SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 21st April 2011, 20:27

Mood
Alienated

Default Re: Internet dating sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie Bin Bird
This all makes me so glad I love being single....This all sounds like proper hard work!
i agree..it sounds a ridiculous amount of work...games..whatever

unfortunately i hate being single

i personally dont have a problem with meeting someone online..but for me its usually been just talking on msn/whatever for a while just as mates and then it turning into something else..and not that the original plan was a relationship..perhaps i wouldnt be too interested talking to someone for weeks/months if the only intention was to date

to be honest id rather meet someone in real life and be friends with them and get on with them for a while as i know ill be more open/friendly instead of being a silent..weirdo which i know damn well i would be if thrown into a date from someone on a site..before it turning into moarrr..unfortunatly i knew about zero females before starting work and now im up to a good...7? 6 of which are in relationships anyway so no go there
Old 21st April 2011, 20:29

No because most of the time it does work out, and im not saying i talk to them for ages as in a long time.

Most cases i start talking to a guy, and we vibe from the first time talking, talk all night ends with a number then texting and talking happens for a few days non stop and we meet within the first week or second.

I just like to know that i have chemistry with someone, and the same humour before meeting them because then i know i can talk about anything and everything with them and not have them standard boring questions finding out about someone.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomin
All I want is 9 and a 1/2 weeks Kate with a decent guy. I love being single, but it's the celibacy that's going to do me in.
I've not had anything since October! I've even had offers from the ex.....Nope! I refuse!
Old 21st April 2011, 20:44

Quote:
I feel better now ha. No sexual contact since December :D/ Well done.
Old 21st April 2011, 20:49
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandapop
No because most of the time it does work out, and im not saying i talk to them for ages as in a long time.

Most cases i start talking to a guy, and we vibe from the first time talking, talk all night ends with a number then texting and talking happens for a few days non stop and we meet within the first week or second.

I just like to know that i have chemistry with someone, and the same humour before meeting them because then i know i can talk about anything and everything with them and not have them standard boring questions finding out about someone.

nice strategy but I don't think i can use that strategy. Seriously, the women on there seem to get distracted by other men quite quickly.

I have to move at godspeed.

my pof strategy:

attempt vibing ----->comfort----->casually joke about meeting up ------> push for meetup.

this is what happened with the girl from last friday. i attempted vibing with her, we wern't vibing that well ...but after a while it did go into comfort, i saw an oppertunity and bounced off something she said and joked about meeting up, ...then a bit later i started being serious about it.
Old 21st April 2011, 21:19

Mood
Blah

Personally I like to (or used to..im not bothering no more) talk to lasses for maybe 3-5 weeks before meeting. It was getting shorter though as I was meeting more lasses. I have met three women so far and all the time the time spent talking to them online prior to meeting them was becoming less and less.

I think experience (whether good or bad) over time talking and meeting women does reduce that time spent talking online. For me..I think it's mainly disappointment and being let down in the past which forces me to be braver and meet quicker.

Im very very inexperienced when it comes to relationships..but oh my have I wisened up already. If I ever start looking again..maybe I will get it down to one week of talking..then meet..I can't ever see it being any less than that..coz I at least like to know a little about that person (but just as much I like them to know a little about me) before we meet. I hate the idea of just turning up as complete strangers to each others personality.

Anyways yeah. I do struggle with loneliness and I really miss intimacy. I'd say im a pretty affectionate guy and I don't mind showing it wherever. But I think im starting to realise that the way to do it is to invest in good people around you..trying not to expect anything and if anything happens..fantastic..but if not then at least they can be a good friend. The kisses and cuddles may take time to happen..until the right person comes along..but what can you do..I guess I have to be patient and appreciate the nice people along the way...and forget about the not so nice.
Old 21st April 2011, 22:41

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emski
I met the love of my life in the most random social networking site ever, then got talking on msn for over half a year. And im so glad i have met him, event hough we aint together no more i still do see him, which must mean something, even only though its for a cuddle and sex but ohh well LOL

I just hope i dont end up 50 and trying to find love on the internet...
LOL your posts do make me laugh :D
Old 21st April 2011, 22:42

Mood
Paranoid

I know you're not supposed to ask but how old are you WBB?
Old 21st April 2011, 23:02

Mood
Dreaming

Quote:
Haya

He's finishing his masters in philosophy right now and we both are personally very interested too, but from different viewpoints so we're ganna swap life paths ect.. Finally someone who will listen LOL Smart, gsoh, multi lingual, well read, dark hair blue eyes and he likes Red Dwarf \o/!
wow he sounds really intelligent!!

