SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 10th December 2006, 20:44
Banned (by own request)

Default New job.

Hey all.

I left my job on Friday after nearly 5 years service and began my new job on Saturday morning, i'm working nights so i start properly tonight. My reasons for changing jobs were many. I needed more money for starters, i was fed up working at my old place and knew that i was never gonna advance there.So i made the decision to move on.

Problem is that my only friends were people i work with and now they've gone. I've got some of their numbers so i CAN stay in touch with them but i'll miss the day to day interaction. I was given a couple of leaving cards, most people only get the one so i was very happy that so many people liked me.

I already get the impression that meeting new people in my new job will be difficult. I'm working in a much larger company and on nights when it's mainly old people or foreign people working with me. I'm starting to wonder if i've made the right move.

SA-wise i'm feeling good right now. I went to my old works X-mas doo last night and felt fine. I left without saying goodbye to most people but then i've never liked goodbyes. At my new job i was quite chatty with everyone i met and asked questions and tryed to make conversation. I feel confident with people for the first time ever.

I guess i'm just nervous. I've taken a big step changing jobs and i feel proud of myself for doing it. I'm just worried that i may miss my old workmates.
Old 10th December 2006, 21:35

Default Re: New job.

Hi Enjay

I've just started a new job myself (last Monday, been there a week), so I'm in the same position as you, the 'new guy'. I did the usual meeting everyone for the first time on Monday, which went ok, just a bit of a blur of names and faces. But then, on Tuesday, I was hit with this overwhelming, paralysing anxiety, scared witless of speaking to anyone, feeling very trapped, and naturally wondering if I'd made the right decision to move jobs.

I, like you, find it very difficult to get to know new people, especially a whole group of new people at once. I have got better at it, but the initial awkwardness of it all is pretty painful to say the least.

The most positive thing you say is that you felt confident at your new job, talking to the people. Thats a very good sign that things will be ok, and you will get to know a few people there. I must admit I dont feel confident at all in my new surrounding, I never do in these situations. Its natural for people with SA/low confidence to automatically assume that we are inadequate and disliked, just try to keep a positive view that things will get better and you will feel more comfortable with people as time goes by. Afterall, you did it in your last job, so it proves you can.

Good luck with it.

Kevin
Old 11th December 2006, 07:06

Default Re: New job.

Hi Enjay. Well done in getting the new job. You recognised your need to move on and took positive steps to reach your goal. You will miss your old workmates and that's just natural. Keep in touch with them from time to time and if you have their email addresses you could drop them a line regularly. That way you won't feel the loss as much and this will wear off as time goes on and you meet new workmates. All change is difficult and us humans don't like change so, again, it's natural for you to feel apprehensive. As every day goes by you will get more comfortable with the new job and new horizons may open up for you. Good for you for taking the initiative and I hope the new job is all you want it to be.
Closed Thread