SAUK Discussion Board

Go Back   SAUK Discussion Board > Social Anxiety Discussions > The Social Anxiety Room
Join! Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Old 23rd April 2007, 17:34

Default Very odd physical symptom - possibly Anxiety-related

A couple of months ago I started getting twitches which my doctor put down to anxiety. They seem to have subsided now, although I do twitch every now and again when I'm in bed, but not enough to stop me sleeping. However, in the last week I've been experiencing this very odd feeling when I'm trying to get to sleep. When my eyes are closed and I'm fairly tired (although not on the brink of sleep) I get this strange, all-over intense 'rushing' sensation, accompanied by a 'rotating' feeling that's like being sucked into hell by some kind of powerful vortex. When I open my eyes, everything is back to normal. I've tried to just keep my eyes closed and ride it out, but it's impossible.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I should emphasise that it doesn't happen when I'm asleep or on the brink of sleep, so I don't think it's a sleep disorder per-se
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:39

Default Re: Very odd physical symptom - possibly Anxiety-related

yep loads of times its a very odd feeling i suffer from loads of wierd anxiety related symptoms..one for example is i had sensation of hot liquid running in my head really strange...
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:40

Something similar used to happen to me on the odd occasion ages ago, sort of like I suddenly started falling (maybe to some place like hell or somewhere? I'm not sure really), but it was a weird feeling, it was like it was more than just falling anyway, sorta disturbing.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:42

Does anyone sometimes hear a really loud 'bang' like a firework or something in their head while they're drifting off to sleep? It happens to me very rarely but it scares the life out of me and makes me jump.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:53

Mood
Fine

I got bad "twitches"in my body back in 2003/2004 when I was suffering from my worst period of anxiety.

As my anxiety lessened the twitches more or less disappeared so I guess the two things must have been linked.
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:54

Mood
Happy

oooh I hate the falling feeling when you're trying to get to sleep! That's one of the scariest things when you wake up from it!
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:55
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross PK
Does anyone sometimes hear a really loud 'bang' like a firework or something in their head while they're drifting off to sleep? It happens to me very rarely but it scares the life out of me and makes me jump.
Yes, I've had that - scares the hell out of me
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:58

I wonder what the **** it is?
Old 23rd April 2007, 17:59
I.G.

Must be strange tricks of the mind or something
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:04

The 'falling' thing that you're describing is perfectly normal - everyone experiences it. I think it's just something to do with being between consciousness and REM sleep, where your mind starts to dream. I quite like it, actually
Old 23rd April 2007, 18:08

Well, you'd think that if other people hear things while drifting off to sleep that it would just be random stuff. So not only is it strange that I always hear the same thing, but someone else hears exactly the same thing too. There must be something significant about it.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel

Its sometimes called Slow-wave sleep, its a state of compromise between active information processing and the gradual reduction of consciousness.

Even when your going to sleep/asleep, your brain is still listening (auditory cortical neurons are still firing), if you like then, its not unusual to hear noises, because although your attention is lowered (for instance your about to go into a deeper sleeping phrase,) your attention is still active ( even when your sleeping your brain is still paying attention), thats why you'll jump at a noise or feel a breeze on your face which will wake you up etc.

I know people are going to hate me for talking about evolution again, but when your sleeping it's important that your brain is still paying attention, because you may have to jump out the way of a predator or something ...fire maybe?..people wake up when they smell fire sometimes etc.

not bad!! Only they (neurons) fire not explode, or at least I hope they dont
Yeah but it doesn't sound like something that I hear outside of me like hearing something in my room, it's a really loud crisp clear explosion that I hear within my head.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:07

Quote:
Yes, I've had that quite frequently recently; you wake up with your heart pounding wondering what the hell is going on and whether it was real or not
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:17

Mood
Pensive

I've had the falling feeling too, feels like u are falling thru your bed!

I've had odd things in the past where u feel like u stop breathing for 1 second, and then take a big breath and your heart races... I think that was anxiety related but not sure... not had it for a few years now. Anyone had that??

I also have this horrible thing called Sleep Paralysis, u are drifting off to sleep and u can still hear everything around u but u cannot move at all!! Thats scary, and you often dream that u cannot breathe (but when u wake up, u can). The best way to get out of that is to not panic but relax then count to 10 and u should be able to open your eyes. I think that must be anxiety-related too.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemoore
I've had odd things in the past where u feel like u stop breathing for 1 second, and then take a big breath and your heart races... I think that was anxiety related but not sure... not had it for a few years now. Anyone had that??
Yup, I've had that! Maybe they're small panic attacks?

I've also had the sleep paralysis too, it feels really horrible.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:31
I.G.

Quote:

I've also had the sleep paralysis too.
Oh yeah! I get that very occasionally - that's got to be the worst. You wake up and can't move or even talk, and it feels like there's some evil presence in the room. Sometimes I've even seen a dark figure in the corner

Also known as 'Old Hag Syndrome':

http://paranormal.about.com/cs/ghost...s_ghosts08.htm
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:49

Mood
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intro Guy
Oh yeah! I get that very occasionally - that's got to be the worst. You wake up and can't move or even talk, and it feels like there's some evil presence in the room. Sometimes I've even seen a dark figure in the corner

Also known as 'Old Hag Syndrome':

http://paranormal.about.com/cs/ghost...s_ghosts08.htm
Oh my god! I thought I was just going crazy when i had that one, weird! Although it only happened once as far as I can remember
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:56

I've experienced that before. It was terrifying at the time, but part of me wants to experience it again
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:14
I.G.

I don't know how true this is, but I heard that sleep paralysis only ever happens if you're lying on your back.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:14

Mood
Pensive

Quote:
Yup, I've had that! Maybe they're small panic attacks?

I've also had the sleep paralysis too, it feels really horrible.
I think they are mini panic attacks too!

The Old Hag thing sounds scary, but I don't believe it!
When I have sleep paralysis, the feeling of not being able to breathe is usually because I'm lying awkwardly or have a blocked up nose (or I dream that I have!) Sometimes I dream that I will die, but then I tell myself to calm down!
My other senses seem to be awake though - I think that part of my brain is awake but the part that tells me to move is asleep
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:17
I.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosiemoore

The Old Hag thing sounds scary, but I don't believe it!
Woah there - no-one's suggesting that there is actually anything happening other than in your own mind. Old Hag Syndrome is just an alternative name for sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis definitely exists - I've experienced it many times and it's terrifying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_Paralysis
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:29

That all just makes me wish I'd done the sciency thing at school and become a researcher of sleep disorders. The whole sleep/dreams/sleep disorders stuff has always fascinated me
Old 24th April 2007, 11:59

Mood
Gloomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by trough
Yes, I've had that quite frequently recently; you wake up with your heart pounding wondering what the hell is going on and whether it was real or not
yeah i've had that too!

also does anyone get like this said....
Quote:
Sensorial hallucinations Electrical shocks; a sense of energy running
through the body; a shiver; tingling; tickling.
I get sometimes like a feeling that a spider or something is crawling up me leg or on me face...horrible, tickly sensation
Old 24th April 2007, 13:57

Mood
Brooding

I had a weird 'noise' in my head last night and it was really odd - I'm glad I'm not the only one!! It scared the crap out of me though...!!!
Old 24th April 2007, 18:38
I.G.

A couple of years ago I moved house to a much nicer and quieter area - since then, I've had no episodes of sleep paralysis. May be a coincidence, but definitely interesting - I was very stressed at the last place I lived as it was pretty rough.
Closed Thread