SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > Room with a View
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Reply  Post New Thread

Old 8th August 2013, 00:19

Default How To Come Off Paroxetine?

This drug has been a life saver, don't get me wrong.

The main thing it has done is completely eliminate the constant underlying fear and tension I always had of embarrassing myself.

But it's also making me fatter and fatter. People think I'm pregnant, seriously.

The increasing weight is getting me down. Soon after taking it my body just bloats.

I eat healthy and exercise-NO difference.

Plus, anyone on this will tell you you're 'private' parts, might as well have been anesthetized. This isn't a big deal really but doesn't stuff like that have psychological effects?

Plus when I stop taking it I get tremors; hands, arms, head, legs-everywhere and tension all over that's exhausting.

Is there a way off this drug without going back to SA hell?
Old 31st May 2016, 20:48

Default Re: How To Come Off Paroxetine?

Hi . I just noticed this old post with no replies, and I relate...
I did stop paroxetine by myself, with no help from the GP (I didn't tell them )
The tension and anxiety was appalling, I've read somewhere that typically the body readjusts after 2 years or so.

I was taking this stuff for over 10 years, it did help but I definitely looked pregnant

As you probably know there are alternatives out there, most of which also cause weight gain (not to mention possible scary long term side effects..)

I'm currently debating internally whether to go back on meds
Old 31st May 2016, 20:58

Default Re: How To Come Off Paroxetine?

Aw thanks for replying, been off this now for years and just take Sertraline if the symptoms get a bit much although it's probably just a placebo effect as you would have to take any SSRI for a while for it to work.

I find meditation a cure for many ills now, wishy-washy as it sounds. Good luck with finding the most suitable drug, combined with CBT is supposed to be the most effective treatment, but there are loads of supplementary forms of therapy too. X