SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 12th December 2006, 21:34

Default Diet changes to help SA?

I have read things like omega 3s from oily fish, in high amounts in the diet can be great for depression, and also Lecithin and choline can help withdrawal from SSRIs, so wondered if anyone had a degree of success with managing anxiety by diet?

Obviously things like avoiding caffeine and alchohol (for its rebound anxiety when you sober up), processed sugars that cause blood sugar surges, but anything more specific i could try?

Thanks guys!
Old 12th December 2006, 21:46

Default Re: Diet changes to help SA?

To be honest if you have anxiety bad enough to be on this site a change in diet is not really going to help much. I have tried all that- not eating certain foods etc. Only seroxat ever really got it under control.
Old 12th December 2006, 22:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moksha
To be honest if you have anxiety bad enough to be on this site a change in diet is not really going to help much. I have tried all that- not eating certain foods etc. Only seroxat ever really got it under control.
what were your side effects from Seroxat?

I gained about 14 pounds, and it was also pretty rough for a week when i stopped it!

I wouldnt mind gaining weight if it made me feel great, but for a small effect, the downside on my self image would outweigh it i feel
Old 12th December 2006, 22:35

I also gained a bit of weight, but nothing too drastic. You just have to be careful what you eat and do a bit of exercise. Withdrawl is horrible if you do it too quickly. I found I was hyper irritable when I stopped them, just wanted to kill, kill, kill! But it soon passes so long as you withdraw very gradually...10mg for 2 weeks, then 5 mgs for 2 weeks etc. The only side effect I had whilst actually on them (apart from a little weight gain) was feeling quite sleepy at night...after years of insomnia this was ecstasy and I couldn't wait to get to bed! All in all they work wonders for me and are the only anti-depressant not to make my insomnia initially worse. Hope they work as well for you
Old 12th December 2006, 22:53

yeah thats what the withdrawal was like for me also - i was psycho lol v v v irritable, in fact irritable does not do the raging psychosis i felt justice

are you male or female also - the reason why i ask is the sexs seem to tolerate ssris differently
Old 12th December 2006, 22:55

Male. 15 stone. Just over 6ft.
Closed Thread