Quote:
I love being single, but it's the celibacy that's going to do me in.
i'm the exact opposite lol
Old 21st April 2011, 23:03

Mood
Relaxed

I dont reccoment internet dating if you suffer from SA, the few gems you do discover go bad quickly if you know what i mean... your better of dating when you overcome your fears
Old 21st April 2011, 23:05

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden_away
LOL your posts do make me laugh :D
Why isit because i sound like an uneducated twat?

Edit: foolish, stupid, ******** etc....
Old 21st April 2011, 23:07

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azi
I dunno, I don't see that as a real feminist issue.
Good post Azi and I agree, it isn't a feminist issue but some people like to use that as validation to attack people due to insecurities about their appearance. Or more so how they think others view them.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:15

Mood
Breezy

Quote:
Tbh i think meeting someone off the internet is a great way to meet someone you'd like.

I think you guys don't try to vibe with someone online way before meeting someone, i think you meet up with too many girls for dates without getting to know them, yes i know you'd rather get to know them in person.
I think that's a good strategy IF you have the luxury of getting lots of interest, if say you are an attractive woman. Otherwise beggars can't be choosers springs to mind.

Quote:
But like I'm just saying some of you like you just said meet up with girls just cos someone wants to meet up with you for a date, and then you get annoyed when its not a good one.

I'd just rather feel and talk to someone a lot before straight up meeting with them then at least i know theres more chance of getting on.
I don't know about the rest of the guys but personally I'd rather meet up than spend time and effort getting along with them online but then find you don't like them when you meet. I think a lot has to do with how they actually look IRL and how they come across IRL. Maybe it's different for women but online if men are putting in effort they aren't likely to flake but very often women will flake. In the mean time you've been putting in your time and energy into something that isn't going to go anywhere. Personally I only have so much time and energy to put into getting to know people online. You can spend hours and hours chatting online but IRL you can whittle that down to an hour or less to get the same information but it's of a much higher quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
one of the first girls who messaged me on there, we were getting on fairly well. but i stupidly listened to her when she said she wanted to talk alot first. by 2 weeks i could tell her interest in me had wayned significantly. i pushed her to set a date, so she did, she perked up for about a day or two ...then the interest died down again. i never did get her on a date..

lesson learn't. get girls on dates as quickly as possible or you run the risk of them loosing interest or getting distracted by other guys.

don't you guys feel miffed when you waste ages talking with someone and it ends up not working out. atleast if you get them on dates quickly you don't waste so much time. no?
Exactly. I think it's different for men and women. I've learnt the hard way now that if a woman isn't really enthusiastic then it isn't going to get any better, so I just bail out quick. You can tell if they really want to get to know you first or if their reluctance to meet is because they really aren't that into you but haven't got any better offers at the minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiance
nice strategy but I don't think i can use that strategy. Seriously, the women on there seem to get distracted by other men quite quickly.

I have to move at godspeed.

my pof strategy:

attempt vibing ----->comfort----->casually joke about meeting up ------> push for meetup.

this is what happened with the girl from last friday. i attempted vibing with her, we wern't vibing that well ...but after a while it did go into comfort, i saw an oppertunity and bounced off something she said and joked about meeting up, ...then a bit later i started being serious about it.
Definitely women and men need different approaches. Women don't have nearly as much competition for starters and women have more offers so of course they can afford to take their time. Also there is more potential risk for a woman meeting up IRL than there is for a man.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:17

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Why isit because i sound like an uneducated twat?

Edit: foolish, stupid, ******** etc....
NOOOOO you just sound like errm really kinky . It's a good thing haha
Old 21st April 2011, 23:22

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
NOOOOO you just sound like errm really kinky . It's a good thing haha
gosh, i hope i don't come across like that, ahh well hehe
Old 21st April 2011, 23:35

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
gosh, i hope i don't come across like that, ahh well hehe
Not in a bad way! Remember it's how we perceive things. Don't look into it and think I'm thinking badly of it. When a girl acts flirty/kinky in a nice way like you in can be cute :D

I'm not thinking bad of you I promise!!!
Old 21st April 2011, 23:38

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Not in a bad way! Remember it's how we perceive things. Don't look into it and think I'm thinking badly of it. When a girl acts flirty/kinky in a nice way like you in can be cute :D

I'm not thinking bad of you I promise!!!
Awww okay lol when i read back at some of my posts about sex/relationships i do sound like a soppy young girl who's like a lost puppy that needs rescuing from the top of a tower

