I have Alzheimer's or if this is a new person So I really have no opinion on the matter-I can see both sides. That said, given the arguments here, I think option 3 seems the most likely to satisfy (or at least half-satisfy) everyone.

Anyway, will add a poll to this thread to try to get a sense of how people feel about this.

Anne
Old 30th January 2006, 00:55

If people are really that bothered about post counts, I'd imagine option 4 would be the best... if you don't want to expose yourself to someone else's tally of posts, simply choose not to, along with your other user preferences, otherwise just get on with living your life

My God... 4 pages!
Old 30th January 2006, 10:32

i think this just seems like a big deal about nothing really! i like seeing how many posts ive made personally and a lot of people have sed the same i think just leave it as it is and stop makin a big deal outta nothin xxxx
Old 30th January 2006, 10:35

There isn't any big deal. It was a suggestion for the site in a section of the forum to raise points on the board.
Old 30th January 2006, 13:24

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
It looks like the 'ayes' have it. Come on, naysayers! Log into your other usernames and vote in favour of abolishing the post count. You know it makes sense.

Ray.
Hey! I'm gonna get revenge on that statement and create 20 alternate accounts and vote to keep the counts! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!
No, make that 200 accounts! It may take us all night, but we'll get there in the end! Won't we? (I use the term 'we' for when I create the 200 accounts I will officially become 200 different people). Bwa-ha-ha-ha! Get ready for amberfirez2 - 201!
Old 30th January 2006, 13:58

They should have hired you for the Ukraine elections.
Old 1st February 2006, 08:48

Question Re: Post counts. Really needed?

Another 2 ideas on post counts for discussion. I like the 2nd one best....
Would it be technically possible to show "How many post counts in this room" (either with or without an additional "Total posts" count) ?
For example, when someone replies to a topic in the "Social Anxiety Room" it would show how many posts they have posted in there. When they post one in the Lounge, it would show how many they have posted in that room.
I can vaguely see a use for post counts if it shows how many posts they have posted in the social anxiety room, or welcome room (could be viewed that they are the helpful or friendly type who has given lots of advice and support to SA sufferers), but I can't personally see any relavence to how many posts they have posted in, for example, in The Lounge, or The Basement. Also, being (to my own dismay) a naturally sceptical person, when I see responses indicating that people care about (mainly thier own) post counts, it makes me wonder whether they are spamming the board up just to raise thier post count.

Conversely, would the above idea only mean that these people then filled ALL the rooms up with spam ?

Thinking about it further, what about another idea (again, for discussion). What about one of those boxes where you vote for "how useful did you find this post ?". Then each person could have a "usefullness rating" (either with or without thier post count). That would still encourage people to post, but, also encourage them to post useful replies. I personally would find this very helpful.

I guess what it boils down to for me personally is that I don't really care about post counts, unless it tells me something useful, and I am against them if it means you have to wade through less useful posts to find help on SA.
Old 1st February 2006, 10:59

Aye. It'd decimate discussion. There are already people jumping on each other... it'd just be another outlet for it.

That and the fact that like post counts, people may find their expressions being valued/judged against other people. This in turn would create the impression of a clique and discourage others from posting or joining.
Old 1st February 2006, 12:51
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
I think if this were to be implimented (and i rather doubt it will be), you'd probably put off the majority of people from replying. Who would want to have their post (and their usefulness!) judged - and rated in this way? I think that is a hideous idea! Sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept
Aye. It'd decimate discussion. There are already people jumping on each other... it'd just be another outlet for it.

That and the fact that like post counts, people may find their expressions being valued/judged against other people. This in turn would create the impression of a clique and discourage others from posting or joining.
Hmm. Your right. I didn't think about it from that perspective. Rubbish idea. Sorry.
Old 1st February 2006, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
Hmm. Your right. I didn't think about it from that perspective. Rubbish idea. Sorry.
That was me by the way. Forgot to log in. Having a bad day. Guess my "usefullness rating" would have taken a nosedive for this one. :embarass:

Last edited by GoldenBoy; 1st February 2006 at 13:19.
Old 1st February 2006, 22:13

I feel that a post count can generate an unhealthy competitiveness in some people and that their on line life can be dominated by this.
And it may denigrate a site that offers support.

Closed Thread