I believe you hidden_away
Old 21st April 2011, 23:41

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Awww okay lol when i read back at some of my posts about sex/relationships i do sound like a soppy young girl who's like a lost puppy that needs rescuing from the top of a tower

I believe you hidden_away
It's actually quite surprising how many pretty women there are on this site. Just goes to show how many of us suffer with this.
Old 21st April 2011, 23:48

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
It's actually quite surprising how many pretty women there are on this site. Just goes to show how many of us suffer with this.
Yes there are alot of attractive men and women on here, you got nice toned arms in your picture lol, your face is covered by a smiley though
Old 21st April 2011, 23:53

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Yes there are alot of attractive men and women on here, you got nice toned arms in your picture lol, your face is covered by a smiley though
Thanks, I don't have the guts to show my face to be honest. I am worried someone might know me and my secret of SA might get out. Pretty silly really
Old 21st April 2011, 23:56

Quote:
I know you're not supposed to ask but how old are you WBB?
Me?? I'm 33
Old 21st April 2011, 23:59

Mood
Cloud_9

Quote:
Thanks, I don't have the guts to show my face to be honest. I am worried someone might know me and my secret of SA might get out. Pretty silly really
Awwwww i can understand where you are coming from though, i get slightly anxious when i read a newcomer on the forum from London similar age etc... hehe, SA,its like one of the deepest, darkest secrets to have if I'm being honest...
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:00
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

That other one kissed my left ass cheek and said goodbye.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:03

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie Bin Bird
Me?? I'm 33
Looking great
Quote:
Awwwww i can understand where you are coming from though, i get slightly anxious when i read a newcomer on the forum from London similar age etc... hehe, SA,its like one of the deepest, darkest secrets to have if I'm being honest...
It's a sad state of affairs that we have to act like that because of the stigma that surrounds it. Wish we were taken more seriously!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Haze 2
That other one kissed my left ass cheek and said goodbye.
Off topic mate but can I ask what your test levels are? I was thinking about getting my measured but don't know how to go about it.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:05

Quote:
Looking great

It's a sad state of affairs that we have to act like that because of the stigma that surrounds it. Wish we were taken more seriously!

Off topic mate but can I ask what your test levels are? I was thinking about getting my measured but don't know how to go about it.
LOL, Cheers sweets! Not heard that for a long while!
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:07

Mood
Breezy

Hang on... I think I'm going to vomit, reminder to self, must avoid this thread....
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:07
Banned

Mood
Lawabiding

Quote:
Looking great

The last time I checked they were 5.8 on a scale of 7.6 - 31.4.

7.6 is that of a very very old man. My great grandad had higher test levels than that, probably still has even though he's dead. Mine and yours need to be in that upper range. 30 +.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:14

Mood
Paranoid

Quote:

7.6 is that of a very very old man. My great grandad had higher test levels than that, probably still has even though he's dead. Mine and yours need to be in that upper range. 30 +.
damn that is seriously low. Did you say you have had your adrenal gland tested? I have been on a BB lately and a guy i have been talking to is in an exact same boat as you mate, Same test levels.. He would not give up and after ages of going through tests and researching they have found out he has a tumor on his adrenal gland. He is so happy right now because this is the reason why his levels are so low. Might be worth looking up.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:15

Mood
Breezy

Quote:

Yeah I had my done for peace of mind last year as I'm getting on a bit. You can get them done privately for about £60. Make sure to get free test levels measured though as total test doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 22nd April 2011, 00:16

Mood
Blah

I never thought I'd join a dating paysite but I did..joined Match about 2 months ago. Was curious to what interest and what types of messages I would receive.

Thing is I hardly ever use it now..only briefly spoke to a few women on there and that's that. I duno why..guess I just didnt get the right feel for the site..even though I received a fair bit of interest.

The intereset died down though after a few weeks..duno if this was because im always inactive on the site. I guess I didnt really give it a serious go..but from what I've seen I would say its way over rated AND is full of foreign and fake profiles. There is always profiles being deleted.

Found OKCUpid crap too..but once again didnt give it much of a go.

POF is the best site I've been on for interest/chatting and dating. Gets boring though waiting for somebody new who you fancy to message you. Also..I cant decide what type of women are on there (in my own opinion rather than what I hear) and how serious they are with regards to long term relationships. I'd like to think that there are some decent women on there who don't want the world.

Can't be bothered with any of it at the mo though.
Closed Thread